FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

riphamilton Oct 21, 2015 7:51 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 25595160)
I've resisted the gas can route, but now I've got 3 cars and (often) only 2 drivers, so it would make sense. I recall folks complaining all the time about the "new" gas cans, though. Can anyone recommend an affordable model that works well?

vp racing makes 5gal cans with long nozzles. they're intended for motocross, but work perfectly for all around use. ~$30 on ebay/amazon.

Car Jack Oct 21, 2015 7:54 am

I've resisted the gas can route, but now I've got 3 cars and (often) only 2 drivers, so it would make sense. I recall folks complaining all the time about the "new" gas cans, though. Can anyone recommend an affordable model that works well?

Target sells a nice 5 gallon (look in camping.....may have only one can or may have none). I bought 2 back when they still accepted cc as a "thank you". About $16 and they're nice. I have 2 six gallon cans from KMart that I believe were about $12 each. My Jeep takes nearly 20 gallons and I'll fill the rest of the cans to get 35 gallons. My snowmobile gas tank (12 gallons) serves as storage between runs.

Our family uses about 35 gallons a week, so it works out well for me, when I can take advantage of an offer once a week.

neony77 Oct 21, 2015 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ramamosn (Post 25589893)
No. I bought $1K Visa GC yesterday. The Points are not adding up to my bonus card.

I bought one $500 VGC to test after bringing the balance down below $2.20 (only had $0.52 in rewards before purchase) but got zero gas points (not even $0.20). Not sure whats going on but I am definitely not getting any gas points on my VGC purchase after the first 2 that I got during this promotion. This is in VA if that makes any difference.

Anyone other than ramomosn having similar issues?

PedroNY Oct 21, 2015 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 25593454)
I have 5 5-gal containers. I fill those up and my 21 gal minivan. I find it easier to fill up our other car at home than getting wife involved.. I have the 5 containers so that I can get all 35 gallons when my points are expiring. The icing on the cake is getting all the Hilton points for no cost.

^^^ on Hilton points, and Diamond status via spend to boot. :)

So I guess, I just don't drive enough, as I always have these points expire, even though I fill up both of my cars (12 gallons and 20 gallons) during these promotions. I even lend out the S&S card to my friends to get them some free gas. Our commutes are under 5 miles each way, so there is only so much I can use.

In NJ, they will fill up gas cans for you after you fill up your tank? I know in PA and other places you can pump yourself, but I was wondering how NJ stations handle this one. Appreciate any feedback.

What is a "shelf life" of gasoline? Can you fill up some cans and keep them in your garage? I assume there is some fire safety concerns as well.

Cheers,

PedroNY

Chelski Oct 21, 2015 8:58 am

Originally Posted by PedroNY (Post 25595609)
^^^ on Hilton points, and Diamond status via spend to boot. :)

So I guess, I just don't drive enough, as I always have these points expire, even though I fill up both of my cars (12 gallons and 20 gallons) during these promotions. I even lend out the S&S card to my friends to get them some free gas. Our commutes are under 5 miles each way, so there is only so much I can use.

In NJ, they will fill up gas cans for you after you fill up your tank? I know in PA and other places you can pump yourself, but I was wondering how NJ stations handle this one. Appreciate any feedback.

What is a "shelf life" of gasoline? Can you fill up some cans and keep them in your garage? I assume there is some fire safety concerns as well.

Cheers,

PedroNY

I believe it's about 2-3 months. With ethanol you don't want it to sit around too long. I don't want to store more than I would use in a short period of time. The newer cans tend to lock the odors/fumes in the can. I just got cans at Walmart in the auto section, but the nozzle isn't as long as I'd like. It gets the job done so I'm going to check out the racing ones on eBay.

