Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy a house with MS (do not attempt)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by FTaddict
Those who're saying its a crime/fraud or whatever, it is NOT. Lets be honest that there is a loophole in the system.
Bankruptcy fraud is very much a crime, once which the DOJ takes very seriously.

Even if one doesn't get nailed for full-on bankruptcy fraud, the sort of scheme discussed is a classic bad faith filing, which would get booted from court and the debtor wouldn't be able to obtain a discharge... FOREVER.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:23 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Reading your sig right after your post, I dunno what to believe too many mixed messages!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Talking

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey
Bankruptcy fraud is very much a crime, once which the DOJ takes very seriously.

Even if one doesn't get nailed for full-on bankruptcy fraud, the sort of scheme discussed is a classic bad faith filing, which would get booted from court and the debtor wouldn't be able to obtain a discharge... FOREVER.
don't want to bash you, but you sound like a corrupt politician
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by FTaddict
Those who're saying its a crime/fraud or whatever, it is NOT.
This is simply-- and unequivocally-- false. Plus, I would not use a slash ("/") because it is both fraud (a) as a crime (in the sense that you are knowingly misrepresenting an intention to repay the loan as an inducement to obtain the loan proceeds); and (b) under the Bankruptcy Code, an exception to discharge.

As a former bankruptcy attorney who represented debtors, I have attended my share of hearings where debt-run-up activity was explored in depth for the very purpose of establishing an exception to discharge. There are forensic accountants whose specialty is to trace money from it source, and I doubt any of the "diversification" techniques employed by MSers would pose any hurdles.

As an aside, and as someone who has bought a fair number of homes in my time, a substantial hurdle (and one I always found annoying) is establishing the source of monies being used towards the purchase. I suppose one could choose to not disclose the account into which all of those MOs are being deposited, but at the end of the day, if you intend to show up at closing with $100K in cash there are going to be questions asked. I think generally the idea is to make sure that money is not an undocumented loan which would throw off the calculations as to appropriate debt burden, but a large amount of undocumented cash is also likely to raise questions about your declared income, and ultimately your credit-worthiness.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by FTRox87
Reading your sig right after your post, I dunno what to believe too many mixed messages!
That's the point!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
don't want to bash you, but you sound like a corrupt politician
You forgot "illiterate" - I wrote "once which", instead of "one which"
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by ronnyk
As a former bankruptcy attorney who represented debtors, I have attended my share of hearings where debt-run-up activity was explored in depth for the very purpose of establishing an exception to discharge. There are forensic accountants whose specialty is to trace money from it source, and I doubt any of the "diversification" techniques employed by MSers would pose any hurdles.
Would love to see a 341 hearing in which the debtor was a heavy MSer -- "It's not my fault I was unable to liquidate all those GC; I bought them with the good faith expectation that I'd be able to liquidate!"
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I'm wondering when the IRS will decide that a guy who generates $100K in cashback, by MS-ing full-time, now has some nice taxable income, subject to penalties and interest.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by babalooie21204
as much as I didn't want to post.... I've bought an purchased several homes over the last 5 months. I have yet to find a bank or seller/title company that would allow purchase with a CC. Believe me i've asked, however, if you are in the middle of the country where homes are 10-50k you might be able to find someone
I'll second this. I've purchased 15 properties over the past 5 years, and you have to bring CERTIFIED FUNDS to the closing table. I'm not sure how this plan could even get off the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.