Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green Dot MoneyPak

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Green Dot MoneyPak

If Safeway or Rite aid allow you to buy Visa /MC variable giftcards with a credit card, does this mean that you can use the credit card for Green dot money Pak?

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old May 17, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by metoo
If Safeway or Rite aid allow you to buy Visa /MC variable giftcards with a credit card, does this mean that you can use the credit card for Green dot money Pak?

Anyone have any experience with this?
How about going there and trying?

There is no correlation between the two. There are quite a lot of places that would sell GCs and VRs with a credit card, but not green dot money packs.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Artemk
How about going there and trying?

There is no correlation between the two. There are quite a lot of places that would sell GCs and VRs with a credit card, but not green dot money packs.
Thanks. I thought there may be a correlation. I will stick with VRs
Old Jun 9, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
GD MP not activated... but CC charged

Anyone else had this happen??:

Went into the Rite Aid near my office the other day. I've bought GD MP's here before no problem. They'll let me buy multiples with a CC, but have to be rung separately, otherwise the register is hard coded to accept cash only. (found this out the first time with an all-too-friendly cashier who was more than willing to help me complete my transaction) I've even been rung up by the store manager, who has no problem taking CC's, even stated that it's Rite Aid's policy to do so (though I've been shut down at all other Rite Aid's I've tried in my local area).

Anyway, grabbed 2 the other day on my lunch break. Asked to have them split up into 2 transactions. The first rang up, with verification of load printed on slip, no problems. The second let me scan my CC, then the system flashed some warning. I'd already signed for the transaction. A receipt printed out and the clerk stated it hadn't gone through, and he'd try again. Since I was using the same AAdvantage Amex CC, I thought maybe Citi had flagged it as a potential fraud. We tried to run it again, and this time I used my AAdvantage Visa. Same problem. Clerk said it sometimes had issues connecting to GD, but not to worry, it hadn't gone through. I figured I'd take my $500 card and call it a day. Happened to glance down at the receipts and realized they were completed sales, and that the GD card "Could not be activated electronically, ask store manager to activate manually". I called Citi's automated line, and sure enough, I'd been charged 3 x $505, but I only had one GD MP in my hand. I went back inside to explain and they grabbed the store manager, who said it happens from time to time. Essentially, the system has trouble connecting to GD to verify the load, but still tenders the sale to Rite Aid (because the tender occurs first, before the load) He stated that even though the receipt asks to have the manager load it manually, they do not have the capability to do this. He proceeded to process me a refund for $504.95 to each of my Amex and Visa AAdvantage cards. When I got back, I used the good GD to load a prepaid card and ensure that the money was accounted for.

The worst part was, the clerk wasn't sure which MP he'd activated! I had to leave one of them there with the return receipts for the store's records. I didn't have any prepaid cards with me, and MP customer service was utterly useless... "due to security reasons, we cannot tell you if this card has been loaded". Similar to VR's, the receipt prints the last 4 digits of the card that's been loaded, but MP at Rite Aid all end in 4 zeros! The store manager simply offered to let me come back and exchange the unloaded card with the loaded card later that day if it were the wrong one. Fortunately, we guessed correctly and I didn't have to do this. I haven't seen the refunds post yet, but I have all the receipts showing they were processed.

Guess that's all in the "game" of manufacturing spend... make sure you check those receipts before leaving the store!
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:53 pm

That has never happened to me, but good to know. Your Rite Aid registers must be different than the ones mine have. I regularly buy $1K+ at a time. Ive done up to 3K before.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
I've had this issues happened a few times with purchasing MP's at RiteAid, which is one of the reasons I've stopped buying them (too much time spent dealing with issues and since time is money, it increases the cost of MP's).

If the receipt says that the MP could not be activated, there is nothing the manager or anyone at RiteAid can do about it, he/she must refund the money.

If the receipt says that it is activated, but when you try to load, it says the MP has 0.00 balance, you need to call them and file a case number, fax them the front and back of the MP, and the RiteAid receipt (maybe do it for a few times because their faxing system is retarded and incoming faxes occasionally vanish; however, there is a more reliable way to do this, just ask them and they'll tell you). They usually call you back within 24-36 hours and give you a new PIN to load. PITA when this happens. But I've had it happening to me more than once and the last time it did, I decided to stop buying them

Originally Posted by SANbound
Anyone else had this happen??:

Went into the Rite Aid near my office the other day. I've bought GD MP's here before no problem. They'll let me buy multiples with a CC, but have to be rung separately, otherwise the register is hard coded to accept cash only. (found this out the first time with an all-too-friendly cashier who was more than willing to help me complete my transaction) I've even been rung up by the store manager, who has no problem taking CC's, even stated that it's Rite Aid's policy to do so (though I've been shut down at all other Rite Aid's I've tried in my local area).