Edit: I figure spend $3-4k/month and end up with diamond status and get discounted (or free) gas all year. Slow and steady. Along with a bunch of points.

mittenfingerz Oct 21, 2015 2:04 pm

I just get the cheapest 5 gal I can find and a nice tapered funnel. Goes way faster than using those stupid nozzles.

thebat Oct 21, 2015 3:05 pm

good one

These are really good. It's the only can I've used that doesn't spill at all. I also like the all metal construction. A little pricey, but they are worth it.

heyeaglefn Oct 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by thebat (Post 25597511)
These are really good. It's the only can I've used that doesn't spill at all. I also like the all metal construction. A little pricey, but they are worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-FS...gallon+gas+can

Is your car newer than 2007? Some of the negative reviews seem to say newer cars are hard to fill with this one.

thebat Oct 21, 2015 5:47 pm

YMMV (ho ho)

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn (Post 25597607)
Is your car newer than 2007? Some of the negative reviews seem to say newer cars are hard to fill with this one.

I have a 2014 and a 2005. I use a long funnel that goes into both of them well. Then I pour from the Eagle can into the funnel. With the Eagle I don't spill a drop. Also, transporting the full Eagle can in the back of my SUV is very convenient, they never spill. I can't say that about any other gas can I have used. I have been doing this game with Stop and Shop for the last few years. I always get 35 gallons a fill up.
It really is a PIA, but saving $2.20 a gallon makes it worth it.:)

CatJo Oct 22, 2015 7:43 am

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn (Post 25597607)

I have several of the same gas cans, definitely recommended - high quality and easy to use. Both my cars are only a couple of years old, no problem filling them.

PenneyPincher Oct 22, 2015 9:09 am

Originally Posted by CatJo (Post 25600307)
I have several of the same gas cans, definitely recommended - high quality and easy to use. Both my cars are only a couple of years old, no problem filling them.

Some of those newer cars have a tiny adapter funnel that's located somewhere behind a folding rear seat or inside the trunk compartment trim... my MIL's car has one of these. My husband and BIL were having a devil of a time trying to put gas in my MIL's car. There's a pic on the fuel door showing the funnel and the owner's manual tells you where it's hidden in the car. I walked over, saw the pic, got the manual and located the funnel... problem solved :)

I think KMart had the best price on gas cans, and I only found that out after I spent more than I would have liked to spend on them at Walmart... I routinely fill several cans and don't smell gas at all in my van, so those walmart cans must be working just fine. I always remove the cap and spout and pour into a funnel. The funnel doesn't go back in the van until it's air dried (all gas evaporated)

tuphat Oct 22, 2015 10:48 am

The thick plastic 1 gal jugs that Arizona Ice Tea comes in work fine for me.

Car Jack Oct 22, 2015 11:49 am

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 25601185)
The thick plastic 1 gal jugs that Arizona Ice Tea comes in work fine for me.

That sure wouldn't work for me. Filled the Jeep that was half full last night, so only 10 gallons. 25 more gallons in cans...... That would have been.....uh.....interesting if I was using a bunch of 1 gallon jugs of questionable plastic composition (some plastics will melt when exposed to gas).

gw14 Oct 22, 2015 12:08 pm

I just use as many of the 5 gal gas cans I have around for my generator to get the 35 gals per fillup. I typically don't fill the generator gas cans till there is a storm heading our way, so they are usually empty.

I also use a battery operated pump to put the gas in the vehicles, don't have to hold a 5 gal can trying to pour gas into a funnel.

This is the one I found the best:

Chelski Oct 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by gw14 (Post 25601573)
I also use a battery operated pump to put the gas in the vehicles, don't have to hold a 5 gal can trying to pour gas into a funnel.

This is the one I found the best:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

How long does it take to empty a 5 gal can? I looked at some reviews but didn't see.

Originally Posted by neony77 (Post 25595425)
I bought one $500 VGC to test after bringing the balance down below $2.20 (only had $0.52 in rewards before purchase) but got zero gas points (not even $0.20). Not sure whats going on but I am definitely not getting any gas points on my VGC purchase after the first 2 that I got during this promotion. This is in VA if that makes any difference.

Anyone other than ramomosn having similar issues?

Bought $3k in NOVA and 6k points showed up instantly. 9000 total points.