Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for posts through 2016. The new thread for 2017 is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826119-billpay-walmart-2017-a.html

Bill Pay cannot be done at a regular register.
It must be done at Customer Service/Returns.
Or at the Money Center in stores that have it.

BUSINESS DAY transaction completion time is 18:59:59 EST
Friday after 06:59PM EST, until Monday BEFORE 07:00PM EST arrives Tuesday
Tuesday BEFORE 7:00PM arrives Wednesday
Wednesday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Thursday
Thursday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Friday
Friday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Monday
But when a next-day payment will post and be visible depends upon the CC issuer.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WM offers two BP services: CheckFreePAY and MoneyGram. The cashier can initiate CheckFreePAY by selecting Money Services followed by Bill Pay on the register for a fee of $1-1.88. Moneygram is $4.99.

Once your CFP account is set up, you can add cc. When you want to BP give them your phone# to look up your account under Money Services. They often get confused and think you want MG, but just say it is under Money Services.

ONLY 4 successful debit card swipes can pay for a transaction.

ONLY 5 payments per 16 digit account number per rolling 30 days.
--------------------------------------------
:-:VISA and MC
If your particular card isn't on the list below, try "VISA" or "MASTERCARD."

"VISA" and "MASTERCARD" payee can no longer be found by search at some stores. If the employee can no longer find "VISA" or "MASTERCARD" by searching in CheckFreePAY, then you cannot pay either, end of story.

Following do not work:
Any and all Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA.
Glimcher VISA
MASTERCARD
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Bank of America Cash Rewards Business MC
Barclay (Arrival, US Airways) MC - Posts at 11PM EST, credit available 1AM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold MC
Citi AAdvantage (Platinum Select, Executive, Business) MC - Posts at 3AM EST (+1 day)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC
CitiBusiness Platinum Select MC
Does not work:
Barclay Business US Airways MC - NOT PAYABLE - tried 2x
VISA
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Barclay Priceline VS
Chase (Amazon, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, United, Slate) VS - Posts at 10PM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold VS
Citi (AAdvantage, Dividend, ThankYou Preferred) VS
FIA Fidelity VS
PNC CashBuilder VS
US Bank (Cash+, Club Carlson, Flexperks) VS
Wells Fargo Cashback VS
Does not work:
TD Bank VS - [Source]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:-:Issuing Bank

Discover - Use for all Discover network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

American Express AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) cannot be paid through CheckFreePAY. Some AMEX cards issued by other banks can be paid.

AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) can be paid using MoneyGram for $4.99

Barclay Listed under barclay - need biller zip - $1.50 next day, $1.00 three days

Bank of America Consumer Loans - Use for BoA-issued and FIA-issued cards; will not work for BofA Small Business cards.
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days. (Will require a ZIP but apparently yours will work as well as theirs, which is 19886)[INDENT]Works:
FIA Fidelity VS & MC
BoA Alaska Airlines Visa
Does not work:
FIA Fidelity AX - No longer working for FIA Amex
BofA Asiana Business card
Capital One
$1.50 next day.
Personal and business CCs
Citibank American Express - Use for Citi-issued AMEX cards
Citi AAdvantage AMEX
PNC Bank - Use for PNC-issued Visa network cards
PNC CashBuilder VS
Warning: Some users have reported being shutdown for using bill pay services.

For money order questions, check the following threads and their wiki posts:
Print Wikipost

Billpay at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by lowimpact
Good point. Are you suggesting that the concern would be on the WM or Citi end though? If WM you could just get in line at 6:45 and have a few smaller payments lined up to space out the other transactions...
Most likely WM. Since a payment of $2500 or higher requires you to enter your SSN, it would look very suspicious if a cashier or manager saw you making multiple payments of $2495. In fact, you could face criminal charges of structuring if it can be proven that you were making payments below the threshold with the intent to avoid reporting requirements.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday
Most likely WM. Since a payment of $2500 or higher requires you to enter your SSN, it would look very suspicious if a cashier or manager saw you making multiple payments of $2495. In fact, you could face criminal charges of structuring if it can be proven that you were making payments below the threshold with the intent to avoid reporting requirements.
Doing mostly 798.12 / 1998.12 billpays - occasionally higher w/BoAS . No issues thus far.

If that's too much info happy to edit.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by lowimpact
Doing mostly 798.12 / 1998.12 billpays - occasionally higher w/BoAS . No issues thus far.

If that's too much info happy to edit.
During the Safeway $10 coupon promotion a few months ago I would make a payment of $1998.12 each day with 4 VGCs. If someone had accused me of structuring, then I would cite that Walmart only allows a maximum of 4 debit cards to be used in a split payment.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday
Whats wrong with U? trying to practice 'Criminal' law without going to law school?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:48 pm

Is the British airways chase just visa in the system?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by Chris92128
Is the British airways chase just visa in the system?
Yes. Just paid it an hour ago.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Whats wrong with U? trying to practice 'Criminal' law without going to law school?
That's right, I'm an unlicensed criminal lawyer specializing in manufactured spending.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:39 pm

? Besides being helpful and informative, there is nothing wrong with that post...

Everything he said is true. Why do you have a problem with people stating the risks involved? This game should not be played if one is not aware of and accepts them.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:14 am

Interesting experience today. Tried to pay bill for $2499.00 + 1.88 fee using $1000 debit + 3 x $500 debit + .88 cash. Got all the way to the .88 and the register wouldn't take cash. MC clerk calls over another MC clerk who calls over customer service manager (who is busy so Assistant Store Manager comes over first). None of them could figure out what to do so we cancelled and reran for $2498.12 + 1.88 fee paying with 4 debits and it went through.

