Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

² 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I'm not safe, am I?
In all seriousness the only folks who might know the answer to that are any Amex lurkers monitoring this thread.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by NuSilvMedal
Been lurking around here since the ax dropped last week. Only MSing I’ve ever done was with SkyMiles and savings bonds about 20 years ago. Had been considering jumping back in. Glad I haven’t. But…

--to all who are considering any form of litigation to get their justly “earned” rewards, consider clawback:
“1. A financial or other benefit that is given, but is later taken back due to unique circumstances. A common example of this is when particular investments are purchased, they provide taxable benefits to the purchaser, but if the investments are sold before they mature, these benefits are required to be returned.” Do you think if you throw up a flag and publicly claim that AMEX owes you $6K, that they are going to ignore the fact that you are admitting they have paid you $250K (or much more) in what they now will claim as fraudulently obtained rewards? I’d say some need to be looking for ways to mortgage the house to pay AMEX back.

--to Marathon Man—ironically your FT bio reads “Work is the price you pay for money.” You would not have become addictedly-engaged this unless you thought it was easy work and therefore easy money. Not sure how the ego got so inflated over what is such a truly niche arena. It really doesn’t do you any good to disparage others for bringing down your house of “cards”, when you knew the risks of your actions from day one. You’ll just have to find your next easy money trick.

Looks like this work of manufacturing money may end up coming at a very high price to many individuals and their families.

I dont do ego. I know that things come and go and things could end. I know and knew that this card could end or something could change to end what we do. I do know new things come along but I also do not go round thinking it's ok to see things blown out of the water because something new might come along.

Alls I did man was present ideas people might want to use. I do not say we should do them or not. It's up to you all. Some of it has worked for me and others in previous instances with CCs.

It is however up to everyone here to research and consider it on their own.

Clawback has happened in things. Yes you have to wonder if amex would try it. I can say that their defense team would try to discredit you, the plaintiff in any and every way they can and may even find was to cross reference your FT handle with your real identity. Therefore, if you ever posted something in here like, "Let's screw em!" it would come up in SCC if it could.

However, SCC is court but it is different. It runs more like a community leader making an individual case by case situational decision. In saying that, I would recommend SCC over regular court or any class action. But like I said, I aint no lawyer and so my ideas or advice here are simply for your consideration.

Take all in the information in. Consider all the sides of the argument. Show your ideas to some friend or fam member who knows nothing of MS. See what they would say. (btw it is likely that the media would spin it unfavorably for the MSer)

I did expect a few things with my Blue:

1) if I got a FR then that would have been on me, my mistake or bad luck. If I survived it they might slash CL. It would stink but that would be my issue I would have to live with.

2) if GCs or other MS stuff stopped working around me or everywhere, same thing. It would end slowly on its own.

3) if Amex said hey we are going to cap this or somehow indicates a ramp down coming up soon, then that too is fathomable.

4) but to have this happen in this way---I do not think many here have ever seen that take place so it was a shocker like no other. And they knew it and they planned it that way (the timing being around most peoples's cut date) with a cunning not unlike that of many MSers themselves! But even worse, because in my opoinion, and in the opinion of others, they took back the CB we actually just earned. It's one thing to talk about what would have posted for next month based on October's charges. But the stuff you just did that shows up on your statement you just got? Well that's nasty. That is what bites us all. That is what one would want to pursue if even thinking on those lines.

5) does this kill MS/ Well it sure puts a dent in it. But it shows us one more time (and in the past 12 years on here and 15 years doing this I HAVE seen it many times before) that when a company puts forth an offer, then fails to pay out on that offer when you do what they said you can do, it is a scam. People think "companies" would never do this sort of thing because 'companies" are all moral and ethical and have TCs... but the fact is and has been since the time miles were invented (and before) that they just want to make the money and not let you do it. They are saying loud and clear: "WE get to get the money and do it, not you!"

6) Why did Amex not add the words "gift card" to their TCs? Why did they simply not add a few lines of code to their system to prevent items they say they do not allow to simply NOT earn CB? Why are they shutting you down because their IT department and marketing department do not do their jobs? I do hope that some of those folks got canned. Don't you?

if I were to sue in SCC, I would go for triple damages if and where I could.

again, it's all up to the reader. I aint sayini one way or the other. I am just reporting what I think about.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I dont do ego. I know that things come and go and things could end. I know and knew that this card could end or something could change to end what we do. I do know new things come along but I also do not go round thinking it's ok to see things blown out of the water because something new might come along.
Give it a rest.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:13 am

You have to train yourself what to believe? You are the George Costanza of manufactured spending. I'm interested and appalled at the same time...

