Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Let me post the steps on how to use the "tricky" master cards to load blue bird

Search key words - MasterCard Master Card MC

1. Give your blue bird and ask cashier to load $200 (or whatever the MC value is)
2. Once the cashier enters the amount, the system (CC Swipe Machine or Pin Pad Machine) will ask for your confirmation on the amount. Confirm that.
3. Now swipe your Master Card
4. Before the cashier makes the move, you have to press the "cancel" button on the display screen. That's the trick. You will have just a second or two to react. So, be ready to press "cancel" as soon as you swipe your mastercard gift card.
5. Now it will show you the option to choose "Debit" and the system will run it as a debit and will immediately prompt you to enter the pin.
6. Key in the PIN you would have set for your MC (I always call and set the pin number in advance) and press "Enter" or "Ok" on keypad
7. Transaction will be approved

I have tested this with US Bank issued MC gift cards bought from Kroger or Staples. I assume the steps (3 to 7) will be same for buying a money order too walmart. Personally, I have not tried to buy a MO with a MC.

Hope this helps someone !!
This is super helpful! I wished I had seen it before today. I had a Staples MC that I wanted to add to my Bluebird - it went into credit and then froze up the register and required a supervisor to cancel it out. Yikes. I didn't bothered with it after that. I can still spend it pretty easily. But hopefully, it will help someone else out. Thanks for writing up the steps.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Let me post the steps on how to use the "tricky" master cards to load blue bird

Search key words - MasterCard Master Card MC

1. Give your blue bird and ask cashier to load $200 (or whatever the MC value is)
2. Once the cashier enters the amount, the system (CC Swipe Machine or Pin Pad Machine) will ask for your confirmation on the amount. Confirm that.
3. Now swipe your Master Card
4. Before the cashier makes the move, you have to press the "cancel" button on the display screen. That's the trick. You will have just a second or two to react. So, be ready to press "cancel" as soon as you swipe your mastercard gift card.
5. Now it will show you the option to choose "Debit" and the system will run it as a debit and will immediately prompt you to enter the pin.
6. Key in the PIN you would have set for your MC (I always call and set the pin number in advance) and press "Enter" or "Ok" on keypad
7. Transaction will be approved

I have tested this with US Bank issued MC gift cards bought from Kroger or Staples. I assume the steps (3 to 7) will be same for buying a money order too walmart. Personally, I have not tried to buy a MO with a MC.

Hope this helps someone !!
I've tried the "cancel" route within milliseconds of swiping on the newer terminals and no luck. Had a cashier who I know well let me try half a dozen various ways. I knew the problem going in, so told her to let me experiment. But no luck no matter what I tried.

One of my WM's has the old terminals and I wonder if that's where you are able to have success? The older terminals have the cancel button on the lower left/newer terminals lower right. I was using the newer terminal.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by farwest101
I've tried the "cancel" route within milliseconds of swiping on the newer terminals and no luck. Had a cashier who I know well let me try half a dozen various ways. I knew the problem going in, so told her to let me experiment. But no luck no matter what I tried.

One of my WM's has the old terminals and I wonder if that's where you are able to have success? The older terminals have the cancel button on the lower left/newer terminals lower right. I was using the newer terminal.
Lower right in my experience...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:51 pm

At my Walmart, its not cancel, but change payment, which pops up at the exact same time. You need to be quick. Once you hit change payment, then all the options like debit, credit, etc., come up.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rambro
At my Walmart, its not cancel, but change payment, which pops up at the exact same time. You need to be quick. Once you hit change payment, then all the options like debit, credit, etc., come up.
Today I tried cancel and "Change Payment" multiple times with a CS agent that now recognizes me. No matter what I did nor how fast I hit the buttons, the machines very quickly spit out the denial. Never even got a chance to enter the PIN. Once I did actually see the alternate payment screen pop up (where you would hit debit), but it quickly flashed away and gave the denial print out. I have gotten MC's to work for BB loads before at this very counter, so it wasn't a POS variation as far as I can tell. But as I said before, kiosk worked perfectly.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:05 am

I wonder what happens if you hit cancel or change payment before even swiping the MC GC.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Nothing comes up at all at mine
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I wonder what happens if you hit cancel or change payment before even swiping the MC GC.
I don't think there is a cancel option before swipe. There is YES or NO confirmation before swipe.. And if at all there is a cancel before swipe, then it would rather cancel the whole transaction (just my guess)..
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:35 pm

My walmart has the LCD screen at the customer service station for loading Bluebird. I followed the steps above, EXCEPT instead of hitting cancel right after swiping my card, I hit Change Payment and switched it to debit. This worked for 2 cards for me.

Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Today I tried cancel and "Change Payment" multiple times with a CS agent that now recognizes me. No matter what I did nor how fast I hit the buttons, the machines very quickly spit out the denial. Never even got a chance to enter the PIN. Once I did actually see the alternate payment screen pop up (where you would hit debit), but it quickly flashed away and gave the denial print out. I have gotten MC's to work for BB loads before at this very counter, so it wasn't a POS variation as far as I can tell. But as I said before, kiosk worked perfectly.
This happens if they include the money order fee in the debit withdraw total. So, lets say you're using 2x $500 cards for a $1000 money order. The total will be $1000.70. If you tell them one debit card has $500, then you'll obviously have $500.70 left. Sometimes, the clerks forget to punch in $500 as opposed to just hitting total and charging the debit card $500.70. When that happens, it'll reject it because you're trying to take more than the card has. Sounds idiotic, I know, but its happened to me several times when I wasn't keeping an eye on what the cashiers were doing.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
This happens if they include the money order fee in the debit withdraw total. So, lets say you're using 2x $500 cards for a $1000 money order. The total will be $1000.70. If you tell them one debit card has $500, then you'll obviously have $500.70 left. Sometimes, the clerks forget to punch in $500 as opposed to just hitting total and charging the debit card $500.70. When that happens, it'll reject it because you're trying to take more than the card has. Sounds idiotic, I know, but its happened to me several times when I wasn't keeping an eye on what the cashiers were doing.
Nope, wasn't that. I was doing a BB load and the CS agent I was working with was very competent and knew how to do a proper split transaction.

When I get my MO's, I usually split to 2x500 cards and pay the 70 cents in cash so I don't end up with the 999.30 MO.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:38 am

This is off the current topic, but a data point for GC users. I bought 2 $500 Vanilla Visa's from Walgreens a couple of weeks ago and for whatever reason, they were never activated properly. I had to fax in a copy of the receipt and front/back of the GCs to Incomm. A week later they were working fine.

Just a lesson to make sure you keep your receipts! I was pretty impressed by the customer service of Incomm as well. I'm so glad this happened with GCs and not MoneyPaks.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cashback
This is off the current topic, but a data point for GC users. I bought 2 $500 Vanilla Visa's from Walgreens a couple of weeks ago and for whatever reason, they were never activated properly. I had to fax in a copy of the receipt and front/back of the GCs to Incomm. A week later they were working fine.

Just a lesson to make sure you keep your receipts! I was pretty impressed by the customer service of Incomm as well. I'm so glad this happened with GCs and not MoneyPaks.
I better start keeping receipts. I've kept the cards, but not the receipts.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by cashback

Forget the receipts. How the hell did you get a Walgreens to sell you a card on credit???
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Forget the receipts. How the hell did you get a Walgreens to sell you a card on credit???
Walgreens do sell visa GC's on credit. VR's are cash-only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.