I know I have done 4 debit x $500 and paid the 1.88 fee with cash at this store before, the clerk made a point a telling each person that came over that she remembers me doing it

Fortunately everyone is great at this store (so far) and they didn't ask about what kind of debit cards I was using.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:42 am

Since a payment of $2500 or higher requires you to enter your SSN, it would look very suspicious if a cashier or manager saw you making multiple payments of $2495. In fact, you could face criminal charges of structuring if it can be proven that you were making payments below the threshold with the intent to avoid reporting requirements.
Actually, that's not true. There is no law that requires payments of $2500 to enter an SSN; there's no such federal threshhold--this is simply a Wal-Mart or CheckFree or MoneyGram rule. The federal reporting requirements are for cash transactions over $10K--and I'm pretty sure transactions involving visa debit cards do not fall under the statute; those aren't cash. I'm not an attorney; don't take my opinions as fact.

Also, the table of when billpay transactions post is wrong as well. It may be right for most readers here, but when transactions post depend on the biller and on the system used as well. Some billers have specific listings in the two different systems used at Wal-Mart; some do not. For example, you can pay a CapitalOne credit card directly next business day for a $1.50 fee (with a limit of $5K per transaction); or you can pay it as a generic Visa or MasterCard for a $1.88 fee (with a limit of $10K per transaction). Payments to my PenFed LOC post the next business day--a payment made on Tuesday for next day service will be showing in my account on Wednesday morning and the funds will be available for my use then. Payments made at the same time to my PenFed Visa on Tuesday won't show up in my account until Thursday morning, with a posting date of Wednesday.

Two basic points:

1) Please, no half-baked legal advice, however well-meant, unless you're either absolutely sure of your position or hedge by pointing out that you're only offering your own opinion.

2) Don't assume that YOUR experience is the same as everyone's. It's easy to understand how you could think that the billpay schedule is as posted, because that's what happens for you. But it doesn't happen for everyone the same way. I get annoyed when I see well-meant advice in other threads saying, for example, that we should buy Visa GCs or money orders at supermarkets using our credit cards; all the supermarkets near me require cash only for such purchases.

It's the Internet. Don't believe everything that's posted. Not even from me.

Last edited by Lobachevsky; Feb 16, 2014 at 12:46 pm
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lobachevsky
There is no law that requires payments of $2500 to enter an SSN; there's no such federal threshhold--this is simply a Wal-Mart or CheckFree or MoneyGram rule.

Please, no half-baked legal advice, however well-meant, unless you're either absolutely sure of your position or hedge by pointing out that you're only offering your own opinion.
^ U are smart and wise!, Many cannot differentiate between 'Company policy' and the 'Regulatory requirement or Law'

I think people should be real careful using/abusing the terms like 1) Criminal 2) Fraud 3) Money Laundering.(ML)
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:52 pm

Do I need to receive a closing statement and then bring it along with me in order to use bill pay at Wally?

Or could I bring along a statement with the closing date in january 2014 and tell Cashier how much payment I want to make?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:39 pm

^ U are smart and wise!, Many cannot differentiate between 'Company policy' and the 'Regulatory requirement or Law'

I think people should be real careful using/abusing the terms like 1) Criminal 2) Fraud 3) Money Laundering.(ML)
Originally Posted by Lobachevsky
Actually, that's not true. There is no law that requires payments of $2500 to enter an SSN; there's no such federal threshhold--this is simply a Wal-Mart or CheckFree or MoneyGram rule. The federal reporting requirements are for cash transactions over $10K--and I'm pretty sure transactions involving visa debit cards do not fall under the statute; those aren't cash. I'm not an attorney; don't take my opinions as fact.
Regardless of who sets the $2500 threshold, there is still good reason for a Walmart employee to file an SAR on someone who makes multiple payments just under the threshold which more information is required. I'm not saying someone will get in trouble with the law simply by doing multiple payments, but there is still a likelihood of drawing attention, which would not be good in this case regardless. I'm not here to provide legal advice but rather to encourage others to exercise caution.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:24 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by metoo
Do I need to receive a closing statement and then bring it along with me in order to use bill pay at Wally?

Or could I bring along a statement with the closing date in january 2014 and tell Cashier how much payment I want to make?
I told cashier I needed to make a bill pay to this card (gives card to cashier). After a few taps on the screen, she asked how much and I began swiping. I read earlier in the thread that you should pay MC to MC, visa to visa, and formerly Amex to Amex. Hoping everything goes smoothly. I will find out Wednesday!

The first cashier tried to do it as a wm card payment. Oops. This was my first attempt at using bill pay so I was really confused.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:07 am

[QUOTE=rossrr;22361865]I told cashier I needed to make a bill pay to this card (gives card to cashier). After a few taps on the screen, she asked how much and I began swiping. I read earlier in the thread that you should pay MC to MC, visa to visa, and formerly Amex to Amex. Hoping everything goes smoothly. I will find out Wednesday!

Chase Sapphire Pref ---- Visa ($1.88 next day) ---found on Wiki first page

Isn't the Chase Sapphire Prefer a MC so why would it work on "visa" for billpay? Will it automatically be checkfreepay or do I have to request so it is not MO to be sent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.