Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 7:58 pm

Apparently two of my VGCs were never activated even though I have the receipts saying they are. Here's the problem, I purchased about 10 VGCs, all of which were "activated" on multiple trips but am not sure which VGC corresponds to which receipt since the numbers on the card do not match the numbers on the barcode of the packaging. Can anyone recommend what steps I should take to fix this problem?
Old May 12, 2014, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by deant
No, you just ask for a copy of the receipt.
Originally Posted by hamhead
You'd go to the store for that obviously. Stores can look up transactions that took place with specific card numbers and reprint your receipt.

All you'd have to do is go to the store and say "Hey, I bought some gift cards here on 5/5 that aren't activating properly. I've misplaced the receipt. Can you look up the transaction with my card number and we'll go from there?"

Bringing the CC company into it is a terrible idea.
Well this is why I posted here before I jumped to conclusions. I will visit the store this week and share my experience. Lesson learned thank you.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by averagejoe23
Apparently two of my VGCs were never activated even though I have the receipts saying they are. Here's the problem, I purchased about 10 VGCs, all of which were "activated" on multiple trips but am not sure which VGC corresponds to which receipt since the numbers on the card do not match the numbers on the barcode of the packaging. Can anyone recommend what steps I should take to fix this problem?
I've noticed that the number on my receipts matches the barcode on the back of the VGC. That's been the only method I could use to match them up.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Now in the past week I have heard a few stories like this... where the GC issuer is demanding (obtusely) that we produce the packaging! That is bad news since they KNOW most people may not have it! It is to me a big old smoke screen designed to delay processing and hold your money longer. I could go on about that but my point is, I think it's bogus.

1) from now on I will save my packaging in a bag until I have used the whole GC.

2) I will record some note on the GC that tells me which one goes with which. Some GCs have the same numbers, some not. I will look, and make notes accordingly. For example, if the package ends in like 5467 and the gc has nothing like that on it, I will write 5467 in a sharpie on the back so I know. OR I will number the GCs and the packages accordingly.

3) to that end, a coding system for my needs has to be better designed. I already always SIGN the back of my gcs, but now I will not just write codes as to what store, or CC or something, but instead, I have to have an enigma system or something. So I am working on this one:

1,2,3,4,5,6 etc is the store I bought from. I maybe have a piece of paper in my car where I write out what store corresponds to what number on any given MS run. So CVS 1 could be 1 whereas CVS 2 could be 2, and the walgreens I go to could be #3, and so on. I would also write the number on the receipt so I am sure #1 is that first store, etc.

A,B,C,D,E,F,G... etc could be the CC used. I could make up a list only I know that tells me if there's a B on it, that means I must have used the Amex Blue or something; a C could be my Auth User Amex Blue of my wife, etc.

1,2,3,4,5,6 etc could follow that and tell me GC package or something.

So if I have a GC I pull out to use later and it says, 1A2 on it, this was bought at my first CVS #1, using such and such CC, and the package in my bag of torn packages in my car is the one with a #2 on it.

I am just now actually thinking of this so it may work.

For those running into the bad activation problem, though, I suggest this:

You are going to wait at least a week either way. Weather you jump through their bogus hoops and fax in all the crap they need or not. they will D*ck you around. I have had it happen (although not needing to send in packages, thank goodness!).

Sooo, I suggest FDIC.

https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

you can fill this out and send in online (with as much detail as possible) or mail it in. Either way, you are looking at 3-6 weeks, BUT they will nudge the issuer to comply and give you your money.

if this fails, small claims corut is next. You are being baited and switched. Bamboozled. Asked to do the impossible AFTER the fact. Demand extra damages. Court is different in every state and I aint no lawyer so I am just basing things on my own experience in my state but if you went with SCC, you would file and wait up to 6 weeks and likely get a settlement out of court and could receive more than you started with. not that this was your goal, but hey, as they held your money, you lost use of it, interest, pains of worry and such, etc. I dunno.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Yes I know lesson learned...purchased on 5/5/14. I'm thinking I may have to contact credit card company ��
Contact the credit card company?!
Old May 12, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Scenarios like these are going to get some folks to quit MS. I hate that folks have their money tied up. But, I'm also concerned with folks that freak out and do reckless things like raise a fuss with their CC company.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Now in the past week I have heard a few stories like this... where the GC issuer is demanding (obtusely) that we produce the packaging! That is bad news since they KNOW most people may not have it! It is to me a big old smoke screen designed to delay processing and hold your money longer. I could go on about that but my point is, I think it's bogus.

1) from now on I will save my packaging in a bag until I have used the whole GC.

