Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Cashier at local grocery wants SSN for AML form

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Here's the short version. At my favorite local grocery store (to remain anon to protect identity). I always go up to the service desk because they need a manager override anyways. Trying to buy 3 GCs to load to BB.

When I get up there, a young cashier starts to ring me up. She asks the manager for the ID so she can finish the transaction. The manager comes over and says, hey, I remember you, what's your name? So I tell her... she then says, you come in here a lot, and because you buy so many cards we have to start filling out paperwork on you. She shows me the form which needs two forms of ID and my SSN. She said they could sell me one a week otherwise.

Obviously this is total bs but I didn't want to start argue g with her right there. I'd go elsewhere but it's the only grocery in the area that sells GCs that load BB.

Has anyone argued with CSMs on this? Experience / ammunition? I know the AMLs are $3k a day, so the one a week thing is totally made up.

What are the risks of giving up my SSN? Anyone ever done this?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by querty122
Here's the short version. At my favorite local grocery store (to remain anon to protect identity).

What are the risks of giving up my SSN? Anyone ever done this?
Whose identity are u protecting?

No risk if u know how to create an anon SSN.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:30 pm

That is BS... but managers are basically god and you risk shutting yourself down if you don't bow down and worship the ground they walk on.

They don't need to sell anything to you regardless of whether you've reached AML limits (which btw, I think only kick in when they're selling money orders).

I had no issues giving my SSN when I was purchasing >$3k MOs at my fav store.
I personally am not that paranoid as I keep track of my SSN activity pretty well.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:45 pm

There are no aml on gift cards. The manager is an idiot, just like the Staples moron who told me he couldn't sell me more than a $100 due to 'federal law.'

These people are stupid, find a new store.

I buy 6k gift cards a day, at the least, and never once have I been asked to fill out a form.

Only when buying more than $3k money order and that's all typed into the WU Machine.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:52 pm
Suspended

The 1st thing to do is understand that your imaginary $3k AML limit is just that - imaginary. The store can set any tighter limits they see fit. If they want an DL and SSN for $500, that's their right.

2nd is to stop blaming the manager when you don't know who set the rule.

3rd is to either give up the info (or some reasonable facsimile of it) or leave. Simple as that.

All this pissing and moaning about stores and their rules won't alter the fact that when they make a make a change, you need find a way to work within it, and not waste time and energy trying to fight it.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
I personally am not that paranoid as I keep track of my SSN activity pretty well.
How do you know what happens after u give your SSN? you may keep track but it takes life of its own, can travel freely without a passport. These days I feel I am giving out SSN like candies.
By the way do u know which wmt has a kate around SNA? I know both in/around Irivne does not have (trying to save some gas) I have issue with my US Bank visas (10), at Wmt MC and cash registers rejection 'Debit not available' but some one posted it worked at kate, like to try before my alternative to buy OV cost me $5 per card at least can make it work with multiple swipes to BB, then I plan to retire. bye bye BB and AP! I had good run for many years
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
How do you know what happens after u give your SSN? you may keep track but it takes life of its own, can travel freely without a passport. These days I feel I am giving out SSN like candies.
By the way do u know which wmt has a kate around SNA? I know both in/around Irivne does not have (trying to save some gas) I have issue with my US Bank visas (10), at Wmt MC and cash registers rejection 'Debit not available' but some one posted it worked at kate, like to try before my alternative to buy OV cost me $5 per card at least can make it work with multiple swipes to BB, then I plan to retire. bye bye BB and AP! I had good run for many years
I usually see Ana and Kate hanging out together I've had issues with USB and bank debit cards as well. Not sure what's going on, but definitely feels like the noose keeps tightening.

As far as SSN... Meh.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:57 pm

Manager's store, manager's rules.

If you want to play there, you abide by them. Arguing isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
The 1st thing to do is understand that your imaginary $3k AML limit is just that - imaginary. The store can set any tighter limits they see fit. If they want an DL and SSN for $500, that's their right.

2nd is to stop blaming the manager when you don't know who set the rule.

3rd is to either give up the info (or some reasonable facsimile of it) or leave. Simple as that.

All this pissing and moaning about stores and their rules won't alter the fact that when they make a make a change, you need find a way to work within it, and not waste time and energy trying to fight it.
This.

super easy, hiccup free MS isn't a birth right, even in this era of entitlement.

all this calling managers idiots, etc- usually by newbs who are doing things a peg or 2 below 'rocket scientist' themselves *cough* regular $6000 GC purchases in a day at a store *cough* makes you guys look like a------s. contrary to your internal dialogue, you're NOT better than them.

some managers are dicks. same with cashiers. same with customers. your job is to identify them and work around them.

i'll say it, AGAIN: theses managers/supervisors are often not paid much. however, they value their jobs for that whole food/shelter/etc thing (google Maslow's hierarchy of needs if you're baffled by this revelation). if your behaviour seems unusual or suspicious, they are supposed to fill out an SAR. going to the customer service desk, that sells MO's and cashes checks, you are willfully going to the store employees who are guaranteed to be trained on SAR's. personally, i go nowhere near that desk for card acquisition. that is the card disposal area.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Like the 10+ OV swipes?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:50 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
yeah exactly if you dont pick atleast 10+ fights with cashiers or managers during the course of your MS day, you aint doing it right

just think of our hobby as ice hockey. if you're gonna step on ice, you gotta expect to break a few teeth and spill some blood. otherwise the game aint the game the way its meant to be played
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What's b.s. is the name-calling and "AML limits" stuff. The manager has an absolute obligation if she reasonably suspects a violation of the law to complete and file a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) and file it with Treasury. That's what she's doing.

Up to OP whether to do business or not. End of story.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:05 pm

The abuse of Collecting SSN?
If doctors and dentist offices can sell why not the retailers?
This link is investigative report from CBS 60 minutes. The 1st min and last 6 min are informative.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/irs-scam...ud-60-minutes/
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:30 pm

A lot of fraud schemes involving these cards are floating around. I honestly would be happy if they were gone
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed, we all would be glad if the fraudsters committing their schemes were gone. Just remember what the auditors say - Cards Don't Commit Fraud, People Do! If you take away all the gift cards in the world, it will not stop a single fraudster.

Originally Posted by Centurion
A lot of fraud schemes involving these cards are floating around. I honestly would be happy if they were gone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.