Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green Dot MoneyPak

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Bought a few MPs at RA two days ago. Every single one of them is showing a $0 balance -- incredibly frustrating. I guess I'm going to have to do the same as a poster above: file a claim and do a bunch of faxing. Grrr..... Wonder why they have this problem.
I ran into this before when i was in RA territory and could actually buy them (now in TX where i have not found ANYWHERE to buy them with cc- all hard coded in registers- everywhere). if anyone has a TX location that can sell them with cc, please post or pm!

NOW... the key is to never buy more than 2 in one transaction to avoid the activation issues. Do multiple transactions and, from my experience, all will load properly.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by JSteele
I am the author of the article for TPG that the OP referred to. Just so everyone knows, Money Paks are entirely separate from their prepaid card products, both offered by Green Dot corp.

As others have correctly pointed out, there is no way for anyone to be banned from purchasing a Money Pak, any more than you can be banned from buying VR or any other specific product at a retail store.

Of course, the prepaid cards can close your accounts, like Account Now recently did to so many. But the beauty of Green Dot Money Paks (not prepaid cards) is that there are about 200 different prepaid cards offered that are compatible, of which the Green Dot brand prepaid cards are just a handful.

I am glad the OP enjoyed the article, and I hope that this clarifies things.
I saw Am Ex prepaid card was listed as a partner of MP. Just wondering did someone try MP --> the Bird? TIA!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:54 pm

I tried Kroger, rite aid. None accept CC for MP. Guess I am going to throw my AccountNow card in the drawer.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:54 pm

Anybody buy an MP with CC at CVS?

P.S. I went to HR Block, no dice on Emerald. She sat me down in her office and started clicking around hrblock.com at the same pages I already looked at. Didn't wanna tell her how to do her job, but that would be like the teller at the bank entering deposits by going to the info pages of the bank's website, yikes. Later she called me saying she checked with whoever she thought would know, and they can't do it. Does anybody know the name of the computer system or whatever it is that would yield success for the employee who's helping me? i.e. don't open Internet Explorer, click on this instead?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
I used to do MP a lot when it was free (good old days!). It happened to me once, they zero'ed out 6 cards that I had purchased in 3 separate transactions. After I called them, they put in a research request to their IT team (that's what the CS rep told me) and they fixed it within 24 hours.

I agree with the prev poster, this is caused by Greendot folks, nothing to do with RA.

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
I ran into this before when i was in RA territory and could actually buy them (now in TX where i have not found ANYWHERE to buy them with cc- all hard coded in registers- everywhere). if anyone has a TX location that can sell them with cc, please post or pm!

NOW... the key is to never buy more than 2 in one transaction to avoid the activation issues. Do multiple transactions and, from my experience, all will load properly.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman

My purchases of MP were in CO. I don't think TX (or at least the Dallas area) has any more Rite Aids. We have plenty of CVS stores though

Unfortunately, you're tip didn't hold true in my instance. The cashier that was ringing me up wanted to do only one card per transaction. He said that it was policy and that the register wouldn't take more than one MP at a time (which I knew was false, but didn't argue about).

I'm going to call today and see if they can look into it. I tried calling last Friday but the wait time was 20+ minutes to talk to someone (actually, the automated hold message kept telling me it would be 20 minutes to talk to someone, even as 5, 10 minutes passed -- I'm guessing the max hold time they have on their pre-recorded msg was 20 min).
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:24 pm

Anyone buy MP with CC at WM? I have just the card to try if so.

Noticed the load limits are higher there (1K) but seems to be cash only? Before I make the 'pilgrimage', wondered if people have found it to be hard coded or YMMV?

Edit: appears not, per other sources. WM steals all that is good from my idea pile

Last edited by AveApostle; Sep 13, 2013 at 8:40 pm Reason: life happens
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf

P.S. I went to HR Block, no dice on Emerald. She sat me down in her office and started clicking around hrblock.com at the same pages I already looked at. Didn't wanna tell her how to do her job, but that would be like the teller at the bank entering deposits by going to the info pages of the bank's website, yikes. Later she called me saying she checked with whoever she thought would know, and they can't do it. Does anybody know the name of the computer system or whatever it is that would yield success for the employee who's helping me? i.e. don't open Internet Explorer, click on this instead?
When I got mine the woman allowed me to watch the screen. Her words were its exactly the same system as if you we're filing your taxes there. She just skipped or ignored a step. I forget which.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:38 pm

Same for me

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Yep, Exactly the same reason I stopped playing the MP's game.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:40 am

Has anyone else's Rite-aids stopped carrying Greendots too?

One near me said they stopped carrying weeks ago. I will try another.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Has anyone else's Rite-aids stopped carrying Greendots too?

One near me said they stopped carrying weeks ago. I will try another.
nope mine has them. 1 of 3 let me buy with cc.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Not true!

Did you test this theory before posting?

GD is smarter than that. If they see a certain value of MP's activated within a certain time frame from one location, all those MP's will go into the 'blocked' state.

Yes, this kind of sucks for two (or more) FTers that go into the same store a few minutes apart and only spend an amount below the 'block threshold' (which seems to be $1000).
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Not true!

Did you test this theory before posting?

GD is smarter than that. If they see a certain value of MP's activated within a certain time frame from one location, all those MP's will go into the 'blocked' state.

Yes, this kind of sucks for two (or more) FTers that go into the same store a few minutes apart and only spend an amount below the 'block threshold' (which seems to be $1000).
Back when I used to buy MPs, I would consistently buy $2500 in one transaction. Only had them blocked once.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cashback
Back when I used to buy MPs, I would consistently buy $2500 in one transaction. Only had them blocked once.
u should type "only" before the word "once" instead of at the beginning of the sentence
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
u should type "only" before the word "once" instead of at the beginning of the sentence
Thank u grammar police.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.