Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gaf2255
Thanks for the info, I'll keep searching. I'd much rather take the time, then be blind sided with a cash advance fee. That would pretty much defeat the whole purpose.
Someone has suggested to call your CC company to lower your cash advance limit to a low level like $1.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Which begs the question, what is the best liquidation strategy for someone MS'ing $5-10K .
Mix in some walmart bill pay...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Member

Better alternative?
Don't do it with Chase credit cards, but an alternative is to simply mail the money orders as payments on your credit card. Chase credit card divisions does not like this at all, but I have paid a lot of Amex and BOA and US Bank credit card bills with money orders without hearing a peep (although check free bill pay is better for BOA and US Bank visas). There is certainly a business reason for mailing money orders to your credit card company - you have a damn liability that needs to be satisfied before interest starts accruing! Most credit card companies state in their literature that they prefer that one payment be enclosed in each envelope, so there is a reason to send one money order in each envelope. And the reason that the money orders tend to be around $1,000 each is the fact that $1,000 is the maximum that Wal-Mart sells them for. Also, if you read the frightening Structuring cases, you will find plenty of examples of the government seizing bank accounts during an investigation - I am not exactly sure how the government would seize a credit card account, unless it has a debit balance.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Andy2
Don't do it with Chase credit cards, but an alternative is to simply mail the money orders as payments on your credit card. Chase credit card divisions does not like this at all, ...
Have you had incidents of lost MO in your practice?..
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave4086
One could argue that you are structuring your transactions to avoid scrutiny.
Originally Posted by davef139
One doesn't need to argue it, that is exactly what they're doing. lol
Actually, "structuring" wasn't my intent. My intent is to avoid having my account closed at my favorite bank if they become uncomfortable with the amount of MO deposits. I'm following the advice of depositing MOs in secondary banks. My example of depositing $2k per day for 3 days in a row was also extreme. In reality it will be more spread out as I also do BB, BP, and paying Citi with debit card. So I don't think I should be worried.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by pier11
Have you had incidents of lost MO in your practice?..
No lost ones yet. The big credit card companies have really good processing centers. Amex posts fast, Capital One took forever, and BOA and US Bank are between these two extremes.

I buy two money orders at WalMart at a time using four $500 swipes with a $.70 charge for each money order, since that is the maximum that can be purchased using four swipes per transaction using our favorite cards. One think that simplifies tracking us to vary the amounts. Instead of always buying $999.30 amounts, if a person buys $999.40 / $999.20, etc., tracking becomes a lot easier.

Interesting fact with Chase credit card division is that they did not like multiple payments of approximately $1,000 each. The guy asked me why I did not just buy one money order for $5,000 instead of five money orders of around $1,000 each when paying my hypothetical $5,000 bill. He was surprised to find out that most money orders sellers place a maximum on the amount of each money order and he was surprised to find out that money orders can be purchased with debit/gift cards. This is one of the problems, we know this system but the banks & credit card companies do not. He thought I had a massive pile of cash that I was breaking up into parts to avoid reporting because that is what is taught in class. There are no MS examples in their training materials and there probably never will be. Fortunately, I did not lose any Chase credit card accounts but had to agree to not send them any more money orders.

Of course, with the cost of stamps, paying the credit card bills with money orders only works economically with a 5 percent card.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Andy2
Of course, with the cost of stamps, paying the credit card bills with money orders only works economically with a 5 percent card.
And you send one ~1k MO per envelope with pay slip, correct?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:28 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by pier11
And you send one ~1k MO per envelope with pay slip, correct?
Yes, money orders stick together quite badly and I think more than one per envelope would cause all but the first one to get thrown away from time to time, even if a piece of paper separated them. The processing center employees would rarely get more than one check per envelope, so they are not accustomed to looking for more than one payment per envelope.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by RJ5929
In DFW, tried four walmarts, two of them cash only or debit card with a name (they insisted on seeing the cards eventhough I said they are debit cards). Other two worked.

Kroger is done. Tried three and all three no go.
That's weird, the Krogers I've been to here in the ATL don't care if you use debits and don't check the cards. Telling them to do $500 for each GC is fine. $0.69 fee for $1000 max MO.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GTFan
That's weird, the Krogers I've been to here in the ATL don't care if you use debits and don't check the cards. Telling them to do $500 for each GC is fine. $0.69 fee for $1000 max MO.
As with everything, YMMV. I have 4 Krogers in about 10 mile radius. One I usually don't have any issues buying MO with VGC. Another one, it depends on who's working the booth. The last two ask to see the cards used and will refuse debit unless your name is on the card.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Arrival Points, M-Life, Hyatt, ULTIMATE REWARDS, AA, UAL, SOUTHWEST
Strategy and MO locations

Which begs the question, what is the best liquidation strategy for someone MS'ing $5-10K MO/month?

I can deposit them to the same account, but every thread talks about shutdown.

Now it seems depositing them into different accounts looks suspicious in a different way. I can only conclude there is another way - maybe a middle ground - given the established viability of this activity. But I am not quite getting it yet.
$5-10K MOs/month can be a huge issue with Chase at first. We hit several walls when we first started MSing. Called Chase and they suggested we teller deposit our MOs and that is what we do if we intend to deposit over $10k per month.

Will be opening other bank accounts going forward as other MSers have 5 to 7 bank accounts - just to keep accounts safe.

Wally is our only go to for MOs. Have to visit several per month.

A simple GC cash-out is using BB online with a $100/day limit - allows around $3000/month per account.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:23 pm

I've read in this thread that VGCs can't be used at USPS for MOs, but can One Vanillas be used there? I would think not.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by crimsonred
I've read in this thread that VGCs can't be used at USPS for MOs, but can One Vanillas be used there? I would think not.
OV's don't work
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by CRUISINGFLYING4LIFE
A simple GC cash-out is using BB online with a $100/day limit - allows around $3000/month per account.
Can you explain this? The online debit card load limit is $1k/month. How do you get to $3k?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Any luck with buying MOs with OVs at Rite Aid in Manhattan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.