Thanks for all of the great info. I thankfully still have the packaging for my cards but when on the phone with the rep told them I didn't have it and they said that it was "OK" so this should not prevent the cards from ultimately getting activated.

Since this happened over the weekend apparently to a lot of folks, if my cards still aren't active by Friday I'll complete the FDIC form to see if I can push through some resolution on this.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by rudora
Thanks for all of the great info. I thankfully still have the packaging for my cards but when on the phone with the rep told them I didn't have it and they said that it was "OK" so this should not prevent the cards from ultimately getting activated.

Since this happened over the weekend apparently to a lot of folks, if my cards still aren't active by Friday I'll complete the FDIC form to see if I can push through some resolution on this.
Ok, so other people are still unable to get their Kroger/US Bank cards to activate? I bought mine Friday, and was definitely expecting it to be active by today. Thankfully I'm not hurting because of this, but I'd rather have the money in hand sooner than later.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
2) I will record some note on the GC that tells me which one goes with which. Some GCs have the same numbers, some not. I will look, and make notes accordingly. For example, if the package ends in like 5467 and the gc has nothing like that on it, I will write 5467 in a sharpie on the back so I know. OR I will number the GCs and the packages accordingly.
The number on the receipt will most likely match up with the number that's visible before/when the card is purchased - the bar code that's scannable on the back of the card, for example. They're not going to put the last 4 digits of the actual card number on the receipt, but all cards (GCs, VRs, etc.) have some type of identifying number on them that can be seen without actually removing the card from the packaging. That's almost certainly the one you're looking for.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:45 pm

When this happened to me, they asked me to send in all receipts that may have been associated with the card.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS Gold
Contact with mygiftcardsite support

I have two $500 cards in this stupid limbo.

I finally stayed on hold long enough for my call to be taken this morning. Usually I will only hold for ten minutes. The CSR said there were lots of people affected and she gave me the list of things to fax in. "They will look into it in seven to ten days," but she could not tell me how long after that I could expect them to activate the cards.

Her supervisor said gosh, they sure are sorry, but they can't help, and fax is the only way they will accept our communication.

I suggested they have an obligation to post on their website that their sales data was compromised (in this case, lost) along with directions on how to be made whole.

The issuer does not seem inclined to be proactive with this issue. I guess there are some buyers who won't follow through and will never use the money they deposited in these cards.

Last edited by DeJar; May 12, 2014 at 1:40 pm Reason: adding a thought
Old May 12, 2014, 6:01 pm

Can someone explain to me what they could possibly be looking for on the packaging?

I've gone over the USBank Kroger VGC packaging thoroughly, and if there is some difference between the front/back for two different VGCs I am unable to spot it.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:02 pm

Everyone with stuck cards, read this.

I bought two $500 cards Sunday that had been in limbo. I had read the thread about calling in and getting the information faxed, but didn't want to deal with that hassle if I could avoid it.

I went to the Kroger where I bought them and explained the situation at the customer service desk. They tried the number that others had tried previously and got the same deal about faxing in the information (including the packaging).

The manager thought that was ridiculous, so he called in a Kroger specific gift card line. They asked to see the credit card I bought the GC with to verify the last four digits, and somehow resent the activation signal.

I immediately dialed the number to check the balance on both and sure enough they worked right away. It's worth a shot if you don't want to go through the hassle of having your money tied up for a week and faxing that info in.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by fungusamungus
Everyone with stuck cards, read this.

I bought two $500 cards Sunday that had been in limbo. I had read the thread about calling in and getting the information faxed, but didn't want to deal with that hassle if I could avoid it.

I went to the Kroger where I bought them and explained the situation at the customer service desk. They tried the number that others had tried previously and got the same deal about faxing in the information (including the packaging).

The manager thought that was ridiculous, so he called in a Kroger specific gift card line. They asked to see the credit card I bought the GC with to verify the last four digits, and somehow resent the activation signal.

I immediately dialed the number to check the balance on both and sure enough they worked right away. It's worth a shot if you don't want to go through the hassle of having your money tied up for a week and faxing that info in.
Thanks! After reading this I called the Kroger gift card line directly and got it taken care of. For all those with similar issue, plz call 866 544 8062 and talk to Kroger, they will activate the cards for you
Old May 12, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Thanks! After reading this I called the Kroger gift card line directly and got it taken care of. For all those with similar issue, plz call 866 544 8062 and talk to Kroger, they will activate the cards for you
Now Kroger is going to get hundreds of calls. I wish US Bank would get their act together. What we don't want is for Kroger to pull the cards from their shelves. I enjoy my points at grocery stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.