Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mileschlinger
is it possible to purchase mo with pp debit cards?

dont really want to do the 400$ per day atm thing.

any other suggestions would be helpful

thanks
Check out the bluebird thread and the wiki on the top of this thread.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:01 am

Has anybody had trouble using WM BB and Mo from Vanilla Gift Cards. I bought them from WM for $200 + $6.88 fee and they don't seem to work...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Kalun47
Has anybody had trouble using WM BB and Mo from Vanilla Gift Cards. I bought them from WM for $200 + $6.88 fee and they don't seem to work...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-visa-gc.html
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kalun47
I had the same problem today. The $500 ones work fine, even the $100 GC I got from WM worked, but the $200 get declined for MO purchases at grocery store.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Has anyone had problems with the MC Variable Load card with the Kiosks? I know about the Cancel trick at the register, but I have never tried a MC before. They would be the US Bank ones and not the celebrate version.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Has anyone had problems with the MC Variable Load card with the Kiosks? I know about the Cancel trick at the register, but I have never tried a MC before. They would be the US Bank ones and not the celebrate version.
Have you set pin already by calling?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Have you set pin already by calling?
No, I am going to try today for the first time, I just wanted to see if I should waste my time on the Kiosk or if I had to go to a Cashier.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:38 am

The $200 MCs I got from Staples (U.S. bank issues) were not working yesterday. Tried a few different registers and the money center. They kept running through as credit.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:40 am
Suspended

my bad I get the VGCs not the MCGCs

Last edited by craz; Nov 7, 2013 at 11:58 am
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Are folks having problems with the Vanilla Visas or the One Vanilla cards? Or is it both?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
The $200 MCs I got from Staples (U.S. bank issues) were not working yesterday. Tried a few different registers and the money center. They kept running through as credit.
Same results with me.... Worked on the kiosk just fine... Have you tried that?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
Originally Posted by ftdima
MC bought at local grocery store last night worked just fine at MC. Just hit the "Change Payment Type" button and hit debit. Easy
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Are folks having problems with the Vanilla Visas or the One Vanilla cards? Or is it both?
One Vanillas have been working like a champ for me.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ftdima
Doesn't work in my case. Not at cash registers, not at the MC, not at the kiosk.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:56 am

I went to Walmart today to load my BB with a Metabank Visa GC.

I thought all you had to do was punch in the last 4 digit but it did not work.

It gave me an error stating payment alternate something.

So i called the number on the back and then set up the pin number.

I tried using it again for loading my BB but it gave me again error stating payment alternate something.

I called the number on the back and the money was missing. I spoke to a representative and she said it will reappear in 10 days.

1- is this true that it will come back on and
2- will it take 10 days to reappear?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.