Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte
There's a thread about this on Fatwallet.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1290841/
Yea I remember reading that thread. I try to be cautious when selecting a gift card but seems like it's extremely difficult to tell if its been tampered. I feel bad for those families that buy it with cash and have to manage waiting for their refund.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:20 pm

This is one reason I use ten packs still sealed in plastic directly from the Blackhawk guy. Work your connections.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:01 pm

Just had a troubling encounter at my local wallyworld....tried to buy my standard 999.30 money order and the transaction errored out. It said debit not available. It was one of the newer POS ingenico systems. The cashier hit the debit button on the touchscreen though, not sure if that was the issue? I then went to my grocery store and bought the MOs there no problem (so I am sure it wasn't a Vanilla Visa issue). Anyone else encounter this?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:14 am

cashier
error
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Had a OneVanilla that wasn't properly activated today. Took a 30 minute call (though most of this 30 minutes was spent on hold so NBD) to get it properly activated.

Also, I've read through about 80% of the thread trying to find an answer for this question. Does the 1 hour rule for VGCs apply to OneVanilla cards as well? I've been playing it safe and waiting an hour, but was wondering if anybody here knew for sure.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by NewNole2001
Had a OneVanilla that wasn't properly activated today. Took a 30 minute call (though most of this 30 minutes was spent on hold so NBD) to get it properly activated.

Also, I've read through about 80% of the thread trying to find an answer for this question. Does the 1 hour rule for VGCs apply to OneVanilla cards as well? I've been playing it safe and waiting an hour, but was wondering if anybody here knew for sure.
Usually it is loaded instantly, but can take up to 24 hours. This applies to all GCs.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
Usually it is loaded instantly, but can take up to 24 hours. This applies to all GCs.
Actually, I was asking about this from the wiki post
For Vanilla Visa, wait an hour after you purchase to use the card. Otherwise, you will get a redemption error.
Do OneVanillas require the same waiting period for pin transactions?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is from the same issuer as Vanilla Visa, so what do you think?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Happy
It is from the same issuer as Vanilla Visa, so what do you think?
Can no one in this forum just answer a question without being a smartass? I thought we came to this forum to help each other.

A simple "yes" would have sufficed and also been more useful to the people you forum vets constantly yell at to read the thread.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:43 am

Idk who wrote that in the wiki, but its not very accurate. I stand by my above comment.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:45 am

Idk who wrote that in the wiki, but its not very accurate. I stand by my above comment.
Thanks. I'll try it this afternoon.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:55 am

I had an activation issue last week I'm still waiting to resolve. I purchased a Vanilla Visa GC at a local grocery store. When the cashier began checking me out, she scanned the card without realizing it was a gift card, and then panicked when she wasn't sure what to do. She voided the transaction and started over. She re-rang up the items, including the gift card, and everything appeared to be fine. The receipt printed with the gift card showing as being activated. I immediately stopped by WM to liquidate to BB, but the card gave the error of "payment method not authorized". I tried several times to run the card, but each time, it came back with the same error.

I tried calling the number on the back of the card while in the store, but only got errors when I entered the card number. When I got home, I tried the website to check the balance and got a "system error". I called again and got a CSR who said the card was not property activated, that I would need to submit scans of the receipt, the packaging, both sides of the card, and my ID. I'm still waiting for resolution, but they said it would take 3-5 business days.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by sandersx2

I tried calling the number on the back of the card while in the store, but only got errors when I entered the card number. When I got home, I tried the website to check the balance and got a "system error". I called again and got a CSR who said the card was not property activated, that I would need to submit scans of the receipt, the packaging, both sides of the card, and my ID. I'm still waiting for resolution, but they said it would take 3-5 business days.
Yep. This is the standard for dud GCs. I've had good experiences with Incomm CS the couple times I had to use them.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:13 am

Yep. This is the standard for dud GCs. I've had good experiences with Incomm CS the couple times I had to use them.
Same here. The Incomm CSR that helped me yesterday was more friendly and helpful than 99% of CSRs I've ever worked with on the phone. She kept checking in with me every three minutes or so to let me know she hadn't forgotten about me and was still working on fixing the issue.

I had the phone on speaker while I worked so I didn't mind the 30 minutes it took to resolve my issue.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by sandersx2
When this happened yesterday, I verified the information, including purchase time and the information was accepted without me having to send in the scans, though I offered to do so.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.