Wiki Posts
Search

Green Dot MoneyPak

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
MoneyPak with credit card at Kroger?

I was randomly checking the other day and noticed that the "cash only" verbiage from the card is gone. At least, I think it was there before. Does that mean that MP can be bought with a credit card now?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
You should try and let us know.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:19 pm

MoneyPak with credit card at Kroger?

I tried@Kroger a couple months ago and I believe the system (not am individual) refused it- hard coded.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:21 am

I tried yesterday and cashier told me cash only
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:15 pm

I was told cash only a few months ago. I swiped my card and the register rejected it.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:38 pm

I guys that's that.

/thread
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Bought a few MPs at RA two days ago. Every single one of them is showing a $0 balance -- incredibly frustrating. I guess I'm going to have to do the same as a poster above: file a claim and do a bunch of faxing. Grrr..... Wonder why they have this problem.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Bought a few MPs at RA two days ago. Every single one of them is showing a $0 balance -- incredibly frustrating. I guess I'm going to have to do the same as a poster above: file a claim and do a bunch of faxing. Grrr..... Wonder why they have this problem.
This is why I gave up buying MPs. Bought $2500 worth and all were $0 balance. To make matters worse, the RA receipts show the last 4 numbers for every card as "0000." There is no way to prove that the cards you have are the ones shown on the receipt.

Too much of a headache to be worth it for me. GD customer service is a joke too.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by cashback
This is why I gave up buying MPs. Bought $2500 worth and all were $0 balance. To make matters worse, the RA receipts show the last 4 numbers for every card as "0000." There is no way to prove that the cards you have are the ones shown on the receipt.

Too much of a headache to be worth it for me. GD customer service is a joke too.
Yep, Exactly the same reason I stopped playing the MP's game.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:38 pm

Wow! When did all this zeroing out start happening? I get Mps from RiteAid once in a blue moon (was planning on trying tonight) and never heard of such a thing. I refuse to believe that they are zeroing out MPs that were purchased with a CC...

I know that it sometimes take a few minutes/hours for the cards to fully activate. rite-aid has a 30 minute lag time IIRC. But these stories are bizarre....
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Wow! When did all this zeroing out start happening? I get Mps from RiteAid once in a blue moon (was planning on trying tonight) and never heard of such a thing. I refuse to believe that they are zeroing out MPs that were purchased with a CC...

I know that it sometimes take a few minutes/hours for the cards to fully activate. rite-aid has a 30 minute lag time IIRC. But these stories are bizarre....
Long time ago. It does not happen all the time. It's once in a while. If you buy enough MPs, eventually it will happen to you :-). But dealing with them a couple times is enough for me to stop using MP's as a meaningful way to generate spend, not worth the time.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Long time ago. It does not happen all the time. It's once in a while. If you buy enough MPs, eventually it will happen to you :-). But dealing with them a couple times is enough for me to stop using MP's as a meaningful way to generate spend, not worth the time.
I feel the same as this.

I did not lose the $2500, but the initial feeling when all the cards were $0 and the thought of dealing with GD to get it back, was enough to make me stop. They never gave me a straight answer of why they did it, but Im pretty sure it was a fraud prevention thing. It wasnt because RA did something wrong.

Plus with the "0000" as the last 4 on the receipt, there is really no way to prove anything. At least when I buy GCs, I can prove when and where I bought them.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:53 pm

I feel the same as this.

I did not lose the $2500, but the initial feeling when all the cards were $0 and the thought of dealing with GD to get it back, was enough to make me stop. They never gave me a straight answer of why they did it, but Im pretty sure it was a fraud prevention thing. It wasnt because RA did something wrong.

Plus with the "0000" as the last 4 on the receipt, there is really no way to prove anything.
Actually a manager at RiteAid can look at the journal and tell you the right numbers on the back of the MP's (they've shown it to me once)
Another thing is that a GD supervisor told me that they constantly monitor activities on each MP and if there are activities on a MP number shortly before it's activated, they will $0 it out as a precaution (in case somebody runs a computer script to try to get money from it). Seems bs to me. Why not just reject the sale, instead of activating it with $0 and keep the money?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Actually a manager at RiteAid can look at the journal and tell you the right numbers on the back of the MP's (they've shown it to me once)
Thats good then. But still no more MPs for me lol.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by KYBOSH

But 20 MPs -- I have only checked 4 of them but all of them are zeroed out. Huge PITA. The only reason I bought the MPs instead of the VRs is because I'm in a part of the country where they don't have CVS -- I wanted to keep churning even though I'm not near my beans. That's what I get for going hard on a product I'm not familiar with.

They never gave me a straight answer of why they did it, but Im pretty sure it was a fraud prevention thing. It wasnt because RA did something wrong.

Plus with the "0000" as the last 4 on the receipt, there is really no way to prove anything. At least when I buy GCs, I can prove when and where I bought them.
GD zeroing them all out because of fraud suspicion sounds plausible -- don't think it was a tech mistake.

Also, good to know the store mgr can match up the numbers. Glad I saved all my receipts, just in case...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.