So AMEX is really the one guilty of abusing the system, and not the MS community? Right...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aGeist
Give it a rest.
Originally Posted by bigugly
You have to train yourself what to believe? You are the George Costanza of manufactured spending. I'm interested and appalled at the same time...

So AMEX is really the one guilty of abusing the system, and not the MS community? Right...
I just love it how all these folks like you goobers come out of the wood work when the chips are down.

When everything is clippin along nicely I bet yous guys are out there doing the exact same stuff. But once something like this happens, you are the first type to get all over someone. Especially when it's about trying to recoup.

Sure, this thing may have no legs and could go nowhere. There's even the real possibility it could backfire somehow

But are you suggesting people should just TAKE IT?

Lemme axe ya... If you had X$ in the game--or in any deal--and you felt in your heart of hearts you did nothing wrong and wanted it back, would you fight for it or just let it go?

Yes. Just like knowing what to say or rehearsing for an interview or something, one has to make sure one knows what they believe and can articulate it. If not, you get up there in the small claims court and flub up and cant get your points across.

SCC is almost more about how you present what you got than anything else. It's like a boxing match. I have been in SCC before and done quite well over all. Have you?

Give the negativity a rest. People don't have to listen to me or my ideas of possible hope and recourse, but they certainly DO NOT need to listen to posters who are simply trying to entice frustration and negativity. Learn to floor your comments in a better way, ok?

Thank you.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And yes, that is what I would argue in SCC. I would present MY side that would state why I think they abused us.

It would be their job to present THEIR side as to why we abused them.

It would be the SCC judge to decide in one favor or the other.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Those still alive - anyone get their RD to post yet?
Not yet, but I'm watching like a hawk.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Those still alive - anyone get their RD to post yet?
Originally Posted by thadeusd3
Not yet, but I'm watching like a hawk.
Nope, nothing yet.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:34 am

There is something very unusual. No reward posted yet at 8:30 AM ET.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: UA AA SPG HILTON AMTRAK
Very usual to me. Mine always posts around 1pm.

Originally Posted by zgrzfg
There is something very unusual. No reward posted yet at 8:30 AM ET.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mxhjustin
Very usual to me. Mine always posts around 1pm.
my recent experience showed my acct was done when this exact thing happened. Sorry if I am right
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:51 am

^
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

again, it's all up to the reader. I aint sayini one way or the other. I am just reporting what I think about.
Yawn.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More MM babble

A few other things...

The goal here is not to just be one of those people who likes to sue everything for the sake of it and looks forward to doing so. No, not at all. We try to avoid that whenever possible.

But in MS and anything like it--and even in NON MS, whenever there are deals or offers or promos, companies WILL sometimes try to weasel out of what they themselves put forth at the 11th hour. So you have to have in your quiver the ability and wherewithal to go after them, or the pure understanding that if you chose to let it go, then it is done for you. And sadly, if you let it go, it is one more notch for them and thus harder for the next guy to fight them. Think about this: If FT or any forum is a community of people who share and help one another get deals, then we need to also help one another save or recoup deals. At least wherever possible.

A lot of companies putting forth any offers often do these purges because they KNOW a great percentage of people will just cave and let it go for whatever reason. One may be that these people somehow never even believed they should get said reward anyway. Again, I am talking about even NON MS promos that fall apart here. So that's why you have to know what you went in for and if you believe it should have worked out, then you can present a case to get it set right.

It all comes down to how, if a company does pull an offer for whatever reason, they likely have a bigger coffer of time and money to deal with backlash than we individuals do and they may have to pay out on a few who complain and sue, but they still come out ahead.

Maybe it's time, therefore, to BE one of those few who do go after them.

Just like trying to get an award seat on LH in F for a flight to Oktoberfest in Munich, you gotta book that award and lock it in before everyone else does.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Yawn.
yer another one of them aintcha.

hope you got all your cash back mate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.