FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

Peridot83 Oct 1, 2014 3:59 pm

I don't think it's all that different than AGC. Certain times of year, Gift Card issuers must give pretty substantial commission. The rest of the time, there is little incentive to run the promos. But 4th quarter is upon us. I was a retail exec for many years, and I can tell you no business wants to miss it's 4th quarter targets. And the people in charge of sales have very little to do with the folks who figure out profitability. In most companies the sales managers are primarily concerned with hitting gross sales targets. They are happy to let someone in the back office worry about the margins.

dublin487 Oct 1, 2014 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Peridot83 (Post 23611840)
And the people in charge of sales have very little to do with the folks who figure out profitability. In most companies the sales managers are primarily concerned with hitting gross sales targets. They are happy to let someone in the back office worry about the margins.

Don't mean to get OT, but as a non-sales finance professional, this is a major pet peeve of mine - making a $100 sale is all well and good unless you spent $150 to make it happen...!

Peridot83 Oct 2, 2014 1:42 pm

All my choice rewards peeps, there is another one of those 2x gas coupons in next weeks ad. If you go to your post office, they will give you extras. It does say with a $50 or more purchase. Since I believe the purple cards are ringing up as regular merchandise, I think the coupon would go through without other items, but I definitely wouldn't do that. Either bring them through the regular register with some groceries, or take a few high dollar items with you up to CS desk and ask them to ring all together. I wouldn't want to draw attention to the fact that you are getting points, and if you have other groceries it will look you were just trying to get extra points on on those.

fafa123 Oct 2, 2014 2:15 pm

My Choice rewards

What store gives these rewards?

jmfflyer Oct 2, 2014 2:45 pm

Giant VL Stock

I have noticed that most of the giant stores in my area have low stock or are out of the $500 vgc. I hope they aren't phasing them out.

mrmandel Oct 2, 2014 3:03 pm

Some ahole cleaned out an entire new shipment of RLs in the last day or two at my local S&S. Hopefully not one of us here. The Manager was shocked. There's been a healthy stock for months. I doubt they were purchased, just flat stolen or hidden.

Peridot83 Oct 2, 2014 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by fafa123 (Post 23616972)
What store gives these rewards?

Its the group of stores in the philly burbs. Maybe the coupon extends beyond those stores, but our program allows you to redeem points for either 5% of groceries or gas. Also points don't expire until the end of the next month instead of a set promo period. Of the top of my head it includes:
Roslyn
Horsham
WIllow Grove
Jamison
Feasterville
Grant Ave
Flourtown
Warrington
South hampton

payeco Oct 2, 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by jmfflyer (Post 23617145)
I have noticed that most of the giant stores in my area have low stock or are out of the $500 vgc. I hope they aren't phasing them out.

My favorite store hasn't been restocked since the beginning of September with variables. Luckily inside the rack they have a big bin with about 100 of the variables that came in a gift box from last Christmas. I've been grabbing them when I don't have time to or don't feel like going to another store further away.

TPP Oct 2, 2014 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Peridot83 (Post 23616763)
All my choice rewards peeps, there is another one of those 2x gas coupons in next weeks ad. If you go to your post office, they will give you extras. It does say with a $50 or more purchase. Since I believe the purple cards are ringing up as regular merchandise, I think the coupon would go through without other items, but I definitely wouldn't do that. Either bring them through the regular register with some groceries, or take a few high dollar items with you up to CS desk and ask them to ring all together. I wouldn't want to draw attention to the fact that you are getting points, and if you have other groceries it will look you were just trying to get extra points on on those.

Terms on 2X coupon state "one coupon per household". Will their systems allow the multiple uses if you have more than one? I managed to get a few from neighbors but I don't frequent this chain enough to know how their systems work.

ronnyk Oct 3, 2014 7:54 am

Interesting datapoint for Philly-area Giants. I have had no problem getting the 1x on the Barney-colored MGCs in my local stores (as recently as yesterday). I was in the Plymouth Meeting area this morning and popped into the Giant there and bought 3x$500. I only received 400 points, and the receipt stated something to the effect that the current Turkey Giveaway promotion is in effect, 400 points = Free Turkey, and that for each order points above 400 cannot be earned.

There was no mention of gas points at all on the receipt, but my total point count was accurate (reflected prior balance from yesterday + 400). The points seem to be pulled from a shared data source, but it seems like because this location does not give gas points. Or could this be a promotion that just kicked in today? I'll have to check my local Giant at lunch time and buy a few more. . . .

michael160 Oct 3, 2014 9:10 am

Originally Posted by ronnyk (Post 23620355)
Interesting datapoint for Philly-area Giants. I have had no problem getting the 1x on the Barney-colored MGCs in my local stores (as recently as yesterday). I was in the Plymouth Meeting area this morning and popped into the Giant there and bought 3x$500. I only received 400 points, and the receipt stated something to the effect that the current Turkey Giveaway promotion is in effect, 400 points = Free Turkey, and that for each order points above 400 cannot be earned.

There was no mention of gas points at all on the receipt, but my total point count was accurate (reflected prior balance from yesterday + 400). The points seem to be pulled from a shared data source, but it seems like because this location does not give gas points. Or could this be a promotion that just kicked in today? I'll have to check my local Giant at lunch time and buy a few more. . . .

Purple presents at 2 different Giant PA stores today gave the correct # of points.

dboston1 Oct 4, 2014 5:51 am

Originally Posted by jmfflyer (Post 23617145)

Same in my area. I got the last two at an always friendly store. A new store has none, and a store further away has a lot but has always refused to sell them with CC.

fletchbo Oct 4, 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by mrmandel (Post 23617222)
Some ahole cleaned out an entire new shipment of RLs in the last day or two at my local S&S. Hopefully not one of us here. The Manager was shocked. There's been a healthy stock for months. I doubt they were purchased, just flat stolen or hidden.

LMAO! You guys crack me up! Sippin' some sangria and listening to some Satriani on guitar while reading this blogs makes for fun ... This is a crazy game; just keep checking back, you never know when some greedy bastage will strip out the card supplies, or when Giant / S and S will re-stock!

My local Giant was stripped of the purple bow with gold present cards two days ago, then got re-supplied today ... all earning me 1pt / $ again ... how long will it last?

My theory is, the next 4x / 5x promo for Visa / MC GCs will re-set the system and stop awarding the points for the Mastercards as they post now... we will see. Happy spending and points stacking!

TPP Oct 5, 2014 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Peridot83 (Post 23616763)

Confirmed this works as described above. Bought $100 groceries and 3 purple presents - got 3200 points.

yoyo Oct 5, 2014 2:10 pm

this is PA only I suppose?