Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by xlax
Vanilla VISA (from Bancorp Bank) would not work at WM for BB, billpay or MO. Cashier said they "are not taking" Vanilla "debit" cards for these transactions. Of course, YMMV, but I'm off to AP to unload this.

xlax
Exact same experience, except that cashier did not know why it didn't work. It would not shock me if Walmart knows about Vanilla Visa, but doesn't know about US Bank/Meta Bank yet.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:29 pm

I went to Walmart today and tried to load my BB with 4 debit cards. Each one had $200 on it. The first three send approved. After I swiped the fourth one, it gave the register an error and spit out a small receipt. We had to start the transaction over and only did three debit cards for $600.

On Wednesday, I used 4 $200 debit cards for a MO.

When was the last time someone used 4 debit cards for a MO or BB load?

Data point: The minimum you can load on BB at Walmart is $20. If you have a debit card with less than $20, you can load it with another card to get rid of it. (Example: $6.36 and $40.00) This is a way to unload those debit cards with small amounts on them.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by Corridor!
I went to Walmart today and tried to load my BB with 4 debit cards. Each one had $200 on it. The first three send approved. After I swiped the fourth one, it gave the register an error and spit out a small receipt. We had to start the transaction over and only did three debit cards for $600.

On Wednesday, I used 4 $200 debit cards for a MO.

When was the last time someone used 4 debit cards for a MO or BB load?

Data point: The minimum you can load on BB at Walmart is $20. If you have a debit card with less than $20, you can load it with another card to get rid of it. (Example: $6.36 and $40.00) This is a way to unload those debit cards with small amounts on them.
Interesting..same experience happened to me yesterday at the electronics counter. We ended up doing the transactions again separately.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Finally had a chance to try my Vanilla Visa GCs from OD. I went to my local supermarket (name withheld) and asked for 2k in money orders (4x500).

There seems to be an issue that might explain why some folks are having a problem with the Vanilla cards - when I was swiping, every card returned an error for insufficient funds even though the cashier assigned a $200 amount to charge. She ended up having to manually override the error to complete the transaction, which meant managing the entire POS process to complete the purchase, overriding each card's error message.

Not sure if this was POS specific to this company, or if Vanilla's banking partner is returning an error if a request is made up to the max amount loaded on the card.

If Walmart is refusing these cards, then I'll stick with my supermarket - but since OD only sells Vanilla issued cards, I'm not sure what my other options are if I'm only interested in buying the GC's from an office supply store.

I was able to set a PIN on first swipe, which is convenient when trying to unload 10 cards.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
I went in to load to BB at WM today and same thing happened. It only takes 3 debit cards for a transaction.

Originally Posted by stealph
Interesting..same experience happened to me yesterday at the electronics counter. We ended up doing the transactions again separately.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
If you have a Staples or OfficeMax store nearby, take a look. They might have other cards, at least the Staples that I visit has a Metabank Card.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Finally had a chance to try my Vanilla Visa GCs from OD. I went to my local supermarket (name withheld) and asked for 2k in money orders (4x500).

There seems to be an issue that might explain why some folks are having a problem with the Vanilla cards - when I was swiping, every card returned an error for insufficient funds even though the cashier assigned a $200 amount to charge. She ended up having to manually override the error to complete the transaction, which meant managing the entire POS process to complete the purchase, overriding each card's error message.

Not sure if this was POS specific to this company, or if Vanilla's banking partner is returning an error if a request is made up to the max amount loaded on the card.

If Walmart is refusing these cards, then I'll stick with my supermarket - but since OD only sells Vanilla issued cards, I'm not sure what my other options are if I'm only interested in buying the GC's from an office supply store.

I was able to set a PIN on first swipe, which is convenient when trying to unload 10 cards.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
I was able to use a US Bank mc, US Bank visa, and vanilla visa to purchase 3 separate money orders at WM. Purchased one at the customer service desk, and the other two at the automated kiosk. I had no problems with using the gc as debit.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by nep301
I was able to use a US Bank mc, US Bank visa, and vanilla visa to purchase 3 separate money orders at WM. Purchased one at the customer service desk, and the other two at the automated kiosk. I had no problems with using the gc as debit.
This is the first I'm hearing Vanilla Visa worked as a pin transaction.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
If you have a Staples or OfficeMax store nearby, take a look. They might have other cards, at least the Staples that I visit has a Metabank Card.
My OM has Metabank gift cards. This is what I have been using thus far.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by echip
I tried to use $500 Vanilla Visa gc today at the post office for money order, but got denied. I didn't even get to the stage to enter PIN.
Anyone has issue with these Bancorp Vanilla visa gcs?
Who denied you? the postal clerk or the point of sale system? if the former, the form of payment is not their personal choice - a debit is a debit. Try another PO or another clerk. If the latter, did you swipe the card and the system showed an invalid form of payment?
It was the processing system. I gave the clerk my Vanilla visa, he swiped it, but wouldn't go thru. I told him it's a debit card, he swiped again, still did not work. Today, I used AP to depleted all $500, worked fine.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: SW,
Walmart is not accepting Gift cards with pin in AZ and Bay area

I think we need to take the thread underground as I'm sure this will end up on blogging sites pretty soon and next thing we know, Walmart and USPS will stop accepting debit cards for money orders.
I bought a gift card and got the pin. Walmart and all the food stores I tried would not accept it in AZ and Bay area for buying MO. They all say it is a credit card, although it says it is a gift card on the card.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by phxsun2001
I bought a gift card and got the pin. Walmart and all the food stores I tried would not accept it in AZ and Bay area for buying MO. They all say it is a credit card, although it says it is a gift card on the card.
Used four metabank debit cards today at WM to buy MOs no problem...
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by phxsun2001
I have been buying MOs for the past 2 weeks at WM with no issues whatsoever. Not sure why you are having problems. Do not show the cards to the cashier.. Usually the cashier asks me debit, I am like yes debit.. and off I go to swipe the card. I do not display the cards up front.. The cards are in my hand..
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by echip
It was the processing system. I gave the clerk my Vanilla visa, he swiped it, but wouldn't go thru. I told him it's a debit card, he swiped again, still did not work. Today, I used AP to depleted all $500, worked fine.
I wonder why the Vanilla cards are such a PITA, although the feature to set a PIN at first use is far more user friendly than Metabank, given I have 7-10 cards to flush at a time.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Have you checked the receipt for the fuel points? Last time I checked Fry's Fuel Rewards program does not allow variable GC to count as fuel points. Same thing for other Kroger chains, I'd say. I can confirm that it does not earn fuel points at Ralphs, QFC, nor Fred Meyer. Also Krogers don't seem to carry $200 Visa/MC, only $25, $50, $100, and variable (and some multipack that have ridiculous fees)

This is directly from Frys Food website

Do Gift Card purchases count toward fuel points?

Yes. Gift Card purchases count 2X toward your fuel points monthly balance, with the exception of Fry's and Kroger Family of Stores Gift Cards, Green Dot prepaid reloadable products, MoneyPaks, American Express Variable Load Gift Cards, Visa Variable Load Gift Cards, and MasterCard Variable Load Gift Cards. Browse our Gift Card Mall.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Here in Phoenix, Krogers/Fry's have promotions for 4x gas bouns, however, you can not purchase these type of cards to get the 4x bouns, which would be nice, however, you can purchase then with the normal 2x bouns, which you are right off set the cost when you fill up your car with a $1.00 of a gallon.
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Kroger in the southeast only gives fuel points for $100 dollar and below cards. You're going to make a killing. I'm jealous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.