Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

² 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Hbax
Reading the results of Round Two of the bloodbath is making me sad, but paranoid. I got an e-mail today from AE with my name in the title and I just froze. Turns out they just wanted to alert me to the "new and exciting digital enhancements coming soon to AE.COM".

Geez.
I read that one as Digital Enforcements at first and freaked out a bit.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:16 pm

a lot of people assuming that this is all amex is going to do to people. it's pretty early to be doing that. if I had been doing 30-50-100k/ month, I'd be worrying about the FR shoe to drop. going out on a limb here that the 20 something's here whose job was MSing blue might not have the income certification to back up 7 figure spending.

as I have said in many threads, my strategy is to be a profitable customer. does that help me? idk, but it seems a logical plan. that's why I never did blue hard- when the reward is 5% cash, you're a liability from jump. as I've also posted, I'm STUNNED this went on this long. but from the # of news boating of big #'s and apparently some genius doing seminars on this... duh. there were people making nicely into 6 figures with AU cards. honestly, if I'd have known it would last this long I'd have done it too. a few 100,000 is worth more than my amex relationship! so, hard to be a hypocrite and blame them too much ( well, except Mr. Seminar).

I say all this when my only interest in this card was for a disabled relative with a terrible disease who cannot make ends meet on the $720/mo from disability. So I propped up someone's credit via AU and taught to MS just this 1 card. this was an extra $400-500 that was really needed.

for many this is a game. for some, no.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:19 pm

I'd bet Venturion's card is still alive and he probably redeemed 6 figures worth of rewards today.

Am I right?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
And if shut down it would prevent you being able to "earn" "your (lol) money"?
"My" (lol) money is a return on investment in playing a risky game legally exploiting a loophole that, until recently, was not costly enough to the card issuer to bother plugging up. I am not relying on these rewards that I do not deserve, but will continue rolling along at a medium pace until this ends.

I just find it... interesting... that a very sizable number of people here truly believe they deserve and are entitled to their 4-5 figure rewards, to a point that they are willing to 1) pursue litigation, and 2) hasten the end of this program for everyone else, now that THEY are out of the program.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by sybloc
I'd bet Venturion's card is still alive and he probably redeemed 6 figures worth of rewards today.

Am I right?
Didn't get it, who are you referring to?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigugly
"My" (lol) money is a return on investment in playing a risky game legally exploiting a loophole that, until recently, was not costly enough to the card issuer to bother plugging up. I am not relying on these rewards that I do not deserve, but will continue rolling along at a medium pace until this ends.

I just find it... interesting... that a very sizable number of people here truly believe they deserve and are entitled to their 4-5 figure rewards, to a point that they are willing to 1) pursue litigation, and 2) hasten the end of this program for everyone else, now that THEY are out of the program.
I don't know if there are that many who people believe that they "deserve" the rewards, it's just the end-game, trying to squeeze the last bit of profit.

And since this is all self-interest, why should people worry about the program continuing for anonymous others? How does any such concern outweigh trying to get an extra 4-5 figures back? This is MS, not the care and compassion forum.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by concordian
The man, the myth, the legend.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
I only pointed out you were oblivious to shut downs. You said a few pages back no shut downs were happening at statement close.

I never offered any opinion in WHY the accounts are being shut down. Try ready my whole post next time.

And please don't whine when your account gets shut down at statement close either. Then I'll get some popcorn and watch you cry and ......
Hahaha. I don't plan on it worrying about. I pay bills and move on.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bean
Yes. Statement cut today.
Well done!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bean
Yes. Statement cut today.
Originally Posted by grayland
Think of all the chuckles and fun the Amex folks are having reading all these posts.

