FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Vanilla Reloads! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1538688-vanilla-reloads.html)

BarnyardRomeo Jan 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 22117978)
Not sure if mentioned before, I bought four VR at CVS. Then scratched off to reveal the pin using a coin. The scratch off material smeared into a black streak and I could barely see the pin numbers. Freaking out was an understatement.

I was able to make out the numbers, but boy does it suck. I was careful and all, but for sure it is a product deficiency.

I was not in the mood to have $2K tied up. Not buying anymore from that CVS, although they have a huge inventory of VR.

between eating the bucket of KFC and scratching off the VR pin, it is recommended that you wash your hands with soap or at least wipe them very good. Ink used to print the VR pins does not interact well with KFC chicken juice.

WhateverDude Jan 10, 2014 7:03 pm

http://www.allmystery.de/i/t816cb3_5...rnet-fight.jpg

EkekoBWI Jan 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 22117978)
Not sure if mentioned before, I bought four VR at CVS. Then scratched off to reveal the pin using a coin. The scratch off material smeared into a black streak and I could barely see the pin numbers. Freaking out was an understatement.

I was able to make out the numbers, but boy does it suck. I was careful and all, but for sure it is a product deficiency.

I was not in the mood to have $2K tied up. Not buying anymore from that CVS, although they have a huge inventory of VR.

I ran into a similar situation with iTunes GCs where I pressed too hard and erased 1/2 the numbers. In that case, I wrote to Apple, explained what happened, and provided them with a receipt, bar code, and as many numbers as I could make out. They credited my account a few days later.

I imagine, but have not had the misfortune of testing, whether the same would hold true for VRs.

cuebert Jan 11, 2014 2:07 pm

You must have scratched really hard, or used a brillo pad or something.

brettskyg Jan 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Ice cream is now available at duane reades.

DCBob Feb 5, 2014 2:01 am

Originally Posted by brettskyg (Post 22136047)
Ice cream is now available at duane reades.

Duane Reade is owned by Walgreens. I would be shocked if they allowed purchase of a VR with a credit card. Did you only see them on the rack or did you actually buy them with a CC?

DCBob Feb 5, 2014 2:10 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22105849)

I'm quite willing to share that the CVS in downtown Madison and the one out on Mineral Point Rd. let you buy VRs with CCs and both keep them behind the counter, not on the racks. Plus the cashiers at the downtown CVS have been nice, friendly and helpful.

Well, I just want to let you know that you can no longer purchase VRs at the CVS at 2 Bedford Street in downtown Madison. I visited your very fine city on a Frontier mileage run ($98 R/T from DCA) and stopped into that CVS on January 31, a very cold day.

I went to the front counter and showed the cashier a used VR card and said I needed to buy 2 more. She seemed very knowledgeable and was very polite. But she informed me that the store had been putting in regular orders for VR cards and the last 3 or 4 were never filled. It seems that CVS may no longer be stocking VR cards, at least in some parts of the country.

When is the last time you actually purchased a VR card at the downtown CVS in Madison??

jan_believes Feb 5, 2014 8:49 am

Originally Posted by cuebert (Post 22134279)
You must have scratched really hard, or used a brillo pad or something.

Brillo pad! LOL!

JerMah Feb 5, 2014 11:06 am

Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo (Post 22100969)
you would be crazy to move now that you finally found a store that will sell them to you with a cc.

I can't help but laugh at this. You're telling OP that they're crazy to move because they found a store with a bunch of VRs that allows CC purchases? Man, your priorities are screwed up royally.

mtftw Feb 5, 2014 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by JerMah (Post 22291900)
I can't help but laugh at this. You're telling OP that they're crazy to move because they found a store with a bunch of VRs that allows CC purchases? Man, your priorities are screwed up royally.

I'll bet you 20 VRs that he was being sarcastic.

KiasuChick Feb 5, 2014 3:21 pm

Wow, I've not logged into FT since Dec 15th 2011. Been lurking and got sick of FWF.

Got my AA Exec card today (100k bonus deal) and managed to get $4500 VR at local CVS in one txn. First time in months they've had them, and allowed cc, and WOW over $1k!!

Not sure what changed but the manager/cashier were super helpful. Told them I needed $10k spending for 100k miles.

PaulMSN Feb 5, 2014 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 22289481)
Well, I just want to let you know that you can no longer purchase VRs at the CVS at 2 Bedford Street in downtown Madison....

Such an absolute statement. They were just out and hadn't gotten more for a while, but it couldn't have been more than 20 or so days, because I filled my BB in the first third of January, and just bought some yesterday.

ORD-TGU Feb 6, 2014 12:08 pm

I live in chicago, and chicago area is difficult to find. All stores that previously had plenty, now are out of stock. I found two stores near ohare, both had plenty, in the tens of dozens, picked up some, then next week all gone. Supervisor stated that people steal them. Was on a business trip to Grand Rapids, MI and went to 3 stores, all gone. Drove by Chesterton, IN and they had some. I am getting tired of searching for these VR. I do stop by CVS along my route, so not driving around, but it is getting old.

PS - Almost had a heart attack with yesterday's news that cvs would stop selling something, I though VR had made national news, thank goodness it is tobacco not VR!

maksimfa Feb 6, 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 22110428)
Agreed. South Jersey is where everyone looking for VRs should be. I'm rounding up all those snowbirds cramping my style in South Florida and packing over the Jersey state line!

South jersey folks are typically not the ones to go to Florida.

THAT would be north jersey and New Yorkers.

tymothy Feb 6, 2014 12:57 pm

CVS across the street from me was chock full of VRs, probably 50+. Tried to buy one and the cashier said it was cash only.

Is that hard coded into the system for a store or just a policy clerks are told about? Imagining I might get a different response if I try back by the pharmacy or throw in some extra stuff. Didn't see any signs listing any policies about VRs.