Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:04 pm

Edited
Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Anybody having issues registering MetaBank GCs to set a PIN? Doesn't want to let either load up on the giftcardmall.com/mygift site.

Edit: worked once I logged out without creating an account...must have missed being able to do that...

Last edited by PainCorp; Apr 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: SPG,United,Delta,AA,Marriott Silver
PIN available now for selected Visa/MC giftcards

Just loaded BB using the GC from GCM at WM
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HY Diamod, MR Gold, PCR Plat
Bough US bank MC GC from Dominicks. First tried to use it as debit card to get cash back at check out. The transaction was denied. Then tried to buy MO at WM. This was passed.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by maijojacob
Just loaded BB using the GC from GCM at WM
Why not buy a MO ?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flyfire
Bough US bank MC GC from Dominicks. First tried to use it as debit card to get cash back at check out. The transaction was denied. Then tried to buy MO at WM. This was passed.

Can I use US Bank master GC to load BB? Thank you!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bender464
No, I'm not sure why you thought that. Start over here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...giftcards.html
^
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by milemission
Not tested. But according to other posters, it should be OK.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
Why not buy a MO ?
Because there's 70c fee for MO?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:11 pm

Oh my. 70 cents. Last of the big spenders...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by texasguy77
I used a Bancorp Visa today and it worked at WM to load BB.^
I assume this was a Vanilla card? Did you purchase something first to establish a PIN, or simply use the card to load BB? I tried the latter early today but was unsuccessful ("tender not approved")
TIA!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by flyfire
Because there's 70c fee for MO?
Agreed. Who in their right mind would spend that to get hundreds off of a gc! That's almost as bad as the $2.50 tax when redeeming Avios miles on AA!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by milemission
Yes at WM...at first, the register automatically detects it as a CC and denies it, but then the option to "use another type" comes up on the terminal, click it, choose debit, then you'll get the option to put in your pin. Have done it three times already.^
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:30 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by farwest101
Oh my. 70 cents. Last of the big spenders...
Your sarcasm betrays the fact that you're obviously not a DansDeals kind of guy. (The real give-away was not placing a couple of exclamation marks after that ".70 cents".
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by stealph
Agreed. Who in their right mind would spend that to get hundreds off of a gc! That's almost as bad as the $2.50 tax when redeeming Avios miles on AA!
For shame. I thought these tickets were suppose to be free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.