Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

² 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
No...walmart, target and Costco are considered wholesale stores and do not qualify for 5% cashback
Some Walmart Neighborhood Markets are coded as grocery stores, which qualify for 5% CB. I am lucky enough to have one that is 5 minutes drive from home, and all transactions get 5%.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buschoi
Do you mean the existing card or the new Blue Cash card?

In January my new Blue Cash was only approved for the standard $2K many others here have got. I called AMEX and was able to transfer CL from my SPG card, which was opened in 2009 to buy coins (before it was even widely known). Two weeks later, the SPG card with the reduced CL then received an automatic CL increase without me asking. So all is well.
The "From" account needs to be at least a year old. In the past, the rule was that the "To" account had to be 60+ days old, but as Buschoi states, several of us where able to transfer CL to Blue Cash the day we got the card.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by silver6054
My limit was good as well ($40K+) but I thought the smaller the ratio of MS to CL, the better!
Wow. I have 15K and asked for 27K
Old May 4, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by angelion2014
How about repaying it many times? Might be 0 risk since you payed already
I am afraid this may bring their attention, then being under my CL.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
You can transfer CLs between AmEx cards
My transfer/Upgrade requests are declined by Amex. Reason, need to see more history with us.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:05 pm

Anyone have any issues with actions that have been interpreted as prepaying by other banks in the past? For example making payments to immediately free up CL (not above & beyond your official AmEx approved CL) and then utilizing the newly available credit to make purchases prior to said payments fully posting / being reflected by your outstanding balance?
Old May 4, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by mster
Anyone have any issues with actions that have been interpreted as prepaying by other banks in the past? For example making payments to immediately free up CL (not above & beyond your official AmEx approved CL) and then utilizing the newly available credit to make purchases prior to said payments fully posting / being reflected by your outstanding balance?
AMEX does NOT like this.
I would not attempt it if I was you.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:43 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by mster
Don't do this. I had problems with this even when it is not for MS. Every once in a while, prepaying won't work even though online it appears to work. I had to call it in. The CSR was not happy. We had to discuss why I was doing it. Thank goodness it wasn't at a place known for MS.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jmw
Don't do this. I had problems with this even when it is not for MS. Every once in a while, prepaying won't work even though online it appears to work. I had to call it in. The CSR was not happy. We had to discuss why I was doing it. Thank goodness it wasn't at a place known for MS.
Really? What kind of problems did you have?

I was doing that and then AmEx incresased my CL without me asking for it.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer

I am curious, too. I have been doing it, and AMEX has been giving me CL increases, too, without me asking.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer

Originally Posted by buschoi
I am curious, too. I have been doing it, and AMEX has been giving me CL increases, too, without me asking.
It's been mentioned on other forums that AMEX has FR'd users.
They don't mind if you do it once or twice, but if you continually do so... You might be hearing from them.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by jmw
LOL, I only have a $1k CL, so I do this 8-10 times per month. Sure, I'll get shut down eventually, but I didn't burn a hard pull to earn $50 per month.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Transferring account must be a year old.
I was told 13 months by CSR. Trying to find corroboration somewhere ...

[i know because since theni have had that day marked (not with circles or arrows), for TEN MONTHS now.]
Old May 4, 2014, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
It's been mentioned on other forums that AMEX has FR'd users.
They don't mind if you do it once or twice, but if you continually do so... You might be hearing from them.
I have already been through FR myself. Came out clean. Really nothing much to worry about.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Link to apply is dead right now. Hope it comes back.

That would be very unfortunate for the people I recommended it to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.