FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Vanilla Reloads! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1538688-vanilla-reloads.html)

maddie5218 Jan 6, 2014 9:59 pm

Vanilla Reloads!

After a depressing decline from 7/11 for Vanilla Reloads with a CC (which I didn't realize before going wasn't even possible), I decided to try CVS today in my town after being out a couple of days ago and seeing them at a different store in my area. Much to my delight, the store I went to today had tons of Vanilla Reloads, just like the other one. I bought one and wanted to try it to make sure everything worked since it was my first time and only put $100 on it. I felt like I had won the lottery when everything went through since I know some people have issues! Yay!

Also, a question. A lot of people have difficulty finding the cards. Is that because they're looking in big cities? Because every store I went in had loads of them (in South Jersey btw). If that is the case, does anybody know of any CVS stores in the Los Angeles area that usually has cards and allows them to be bought with CCs? I'm moving there at the end of the month and want to know that I'll be able to continue out there!

Thanks!

BarnyardRomeo Jan 6, 2014 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by maddie5218 (Post 22100512)
After a depressing decline from 7/11 for Vanilla Reloads with a CC (which I didn't realize before going wasn't even possible), I decided to try CVS today in my town after being out a couple of days ago and seeing them at a different store in my area. Much to my delight, the store I went to today had tons of Vanilla Reloads, just like the other one. I bought one and wanted to try it to make sure everything worked since it was my first time and only put $100 on it. I felt like I had won the lottery when everything went through since I know some people have issues! Yay!

Also, a question. A lot of people have difficulty finding the cards. Is that because they're looking in big cities? Because every store I went in had loads of them (in South Jersey btw). If that is the case, does anybody know of any CVS stores in the Los Angeles area that usually has cards and allows them to be bought with CCs? I'm moving there at the end of the month and want to know that I'll be able to continue out there!

Thanks!

you would be crazy to move now that you finally found a store that will sell them to you with a cc.

gloreglabert Jan 6, 2014 11:46 pm

Big metro areas tend to be harder because (1) more fraud, and therefore stores more hesitant to sell on CC, and (2) of the limited stores remaining, much higher demand for a limited supply of VRs.

Or you can move to the middle of nowhere like me, where nobody blinks at selling VRs but I have to drive over two hours to get to the nearest real airport.

tsmith12 Jan 7, 2014 12:31 am

Originally Posted by maddie5218 (Post 22100512)

Thanks!

Let's just say you won't have to drive far in LA to find a CVS selling beans with CC. =)

truptravels Jan 7, 2014 7:35 am

I think a lot of CVS's have them, its just being able to use a CC that isn't always possible. In OKC where i live, i have found 1 out of about 15 that will accept a credit card. They know me on a first name basis and know that i always buy 2 cards for $495.

maddie5218 Jan 7, 2014 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12 (Post 22101163)
Let's just say you won't have to drive far in LA to find a CVS selling beans with CC. =)

Do you know of a store in LA that lets you buy with a cc??? PM me??? :)

craz Jan 7, 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by maddie5218 (Post 22104647)

I didnt ask you where in South NJ a person can buy them , nor did you post where we can

My advice is simple before you hit LA, go online to cvs.com use a zip code where you will be and bingo a bunch of addresses will pop up.Then 1 by 1 hit them

How many PMs will you reply with where in SNJ you can get them? thats about how many folks should PM you where in LA.I assume the answer will be ZIPPO

worse comes to worse like me on Sun you drive into a CV only to leave empty handed eventually you will find a few just like I did as I was doing my errands

PaulMSN Jan 7, 2014 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 22105639)
I didnt ask you where in South NJ a person can buy them , nor did you post where we can

My advice is simple before you hit LA, go online to cvs.com use a zip code where you will be and bingo a bunch of addresses will pop up.Then 1 by 1 hit them

How many PMs will you reply with where in SNJ you can get them? thats about how many folks should PM you where in LA.I assume the answer will be ZIPPO

worse comes to worse like me on Sun you drive into a CV only to leave empty handed eventually you will find a few just like I did as I was doing my errands

You're positing that FTers are selfish folk. I don't think we're all like that.

I'm quite willing to share that the CVS in downtown Madison and the one out on Mineral Point Rd. let you buy VRs with CCs and both keep them behind the counter, not on the racks. Plus the cashiers at the downtown CVS have been nice, friendly and helpful.

Now, this doesn't help maddie5218 one bit, but the thought is there.

particlemn Jan 7, 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by maddie5218 (Post 22104647)

LA is a big place, and there are lots CVS there, i have only found one that wont let me use a credit card

craz Jan 7, 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22105849)
You're positing that FTers are selfish folk. I don't think we're all like that.

I'm quite willing to share that the CVS in downtown Madison and the one out on Mineral Point Rd. let you buy VRs with CCs and both keep them behind the counter, not on the racks. Plus the cashiers at the downtown CVS have been nice, friendly and helpful.

