Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Google Wallet to Pay Rent?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Exec. Platinum
Originally Posted by oohaahouch
Anything you can think that might have triggered this? do the total of 3 add up to large amount 5k type?
In total it was under 1K. Only thing that remotely makes sense is that in the past we did use the same billing address. Now everything is and has been separated for quite some time.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by TWG2012
In total it was under 1K. Only thing that remotely makes sense is that in the past we did use the same billing address. Now everything is and has been separated for quite some time.
thanks for quick responses, looks like we haven't nailed this down yet.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Also a Data point I haven't seen:

Sent small transaction (>$300) to my friend, they accepted it and was told the needed to submit "government-issued photo ID and identity documentation".
They have asked me AND everyone I've sent to for copies of:

ID
SS card
verification of address (util bill)

Old May 30, 2013, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
They have asked me AND everyone I've sent to for copies of:

ID
SS card
verification of address (util bill)

Seriously? Wow. What were your transactions like?
Old May 30, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by CFFrost
Seriously? Wow. What were your transactions like?
They were all during the very 1st $.01.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: AmEX Platinum, HYATT - Diamond, SPG - Gold, HILTON - Gold, IHG - Platinum,
Also a Data point I haven't seen:

Sent small transaction (>$300) to my friend, they accepted it and was told the needed to submit "government-issued photo ID and identity documentation".
Same thing happened to me, sent 9something it was approved instantly but the recipient - an existing GW user was asked to do ID verification and send copies of DL and Social before he can accept
Old May 30, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
you can also call them
Old May 30, 2013, 9:26 pm

Honestly, while us mileage aficionados might be willing to submit paperwork to GW to manufacture spend, if the recipient has to submit a bunch of verification documents to accept money I can hardly imagine much practical use for this tool. Take for example those people that are trying to send their rent via GW. If you get a landlord to play along, but he or she then has to submit a ton of paperwork - in all likelihood they're just going to give up and ask for a real check. Doesn't this seem like a real problem? What merchant, contractor, etc is going to do this? Am I missing something?
Old May 31, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
I wonder how google is even handling this volume of manual verifications required. Considering they just launched this in the last few days, and right away thousands of travel hackers are flooding their system trying to manufacture spend. Granted, they have virtually unlimited resources to throw at this thing to get it off the ground, but still, that takes time.

I'm sure Google is only trying to figure things out as they go, but props (or not) to them for coming up with an infrastructure to handle this so quickly. I sure would have preferred a longer window where they didn't know what they were doing and we had free reign . Still better than them panicking and freezing accounts for weeks until they come up with a way to address abuse.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:25 am

Honestly, while us mileage aficionados might be willing to submit paperwork to GW to manufacture spend, if the recipient has to submit a bunch of verification documents to accept money I can hardly imagine much practical use for this tool. Take for example those people that are trying to send their rent via GW. If you get a landlord to play along, but he or she then has to submit a ton of paperwork - in all likelihood they're just going to give up and ask for a real check. Doesn't this seem like a real problem? What merchant, contractor, etc is going to do this? Am I missing something?
Right, I have done few small trans but now I put on hold. I have gmail, Google voice, now Google wallet. I am like on 'machine' (the TV show 'Person of interest') being watched. I have no privacy, do I need the 'protection'? of every corp? 'protection' from who? my info is used and abused by every corp when I say 'hallo!'
Old May 31, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
Right, I have done few small trans but now I put on hold. I have gmail, Google voice, now Google wallet. I am like on 'machine' (the TV show 'Person of interest') being watched. I have no privacy, do I need the 'protection'? of every corp? 'protection' from who? my info is used and abused by every corp when I say 'hallo!'
I read somewhere - If you cant handle the heat, don't tickle the dragon applies to almost everything we do, from getting an FR, or cc fraud alert, declined txns, stary looks from cashiers, accounts shut down etc etc. You chose the path
Old May 31, 2013, 10:48 am

When you open a bank account - you provide documentation. I agree. If they start putting hold on everything, it wont work. But once an account is verified, it should run smoothly. Dont put 10k on it but 2-4k shouldnt be bad. Also Google is trying its best to get market share of everything. Its also in their best interest to get this to work. But in the end - you choose to provide documentation. If you dont want to, dont. This isnt the only way to manufacture spending...just saying.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by arsenalman
When you open a bank account - you provide documentation. I agree. If they start putting hold on everything, it wont work. But once an account is verified, it should run smoothly. Dont put 10k on it but 2-4k shouldnt be bad. Also Google is trying its best to get market share of everything. Its also in their best interest to get this to work. But in the end - you choose to provide documentation. If you dont want to, dont. This isnt the only way to manufacture spending...just saying.
MY account was verified. But everyone I send to is also being asked to verify before they are allowed to accept funds.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Bender464
MY account was verified. But everyone I send to is also being asked to verify before they are allowed to accept funds.
i sent it to my wife yesterday. same thing as you said above. She called and they verified her. Now she has 700 dollars of mine.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by arsenalman
i sent it to my wife yesterday. same thing as you said above. She called and they verified her. Now she has 700 dollars of mine.
Once she withdraws those 700, ask for it back, she will be forced to use a cc
700 more miles in family

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.