Anyway, grabbed 2 the other day on my lunch break. Asked to have them split up into 2 transactions. The first rang up, with verification of load printed on slip, no problems. The second let me scan my CC, then the system flashed some warning. I'd already signed for the transaction. A receipt printed out and the clerk stated it hadn't gone through, and he'd try again. Since I was using the same AAdvantage Amex CC, I thought maybe Citi had flagged it as a potential fraud. We tried to run it again, and this time I used my AAdvantage Visa. Same problem. Clerk said it sometimes had issues connecting to GD, but not to worry, it hadn't gone through. I figured I'd take my $500 card and call it a day. Happened to glance down at the receipts and realized they were completed sales, and that the GD card "Could not be activated electronically, ask store manager to activate manually". I called Citi's automated line, and sure enough, I'd been charged 3 x $505, but I only had one GD MP in my hand. I went back inside to explain and they grabbed the store manager, who said it happens from time to time. Essentially, the system has trouble connecting to GD to verify the load, but still tenders the sale to Rite Aid (because the tender occurs first, before the load) He stated that even though the receipt asks to have the manager load it manually, they do not have the capability to do this. He proceeded to process me a refund for $504.95 to each of my Amex and Visa AAdvantage cards. When I got back, I used the good GD to load a prepaid card and ensure that the money was accounted for.

The worst part was, the clerk wasn't sure which MP he'd activated! I had to leave one of them there with the return receipts for the store's records. I didn't have any prepaid cards with me, and MP customer service was utterly useless... "due to security reasons, we cannot tell you if this card has been loaded". Similar to VR's, the receipt prints the last 4 digits of the card that's been loaded, but MP at Rite Aid all end in 4 zeros! The store manager simply offered to let me come back and exchange the unloaded card with the loaded card later that day if it were the wrong one. Fortunately, we guessed correctly and I didn't have to do this. I haven't seen the refunds post yet, but I have all the receipts showing they were processed.

Guess that's all in the "game" of manufacturing spend... make sure you check those receipts before leaving the store!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:12 am

Emerald card and moneypak

Happened to walk by an open H&R Block store today. I liked TPG's blog about the emerald card (reload able) so I walked in and gave it a shot. 15 minute later I had my card. I like the idea of being one of 10,000,000 customers. Harder for them to spot me.

Having never bought moneypaks before I was driving past a rite aid and wandered in. $1,000 in moneypaks on my club Carlson card, no problem.

Came home and loaded them right up.

Emerald card has $30,000 load limit a month.
Max ATM withdrawals $3,000 or 7 transactions @$2.50
Bill pay does cost $.95 per bill.

Have 2 BB but I really like the $30k limit per month.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:54 am

AP fee?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Green Dot is such a thing, if they decide to ban you, you will be banned for life of all their products... So it'll be no MP access anymore, or GB. Just saying.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by pier11
Green Dot is such a thing, if they decide to ban you, you will be banned for life of all their products... So it'll be no MP access anymore, or GB. Just saying.
How exactly can GreenDot ban you from MP access?
Sure, they can ban you from GB, but they don't have the power to ban you from AccountNow, and other products. Neither do they know what SSN is used for the card that they are loading MPs to.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Sure, they can ban you from GB, but they don't have the power to ban you from AccountNow, and other products. Neither do they know what SSN is used for the card that they are loading MPs to.
I agree. I've been banned by Gobank (GD) and now my GD card won't load anymore. My Rush card and Mango still works fine.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:35 am

I am the author of the article for TPG that the OP referred to. Just so everyone knows, Money Paks are entirely separate from their prepaid card products, both offered by Green Dot corp.

As others have correctly pointed out, there is no way for anyone to be banned from purchasing a Money Pak, any more than you can be banned from buying VR or any other specific product at a retail store.

Of course, the prepaid cards can close your accounts, like Account Now recently did to so many. But the beauty of Green Dot Money Paks (not prepaid cards) is that there are about 200 different prepaid cards offered that are compatible, of which the Green Dot brand prepaid cards are just a handful.

I am glad the OP enjoyed the article, and I hope that this clarifies things.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
GD won't prevent you from using other accounts, but their products - MP in this case.
HRB is obviously GD's partner as they use their MP technology. So nothing prevents GD to advise the former of blacklisted users. In theory.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by JSteele
I am glad the OP enjoyed the article, and I hope that this clarifies things.
I also enjoyed your article the time you posted it
But still thinking the combo is a bit on expensive side ~$5 MP + ~1 for bill pay.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
It sounds like the Emerald card could be a good idea. Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.