Now, this doesn't help maddie5218 one bit, but the thought is there.

No I wasnt saying FTers are selfish if anything its the very opposite. Its just before I would have started a thread or even asked on an existing thread, where in Madison can I get VRs with my CC. I would have gone onto cvs.com put in a zip and see how many stores came up and how far apart they are from 1 another

Assuming there arent many I would have hit 2 that are cloe to one another or are closest to where I will be staying and sees what gives. If and only if I stuck out after hitting 3-4 places then I might have come onto FT saying boy I hit 4 Cvs while in Madison and they all were ca$h only are there any place nearby to score any. I could also see if a person posted I will be staying at XXXXX and the nearest CV is 25 miles away does anyone know if I can use my CC there,Id hate to waste all that time and gas and walk away empty, yet when they get there the store may be out.

But there was a new thread just started for Miami as well. Been down there a few times since I started MSing you wont find a single post asking anyone for the addresses of the stores, I simply went put in the zips where I will be and hit them as well as others as I past them. I would also understand if VR didnt list the names of places to get them and a person had no idea. Its not rocket science and I havent read where any of these new posters said, hey if anyone will be heading to my neck of the woods _____ PM me for the places I get them using a CC

yet I told the OP 1 very good piece of advice go onto cvs.com put in the zip and bingo there will be more places in LA theyn they will have time to go to.I didnt tell the OP to go ____ I told them exactly what I do and did and its worked every time , although not at every store, but if a person wont invest some time doing the homework they dont belong in the game.

Besides a place Ive never had any problems getting 4 using 4 different CCs today was only 1 CC. the 2nd place where it was 1 CC took 4, and my #1 place was bone dry. what good is it to know Main & 3rd only to get there and its bone dry or they run into what I did. Then theyd be back here asking any other places besdies Main & 3rd. My way they will have a list of 25 places that are closest to where they will be, and 1 by 1 hit them

PaulMSN Jan 7, 2014 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 22105965)
No I wasnt saying FTers are selfish if anything its the very opposite...

There's this old saw about reinventing the wheel. If I have the info, I'll share it if it means someone else doesn't have to wander all over town.

I see no virtue in doing unnecessary legwork, and I don't need a quid pro quo.

craz Jan 7, 2014 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22106091)
There's this old saw about reinventing the wheel. If I have the info, I'll share it if it means someone else doesn't have to wander all over town.

I see no virtue in doing unnecessary legwork, and I don't need a quid pro quo.

Thers also an old saying you can either feed a person or teach them how to fish so they can feed themselves besides the 1 meal you provide.

I have no doubts that all these new folks asking for PMs of the places will simply keep making new threads each time they head to a different city. Im only trying to teach them how to provide for themselves so that they wont start numerous threads about each city

For the heck of it I put in Madison and it returned 25 stores of cause only the 1st 3 are within 6 miles the 4th is 9 miles and then bingo 32 miles. In parts of LA 25 may be in LA itself although that could mean a 15 mile drive in between. So what good does it do if I say the store on Main & 3rd when that will be 12 miles from where they are gonna be, and had they simply went to cv.com and input the address they would have found 10 with a 20 min walking distance. Which is what I did 1 day while overnighting at LAX, my luck the 2 CVs were bone dry but I passed by 3 7s when the 7s were still working and was all :-)

To me its like someone asking help in finding a Saver award and didnt even bother to check the carriers site themselves they just arent interested in doing any homework.If that person isnt shown how to find award space they will always be back here asking for someone to do the work for them

But the least these folks should have done was offer to PM anyone where they get theres near where they work or live and say if anyone plans on being in or near Baldwin,LI,NY PM me and I will PM you back the places I go to.Not 1 did that

PaulMSN Jan 7, 2014 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 22106658)
Thers also an old saying you can either feed a person or teach them how to fish so they can feed themselves besides the 1 meal you provide...

It's a lame saying when you're talking about simple information. What I get is that you want others to conform to your standards before you're willing to help them. I simply don't understand such a point of view.

Wise-Broccoli8301 Jan 7, 2014 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22107038)
It's a lame saying when you're talking about simple information. What I get is that you want others to conform to your standards before you're willing to help them. I simply don't understand such a point of view.

Meh. Some people just want the exclusivity of the deal they just found out. If everyone thought like that, we wouldn't have sites like FT and SlickDeals where people share best practices with others. Isn't the whole purpose of the Internet to share information?

craz Jan 7, 2014 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22107038)

That's OK I don't understand those who don't care if a person isn't willing to do the work themselves to spoon feed them and have who knows how many others start threads asking for PMs for each and every city.Whats lame is if something is so simple why ask for the info.

We simply will have to agree to disagree on what help should be provided to someone who 1- doesn't want to do the simple work for themselves and 2 doesn't offer others the info they know about but want others to provided to them that which they know