Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Hey, I wouldn't bite the hand that feeds either .
It simply tells you who they really want to help = Themselves like we didnt know this already. The day the CC issuers stop paying for referrals most of these bloggers will be cease to blog
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by craz
It simply tells you who they really want to help = Themselves like we didnt know this already. The day the CC issuers stop paying for referrals most of these bloggers will be cease to blog
Yup. It's just a pity that they expose all of the "tricks" right in their blogs where they have referral links for issuers of the same cards that those tricks are taken advantage of... easy way for issuers to see them all.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Darn it. getting no love in the Bay Area.... arggg
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Checked 3 stores in Bay Area. Two of them had no stock and the one which had said cash only. Guess not as lucky as SoCal folks
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Nice data points, but you guys are missing the point. The game is now if you can get 5x on any Vanilla related $500 domination GCs/VRs or not @OD.
speak for yourself!

there are a LOT of us who have made purchases last weekend and week. there has been speculation that the cards were coded differently before they went on sale and would be 1x.

ergo, there are definitely people reading this thread who want data points closed statements getting 5x @ OD for visa gift cards. just because YOU couldn't buy thru sunday doesn't mean it becomes irrelevant information to all....
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
Couldn't buy $200 fixed-value Visa GCs Saturday at San Leandro, CA with CC. Agent cited cash-only policy. Another OD was out of stock on $200s, but no problem finding $200s and using CC at Office Max.

No $500s in sight at OD.
I know that store. that store has been cash only for every cash equiv. since the start of the year. even before OD pulled the 20-500 cards in Feb. the manager there has been saying 'company policy' all year. it's not in a good area, so they must have had fraud issues in that store. same for emeryville.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
I think that's definitely the case I also think they were told to remove their reconsideration line phone numbers as curiously all bloggers have removed them for only JPM.
i'm not one for conspiracy theories, but i tend to agree with both points. the fact that every blogger is avoiding the OD news today for rather lame topics seems more than odd, given that this is definitely the focal point of the manu spend community today.

much like the way they kept blogging and re-blogging endlessly the week of the 60k ink sign up- you'd almost think they had a little extra commission that week. i mean, it was a bump up, but it's not like it was 100,000 points that week- it was from 50k to 60k. not enough to fuel such blogger hysteria unless....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JrxLL3u2s
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:43 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Just returned from lunch here in California and I am 2x $500 Visa Gift Cards heavier... Thank you OD :-)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Our OD was hit hard, only two variable loads left after being stocked today.. this is not going to last
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
For MSP folks, Eden Prairie store said cash only on variable loads (VRs were declined before even promoting for payment method) and Roseville didn't have any over 200
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:24 pm

Got a Vanilla Visa from OD near SEA today. Needed a manager's override, but otherwise, no issues.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:29 pm

Got 3k OV variable GC needed manager override but was good to go
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:43 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Forgot to mention that I also needed manager override... I think the best part of the trip was that the cashier remembered me from previous VR ventures and knew to just ring them up for the $500 each. It was like seeing an old friend.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:13 pm

Went to a few atl locations today. No $500 yet.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Anyone find some in Bay Area today that are not cash only? Checked Sunnyvale, MV and San Jose and no go at all 3. None at 2 locations, San Jose had them but it was cash only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.