Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
When it is not 4x bonus everything counts, however, when they have the special and offer 4x bonus then Fry's/Kroger GC and MC/Vista GC do not count. I have finally gotten my partner into the habit of stopping off at Fry's before he heads out shopping, it has saved us a lot of money on gas...

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Have you checked the receipt for the fuel points? Last time I checked Fry's Fuel Rewards program does not allow variable GC to count as fuel points. Same thing for other Kroger chains, I'd say. I can confirm that it does not earn fuel points at Ralphs, QFC, nor Fred Meyer. Also Krogers don't seem to carry $200 Visa/MC, only $25, $50, $100, and variable (and some multipack that have ridiculous fees)

This is directly from Frys Food website

Do Gift Card purchases count toward fuel points?

Yes. Gift Card purchases count 2X toward your fuel points monthly balance, with the exception of Fry's and Kroger Family of Stores Gift Cards, Green Dot prepaid reloadable products, MoneyPaks, American Express Variable Load Gift Cards, Visa Variable Load Gift Cards, and MasterCard Variable Load Gift Cards. Browse our Gift Card Mall.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by phxsun2001
I bought a gift card and got the pin. Walmart and all the food stores I tried would not accept it in AZ and Bay area for buying MO. They all say it is a credit card, although it says it is a gift card on the card.
Why did you show them the card???
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Have you checked the receipt for the fuel points? Last time I checked Fry's Fuel Rewards program does not allow variable GC to count as fuel points. Same thing for other Kroger chains, I'd say. I can confirm that it does not earn fuel points at Ralphs, QFC, nor Fred Meyer. Also Krogers don't seem to carry $200 Visa/MC, only $25, $50, $100, and variable (and some multipack that have ridiculous fees)

This is directly from Frys Food website

Do Gift Card purchases count toward fuel points?

Yes. Gift Card purchases count 2X toward your fuel points monthly balance, with the exception of Fry's and Kroger Family of Stores Gift Cards, Green Dot prepaid reloadable products, MoneyPaks, American Express Variable Load Gift Cards, Visa Variable Load Gift Cards, and MasterCard Variable Load Gift Cards. Browse our Gift Card Mall.
Yes. I've bought 3 in past week at 2 different Krogers and have 1500 fuel points right now. If it works for you, you can only use max of 1000 fuel points at each fill up so keep that in mind.

PM if you have further questions.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Must be specific to Fry's, because this is certainly not the case for the chains I mentioned.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When it is not 4x bonus everything counts, however, when they have the special and offer 4x bonus then Fry's/Kroger GC and MC/Vista GC do not count. I have finally gotten my partner into the habit of stopping off at Fry's before he heads out shopping, it has saved us a lot of money on gas...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
Yes. I've bought 3 in past week at 2 different Krogers and have 1500 fuel points right now. If it works for you, you can only use max of 1000 fuel points at each fill up so keep that in mind.

Here in PHX it is 1200 points for $1.00 off a gallon, up to 35 gallons. Between the CC giving up 3x points and then the 2x or 4x gas points it is a great deal... Get points to fly FC and points for lower gas prices too. A nice double dip.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:52 am

I just want to use pin base debit card to reach my minimum spending, and want to load to BB only, I don't need MO. I can get VR at CVS but I want to split purchases in different stores. Can anyone please suggest which card I should buy at WM to load BB?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
All the information you need is in this thread. Please read the posts...

Originally Posted by mak101
I just want to use pin base debit card to reach my minimum spending, and want to load to BB only, I don't need MO. I can get VR at CVS but I want to split purchases in different stores. Can anyone please suggest which card I should buy at WM to load BB?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by newbynewbynew

This is awesome. And, unexpected.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:03 pm

I just went to WM today and found variable load Vanila master card, I could not find and visa card, and picked one to load 500, but it denied my credit card at register, supervisor told me you can buy debt card only by cash. Is that right? I thought people are buying debit cards at WM with CC.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
I just went to WM today and found variable load Vanila master card, I could not find and visa card, and picked one to load 500, but it denied my credit card at register, supervisor told me you can buy debt card only by cash. Is that right? I thought people are buying debit cards at WM with CC.
I think most people are buying these gift cards at grocery stores such as Kroger/Safeway
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
No, I'm not sure why you thought that. Start over here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...giftcards.html
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by nep301
I think most people are buying these gift cards at grocery stores such as Kroger/Safeway
Correct, although *some* WM might code as grocery.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bender464
No, I'm not sure why you thought that. Start over here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...giftcards.html
This might have made me actually laugh out loud...favorite post today, by far.

Originally Posted by Bender464
Correct, although *some* WM might code as grocery.
That's not the reason he's trying to buy them there.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
This might have made me actually laugh out loud...favorite post today, by far.
Sometimes, I even crack myself up!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Bancorp

Originally Posted by schcas
For what its worth, I discussed PIN setup with a rep from Bancorp re: Vanilla Visa GC and the CSR said that the pin feature goes online for all their cards tomorrow (4/9/13)
I used a Bancorp Visa today and it worked at WM to load BB.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.