Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to load VRs other than Bluebird and Amex Prepaid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to load VRs other than Bluebird and Amex Prepaid?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Not necessarily. However, I find it difficult to believe that I will get shut down if I pay a few bills here, swipe a few times there, and withdraw cash when I actually need it versus trying to convert credit to cash on a large scale......
Funny how you think that because it's difficult for you to believe, it must not be true.

I promise you, from personal experience, that what you describe will not protect you. No one (in this community) knows the algorithm that results in a shutdown. It's prolly different for each provider. That's why this game is so interesting!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I would like to see an example of someone with moderate usage, swipes,a nd bill pay being shut down. Key words: moderate and swipes.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:36 pm

I would like to see an example of someone with moderate usage, swipes,a nd bill pay being shut down. Key words: moderate and swipes.
Bigger question is why would you care? It is pretty obvious that every deal has a certain, fairly short, lifespan. You card is just a part of some deal. If you were moderate and protected your card, your deal for which you've got your card, would still be dead pretty soon.
In other words, if you were moderate, you've missed an opportunity and ended up with a working useless card.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Bigger question is why would you care? It is pretty obvious that every deal has a certain, fairly short, lifespan. You card is just a part of some deal. If you were moderate and protected your card, your deal for which you've got your card, would still be dead pretty soon.
In other words, if you were moderate, you've missed an opportunity and ended up with a working useless card.
I care because I believe that companies want to make money. If they're making money, they are happy. Not swiping isn't going to make them happy.

Ultimately, I just really like these current deals and don't want them to go away. I'm also ticked off that these chains don't check IDs so they could curtail fraud. I'm happy to play nice in the sandbox if I can pay some bills with CC.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Keep doing it. You'll prolly see it.....
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by kcblakely
No need for the snarky remarks. I want what you guys want. I think we all agree that if the game was played slightly different, the game would last a lot longer.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
No need for the snarky remarks. I want what you guys want. I think we all agree that if the game was played slightly different, the game would last a lot longer.
^
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Not necessarily. However, I find it difficult to believe that I will get shut down if I pay a few bills here, swipe a few times there, and withdraw cash when I actually need it versus trying to convert credit to cash on a large scale.

I'm all about beating the system. We need to be smart enough to know that the system makes the rules and can decide to shut us down or make the deals less appealing. If I swipe 4 or 5 times and pay 5 bucks total, I'm still winning. The companies are too if everyone swipes. Folks that never take their card out of the house are probably going to get shut down sooner rather than later.
Whatever ONE person does or doesn't do has no bearing on whether a deal gets shut down or not. Unless you can get EVERYONE on the same page, sorry I doubt it will help any.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by kcblakely
No need for the snarky remarks. .
You gotta admit, it was kinda funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.