Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by DeaconY
What on earth is wrong with you people? The CC company would ask why you just didn't hit cancel and then go 'buy' your gas somewhere else where they will obviously give it to you for free. This is a known issue with mid Atlantic Giants and Shell. Even on their website Q&A. Don't like it; vote with your wallet.
It was designed to be a simple question that anyone could understand. A 'no' would have sufficed.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by User Name
It was designed to be a simple question that anyone could understand. A 'no' would have sufficed.
Because it deserved much more than a simple no. The 'rip off' portion of your question showed ignorance of the program so I referred you back to the program terms and faq. Also the idea you would dispute a valid credit card charge that you yourself authorized after viewing the actual price per gallon would be fraud. No different than stealing at that point.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:24 am

Wife went to couple of Shell in Central New Jersey and both said they are not taking Stop and Shop card. She did not ask why. But I wonder why they are saying no. Is system not working or something else going on? I need to go and check tonight.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

#1 the issue of points not being at gas station discussed previously

#2 recently discovered that shell charges a minimum of 10 cents per gallon, it cannot be less than 10 cents per gallon, so technically preferable to have 2100 gas points rather than 2200+ if after redemption the price per gallon would be less than 10 cents, because it seems to subtract the full amount of points, making you lose up to 100 points, if you expected the gas to cost $0 or negative amount
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
#1 the issue of points not being at gas station discussed previously

#2 recently discovered that shell charges a minimum of 10 cents per gallon, it cannot be less than 10 cents per gallon, so technically preferable to have 2100 gas points rather than 2200+ if after redemption the price per gallon would be less than 10 cents, because it seems to subtract the full amount of points, making you lose up to 100 points, if you expected the gas to cost $0 or negative amount
#2 Varies by location. I have paid $0.019/gallon and $0.029/gallon in recent weeks.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very interesting, so stations can vary it, wonder if any $0

i remember some shell stations stopped pump at $75
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:49 pm

I went to fill up the other day while regular gas was $2.15/gal. After entering my phone number, regular stayed at the full $2.15 while mid and premium both reduced by $2.20/gal. I had to get mid grade for $0.45/gal in order to get any discount. Anyone seen that before?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by minamhere
I went to fill up the other day while regular gas was $2.15/gal. After entering my phone number, regular stayed at the full $2.15 while mid and premium both reduced by $2.20/gal. I had to get mid grade for $0.45/gal in order to get any discount. Anyone seen that before?
That is what happens when gas is cheaper than $2.20. Will deduct the highest increment it can when available.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by tanri
Did you have success? Please let us know what you tried and how it worked out!
The Circle K Shells in Florida only allow Winn Dixie (grocery chain in FL) and RN codes. I'm in the SW FL area. Would love to hear if anyone has tried it anywhere else.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:16 pm

Today at my regular shell station in NOVA the pump asked me to see cashier. Gas was $1.89. Attendant turned on pump and I got the usual 35 gallons and went back inside to enter my phone number (usually I can do it at the pump even when gas is under 2.20 and pay the usual .10 a gallon). Well today was a little different. I owed $0 and I was only deducted 1890 points! Attendant said when gas is under $2.20 I have to come inside, which has never been the case. Possibly a system upgrade as I've never received gas for $0 and less than 2200 points unless I fill up at the giant gas station
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by daprophecy
The Circle K Shells in Florida only allow Winn Dixie (grocery chain in FL) and RN codes. I'm in the SW FL area. Would love to hear if anyone has tried it anywhere else.
Oh. I have a Winn Dixie card, and I've bought PayPower cards there in Collier and Lee -- do they ever run gas points promos on them? I assume you've tried stand alone Shells, as well as Circle K, right?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:34 am

Does anyone know what cards are next week?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by mser95
Does anyone know what cards are next week?
5 X Sears!

Yah.......
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Car Jack
5 X Sears!

Yah.......
How did you MS sears GC?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by heydude
How did you MS sears GC?
buy gamestop gc....at gamestop buy ebay or amazon.....then buy whatever I want. Not really MS. Just no-fee way to get gas at zero cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.