Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who benefits from MS? Who loses?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:44 am

No one loses

$1 billion in gift cards went unredeemed last year. When you as a consumer either choose not to, or forget to, redeem a gift card everyone on the other side of the equation wins. Obviously, that problem isn't persistent in the FT community. And it's probably less of an issue with the bank issued cards, but I bet there's still some money being left on the table by less knowledgable people losing cards, throwing away cards with a balance, or forgetting to unload them.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/1-b...med-2013-11-27
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by ragnarkar
When you use MS to get points to get a free (or almost) free seat on an airplane, there's now 1 less seat on that plane. Now let's assume you wouldn't have made this trip if you didn't have the points you gained from MS. So Demand for seats is still the same but the Supply has shrunk.. -> ticket prices will go up.

Thing with airlines is that unlike other widgets, there's no way to increase the supply of airplane seats in a short period of time (the supply is relatively inelastic.) So prices will rise as airlines, like most businesses, are fundamentally greedy and will charge as high of a price as possible as long as it maximizes profits.

Say there are X seats available on a particular route among all participating airlines, and demand is X at the current prices. Now suppose due to MS, the supply of seats is now only 0.9X but demand is still X. The airline will raise prices until demand is now also 0.9X.

Conclusion: the losers in MS are the people who regularly pay for their seats and rarely/never use points.
If U were a program director, U will lose the job in a hurry....The points award seats availability is elastic depends on the traffic, there is buffer capacity (15%) for the future traffic growth. they always have few non-revenue seats which is valued at $'0' in their math, and its availability is at their discretion and not when U want to fly!

Last edited by prasha11; Dec 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmar...r-the-economy/

I am not quite sure I understand why the author feels MS is bad for the economy, he offers little evidence of such, nor do I believe he reaches a conclusion that is consistent with the sensationalist title. But a little concerning that the article is in such a mainstream publication.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2

I am not quite sure I understand why the author feels MS is bad for the economy, he offers little evidence of such, nor do I believe he reaches a conclusion that is consistent with the sensationalist title. But a little concerning that the article is in such a mainstream publication.
U know the author is paid to write.
Reporters and Politicians are paid to hide the facts and spin the stories. The big money is in how well they can do it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: ALL :)

He looks like someone I have seen at a FTU event. Hmmmm..............
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:54 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:13 pm
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:43 pm

I frequent a local Walgreens a lot, but do my ms at cvs because they accept cc payment for gcs.
Today I noticed a sign in Walgreens by the gcs stating "no checks, cash,credit or debit only". I asked the manager if this was correct(we are on a first name basis-again, I go there A LOT). He confirmed that it was correct, that they have been accepting cc as payment for a while.
I then asked if they lose money, due to the cc processing fees. He stated that they pay no cc processing fees on the sale of giftcards, and said that the $4.95, $5.95,etc purchase fees was all profit to the store.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Unsurprised

This is a typical example of someone who doesn't understand economics writing a sensationalist article for a reader base that also does not understand economics.

It gets a lot of clicks.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:15 am

I thought the article was quite reasonable. The conclusion was that there was a relatively small negative effect on the economy from manufactured spend because the number of consumers who engage in it was relatively small. I agree that if 20% of all Americans engaged in it, we would have some serious problems and the system would be unsustainable. At the very least, manufactured spenders are marginally inflating the GDP, but it doesn't constitute "useful" economic activity.

I'm in the retail industry, and my guess is that CVS pays about 1.5%-2% in fees per credit card transaction. This is the "interchange rate" charged by Visa/MC and it is typically not negotiable unless you have Wal-Mart type scale. And even then, it might be a tough slog to negotiate the interchange rate. This is why warehouse clubs like Sam's Club and Cosco don't take Visa/MC and have negotiated lower interchange fees and exclusive deals with the smaller players like Amex and Discover.

The big question is whether the CVS POS submits additional transaction level metadata to the credit card processors about your gift card purchases. Some processing software can submit this so-called "level 3" data, which shows line-level detail like SKU, quantity, item description, unit of measure, and discounts. If that's the case, then Visa/MC should certainly know you are purchasing gift cards, and would already have the data needed to charge you cash advances or exclude rewards on certain portions of your purchase. However, I'm not aware of consumer/retail POS software that does level 3 transaction processing. In my research level 3 processing data was specifically designed specifically for processing Purchasing, GSA, Commercial, Corporate, and other Business cards, and I've not seen any reference to using it in consumer retail POS applications.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:50 pm

If you just look at Manufactured Spend in a vacuum, then the credit card companies are probably losing since, theoretically, a person would only MS in profitable situations.

However, in the big picture, the money lost by cc companies to MS is vastly outweighed by those who carry a balance and pay interest on their "awards" cc. To these banks, losing money to MS falls under the price of doing business and it is a very small price (relatively).
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfarley137
The big question is whether the CVS POS submits additional transaction level metadata to the credit card processors about your gift card purchases. Some processing software can submit this so-called "level 3" data, which shows line-level detail like SKU, quantity, item description, unit of measure, and discounts. If that's the case, then Visa/MC should certainly know you are purchasing gift cards, and would already have the data needed to charge you cash advances or exclude rewards on certain portions of your purchase. However, I'm not aware of consumer/retail POS software that does level 3 transaction processing. In my research level 3 processing data was specifically designed specifically for processing Purchasing, GSA, Commercial, Corporate, and other Business cards, and I've not seen any reference to using it in consumer retail POS applications.
According to the Visa supplier locator, only a few stores supply level 3 data. I found a couple of Rite Aid's that provide "Level III Summary". As far as I can tell, CVS does not.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:01 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:10 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MsArbi
WM had 466B revenue in 2013 and is #1 on Fortune 500. CVS had 123B and is #13. But if you look at #2-12 CVS is actually the #2 largest "retailer" behind WM. That's WM type scale. WM and CVS even seem to use the same POS system. If VS/MC negotiates on the interchange rate, I would bet that CVS has a deal - maybe not as good as WM but better than all other retailers. I would even bet they are paying under 1.5% fees per transaction.
I would imagine that a good chunk of CVS's "revenue" is payments from insurance companies for prescriptions, which is obviously not paid via credit card. Subtract this and their revenue is much smaller. Even if they are still one of the largest retailers, I have never heard of negotiating on interchange fees. Remember that interchange is paid to the acquiring bank, not to Visa/MC. The acquiring banks might negotiate with merchants on the discount rate (which includes the interchange fee). Materials from Visa and MC suggest that acquirers can negotiate interchange fees with issuers, but given that there are several card issuers in the US, negotiating with each one is likely not practical for an acquirer, and I don't see any reason why an issuer would be willing to negotiate a lower interchange fee given that they are entitled to Visa/MC's default interchange fee in the absence of a separate negotiation.

That is my understanding, but I am not privy to any insider information, and if Visa/MC were cutting special deals to certain stores, I'd imagine they wouldn't want to publicize it.

Last edited by cbn42; Jan 4, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by KashG
This is a typical example of someone who doesn't understand economics writing a sensationalist article for a reader base that also does not understand economics.

It gets a lot of clicks.
no one smart reads Forbes nor WSJ. It is usually Bloomberg Businessweek or NYT DealBook,
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by cfarley137
manufactured spenders are marginally inflating the GDP, but it doesn't constitute "useful" economic activity.
GDP is a dumb measure. 'create a problem, present the solution" increases the GDP. look at the healthcare and bigPharm industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.