They do follow these forums!
Originally Posted by LoneTree
I read that one as Digital Enforcements at first and freaked out a bit.
Haha. Omg. I need to switch to peanuts and beer. Munch munch. Sky falling....
(I had the same reaction though. )
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
a lot of people assuming that this is all amex is going to do to people. it's pretty early to be doing that. if I had been doing 30-50-100k/ month, I'd be worrying about the FR shoe to drop. going out on a limb here that the 20 something's here whose job was MSing blue might not have the income certification to back up 7 figure spending.

as I have said in many threads, my strategy is to be a profitable customer. does that help me? idk, but it seems a logical plan. that's why I never did blue hard- when the reward is 5% cash, you're a liability from jump. as I've also posted, I'm STUNNED this went on this long. but from the # of news boating of big #'s and apparently some genius doing seminars on this... duh. there were people making nicely into 6 figures with AU cards. honestly, if I'd have known it would last this long I'd have done it too. a few 100,000 is worth more than my amex relationship! so, hard to be a hypocrite and blame them too much ( well, except Mr. Seminar).

I say all this when my only interest in this card was for a disabled relative with a terrible disease who cannot make ends meet on the $720/mo from disability. So I propped up someone's credit via AU and taught to MS just this 1 card. this was an extra $400-500 that was really needed.

for many this is a game. for some, no.
I tend to agree with you.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by MikeR397
The man, the myth, the legend.
does 1 out of 3 count?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:43 pm

Amex is on shaky ground if it really intends to claim that gift cards are cash equivalents. If they're correct, then why are people earning points for buying Amex gift cards with Amex credit cards? That is a purchase that Amex fully controls and where Amex knows exactly what people are buying, but it awards points. It apparently even needs to incentivize people to buy them by awarding cash back through portals. We can argue nuances (pin vs no pin), but the bottom line is that neither Amex nor MC/Visa gift cards can be deposited at a bank, nor can you withdraw cash from them at an ATM or a point of sale. A true cash equivalent is something like a money order, cashiers check, dollar coins, currency, etc.

I suspect that Amex understands this and will eventually credit all reward dollars, though I think it will take several months for this to happen.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by concordian
The heavy hitter that makes other heavy hitters think they aren't going hard enough...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Going legal on 'em?

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Amex is on shaky ground if it really intends to claim that gift cards are cash equivalents. If they're correct, then why are people earning points for buying Amex gift cards with Amex credit cards? That is a purchase that Amex fully controls and where Amex knows exactly what people are buying, but it awards points. It apparently even needs to incentivize people to buy them by awarding cash back through portals. We can argue nuances (pin vs no pin), but the bottom line is that neither Amex nor MC/Visa gift cards can be deposited at a bank, nor can you withdraw cash from them at an ATM or a point of sale. A true cash equivalent is something like a money order, cashiers check, dollar coins, currency, etc.

I suspect that Amex understands this and will eventually credit all reward dollars, though I think it will take several months for this to happen.
One of the TCs states that you cannot earn points on buying prepaid cards though. This is the one that is sticky.

I can argue upside down and sideways the differences between a GC and a prepaid card as we know them: A prepaid card, designed often by bancorp and green dot is meant for the unbanked and for small transactions and bill pays. It gets loaded and used as such the same way a checking account might but also looks like a Visa/MC. Blulebird and Serve are also somewhat in this category but cannot be loaded with a CC. Prepaid cards can be at times in the sense that one could buy one for first load at stores like CVS but the card itself cannot be loaded with a CC. Redbird was not yet out when all this went down.

A GC (giftcard) is bought and loaded once. TO me they are different, but I do not know what a judge or any other entity would say they are or what we should know. When I read the TCs I figured I was fine in buying GCs because for me they are not prepaid cards and yes, they are not cash equivalents. But like I said, for those considering legal action, it comes down to what the judge interprets or what the known accepted legal definition of a prepaid card is and if that's the same definition that Amex subscribes to.

I should think that anyone here who bought GCs may need to consider this. Did Venturian buy them too? Did you buy them? They could just DECIDE that anyone who did buy them is bad and done. And once your account is closed they could claim that rewards, even those showing up on say last night's statement, are now gone. But if you could get it across that you followed the TCs to the best of your understanding of what things meant (ie that you never bought prepaid cards) then you may have a leg to stand on.

As well, you can argue that there is no evidence that you failed to use the card for personal, family or household use, which is what they are telling us was the main reason for shut down. That and the breaking of some TC.

And then there's this: Why did Amex give us the CB to begin with? I should think that, yeah, ok, so they tell us hey these things aint supposed to be earning rewards --and so they don't. But to just shut us down without warning? Days or hours before cut? That looks like some sort of sinister act that any small claims judge would drool over hearing about in your favor!

And what about the fact that they let you charge and charge knowing in secret they would shut you down and so they earned all these swipe fees from merchants. I guess you could even tell the judge that they should give those back? They did this on purpose the way they did it. Completely crafted to fall where most people's statements land. Mine for example, cut last night but showed nothing new. I figured something was up and in the AM I get the email stating my acct is cancelled JUST before I see my statement appear and the online account showed that I now have a payment due for next month! Someone spent more time planning how to "get us back" than they had on preventing their own problems to begin with! Again, a SCC judge would eat that up.

On our side, note of course that companies can put ANYTHING they want into TCs... But in court it is a matter of whether your state accepts that, and how your judge interprets such matters, following all legalize of course.

Now it does depend on your state... in MA things are easier when it comes to someone needing to sue something. In some states I find it is much harder for the plaintiff.

As I have mentioned to others for CCs that have done this (like Chase, Barclays, Citi and WF to name a few), there are cases where you well, have a case:

Usually the CCs argument is that the contract between you the cardholder and them is that they can close an account for whatever reason.

...and that a closed account forfeits all points.

So what you need to do is counter this because what they are doing is a reversal of sorts.

First: find out EXACTLY who or what department to sue and get it perfectly right. Then no matter what, if you do get a court date, do make sure to show up and don't miss it.

Have your ducks in a row and say your piece. Have paperwork.

Remember:

You need to mention "Bait & Switch!" You are claiming this is what they did to you:

You had a lot of points. Yes they can close an acct at any time but why would they? You think they only did so because they don't want to award you on that fact you had all those points. They needed to make up what you shall call a near 'criminal' reason to take them away. They will try to tell you that you were the abuser when it's clear they are.

Stick to that and you should be ok. Remember. You did what the card allows in its TCs. Only once you got a lot of points did THEY act by becoming the aggressor and closing it on you without notice or without recourse (they should have at least let you redeem everything first)

They are trying to pull a reversal by saying they can close it for any reason and only then using that to now take your points. But you are sticking to the fact that the reason they closed you was to not give up them points and that's a scam-clearly.

Do use words like bait and switch, criminal, theft, etc

you have to stick with what you believe or what you train yourself to believe.

You entered the contract to use the card pay the bill and get the points. You did nothing wrong but earn a lot of them whilst following all and only their own TCs. Nothing more. You paid your bills and were on time etc. If this is all true, why ELSE would they close you off?

Banks do NOT want to show up and have to explain why they closed people's accounts. For this reason it is likely they will settle although I know of at least one case that did go to court but the bank lost there anyway! They just wanted to tire and mess with the plaintiff, who did not give up and got everything back incl his fees and costs.

Stick with that and you win. It don't matter what you bought or when. You followed what the TCs allow. That is unless the judge is unfair, which is unlikely.

Of course in the case of Amex Blue, they did give a reason AND there's the concern over what the items in the TCs mean and whether they apply. So there's a lot to think about here.

I aint no lawyer... but to those of you thinking of anything along these lines, just think about all this for a bit and try to figure out what might happen. Would they say: Hey you earned for months so we want all that money back? Or would they not even show up in court and you win by default? Would they settle out of court? All things to think about.

Maybe this will be helpful to someone.

MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.