Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 15, 16, 1:52 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Alcibiades
Wiki Link
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 11, 13, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold

I used to have an easy time buying money orders with prepaid gift cards (Vanilla Visa) at places likes Randall's and Walmart. More and more often I am asked whether it's a gift card and the success ratio has been declining lately.

How do you all go about liquidating your prepaid debit cards?
Old Dec 11, 13, 2:53 pm

At WM at least, just say "It's a debit card".

Not removing the stickers is a tactic... it usually/often covers any mention of "Gift Card".
Old Dec 11, 13, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI View Post
At WM at least, just say "It's a debit card".

Not removing the stickers is a tactic... it usually/often covers any mention of "Gift Card".
A friend tried that and then the clerk asked to see the card. He handed her a normal debit card. The clerk then proceeded to swipe the card herself on her terminal. Of course, asking to buy a MO for $999.32 may give it away.

Interesting idea about the sticker. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 11, 13, 5:05 pm

Most WMT CSRs don't care if it's a "gift card"..if they question you, just say you have a PIN and you're using Debit....if it goes thru, they don't really care. Most don't even see the card.
Old Dec 11, 13, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12 View Post
Most WMT CSRs don't care if it's a "gift card"..if they question you, just say you have a PIN and you're using Debit....if it goes thru, they don't really care. Most don't even see the card.
Be careful about that thought because the trend starts to change now.
Old Dec 11, 13, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare View Post
Be careful about that thought because the trend starts to change now.

Hmm..it worked fine with no Qs asked as of yesterday. Will report if I see any change in my area. (So. Cal)
Old Dec 11, 13, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsmith12 View Post
Hmm..it worked fine with no Qs asked as of yesterday. Will report if I see any change in my area. (So. Cal)
I was out your way last week and stopped by over 1/2 dz Wallys and no problems or questions asked. Back in NJ its anything but that.And many others have reported problems where they live as well. So dont assume what may work or not work in your area is the same everywhere else

I also got hit with please place the DC in my hand and I will swipe it on my computer , so I handed her my 1 closed MVD which of cause was Denied and left. There are some GCs that dont have 'gift' written all over it and when I handed that to them they simply swiped it w/o any questions. The last thing Id want is to give them my banks DC and end up getting the MOs.

Last edited by craz; Dec 11, 13 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 11, 13, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
The last thing Id want is to give them my banks DC and end up getting the MOs
one way to build up trust
Old Dec 11, 13, 6:08 pm

Yeah, there are some WM cashiers who believe that they are the last line of defense to protect national security.
Old Dec 11, 13, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains View Post
Yeah, there are some WM cashiers who believe that they are the last line of defense to protect national security.
I really don't think so. I really think that those guys do this just to protect their own a$$. There might be some exceptions though.
Old Dec 11, 13, 6:59 pm

Staring at the PIN pad and just ignoring their question usually works for me. I also make a practice of hiding the card behind an open wallet so they can't see it.

If an employee demanded to swipe my card him/her self, I would refuse or demand to see a supervisor. Self swipes are a key fraud prevention tool, to combat skimming, etc. Besides, are they also going to demand to enter my PIN for me?
Old Dec 11, 13, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare View Post
I really don't think so. I really think that those guys do this just to protect their own a$$. There might be some exceptions though.
This. You'd be surprised at the things cashiers can be fired for. I don't mind getting turned down. I usually just play dumb and don't cause a fuss. I would hate for someone to lose their job over me trying to MS.
Old Dec 11, 13, 8:47 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
I make small talk with the cashiers. Usually works well enough.

However, the last time I visited, a new clerk started freaking out because I wanted to do more than $3k in paper.

She got on the phone with a manager and asked me exactly what kind of card I was using. I didn't say anything, just handed her the next card in line, a VGC, which she described to her boss.

When she got off the phone she apologized for the delay.
Bernadette Stern likes this.
Old Dec 11, 13, 8:57 pm

One out of my three WMs have been very well trained not to accept GCs (bc of me). The last successful transaction I had there, a second cashier slipped a note to the cashier helping me saying "this is the guy we have been talking about." They treat me like a criminal everytime I go in there.

This WM is one with no Money Center, just a customer service desk. The other two have MCs and are much friendlier.
Old Dec 11, 13, 9:06 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
I'd be very surprised if the manager of that store with the "note" doesn't appreciate your business.

Talk to the manager if you have further issues using your debit card(s) there.

People return used underwear and get refunds with a smile at that desk. Surely we can't be worse.
Bernadette Stern likes this.

Last edited by cuebert; Dec 11, 13 at 9:12 pm

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: