Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

How Closely Does Legal Manufactured Spend Cross with the Illegal World of Laundering?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Closely Does Legal Manufactured Spend Cross with the Illegal World of Laundering?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by jimmyjackfunk
Legal MS shares some characteristics with ML, no doubt about that.
LOL, well said. And succinct to boot! We could have just summed up the thread with that.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by athenakt
Agreed; I read about Enhanced Data Levels here among other places. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19693259-post4282.html

Different stores report different levels of data. From the Visa site mentioned in the post:

I frequently wonder about EDL.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by jimmyjackfunk
Legal MS shares some characteristics with ML, no doubt about that.
If it quacks like a duck its a duck, but some argue why its not a duck....
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
If it quacks like a duck its a duck, but some argue why its not a duck....
Please, about as similar as a duck is to a dinosaur. Liberty was designed from the ground up to facilitate illegal activity. From the article:

It had allowed users to open accounts and transfer money, only requiring them to provide a name, date of birth and an email address.

Cash could be put into the service using a credit card, bank wire, postal money order or other money transfer service. It was then "converted" into one of the firm's own currencies - mirroring either the Euro or US dollar - at which point it could be transferred to another account holder who could then extract the funds.

The service promised that payment transfers were "instantaneous" and it charged a maximum of $2.99 (£1.98) for each transaction. It also offered a private messaging facility which it said was "much more private and secure than email or instant messenger services".

Security expert Bryan Krebs said Liberty Reserve's features had made it a popular among cybercriminals who wanted to move funds and make payments anonymously.

However, others said they had used the service for legitimate means, viewing it as a cheaper alternative to PayPal. They fear they will now lose money still sitting in its accounts.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:53 am

The key is for us to not look like ducks by flooding things the ducks don't do. Like making bank deposits OVER $10,000. Someone with nothing to hide makes one large bank deposit instead of two small ones.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:42 am

I was accused of money laundering by a bank even when I told them what I was doing. I asked them to please explain what makes my money dirty and requires detergent and water. Biznitch couldn't do it, just stuck to her guns that I was a dirty criminal.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:35 pm

I wonder.....

Banks = Laundromat (licensed) ?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
why.are.you.here.

if you think it's illegal.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
why.are.you.here..
a good question?

Originally Posted by jewsus
I was accused of money laundering by a bank even when I told them what I was doing. I asked them to please explain what makes my money dirty and requires detergent and water. Biznitch couldn't do it, just stuck to her guns that I was a dirty criminal.
Not surprised! (how can she convince u to pay for dry cleaning ) most bank branch employees are tellers (min. wages), managers are basically senior tellers, They have very limited banking knowledge (need to know basis)...some are poorly trained or not willing to learn.
Most of the ML fines collected by the Justice dept are from banks. Every year some bank or other is paying billions in fines. I wonder, banks have best law firms services in the county yet end up paying billions.....what is so illegal but worth doing?

If we can find the answer, can we all get rich? is.the.reason.we.are.here.?

Last edited by prasha11; Feb 23, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
If we can find the answer, can we all get rich ?
Who is we all ? Lawyers ?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Who is we all ? Lawyers ?
ha ha ha ....a good one! did not see coming

I am thinking...The CC money we use to buy the GC is clean, our assumption? do we have a right to ask that question?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
why.are.you.here.

if you think it's illegal.
No kidding. Also, why was a 2 year old thread dredged up? Wish they would lock them after certain level of inactivity.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:47 pm

It's not a bad thread - but it does seem like dredging up old stuff - but with the structuring discussions going on in congress and IRS - as well as some new regulations starting in March/April - the economists should be talking about these things in this group.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by horseymen
It's not a bad thread - but it does seem like dredging up old stuff - but with the structuring discussions going on in congress and IRS - as well as some new regulations starting in March/April - the economists should be talking about these things in this group.
Which new regulations starting in March/April are you referring to? links?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.