Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
What browser are you using?
I just noticed, one of my laptop remembers on FF while the other on Safari doesn't !
Both Chrome and Safari doesn't save.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by gumbotime
Is this at more than one store? Do they have a sign saying they're behind the counter, or do you just have to ask? I haven't seen any at any of the stores near me for several weeks now (which can't be far from the store(s) you're talking about), and have just assumed I need to wait for them to be restocked, but now I'm wondering if they might have been moved behind the counter with no notice.
FWIW, the ones in NoVa that I have seen are mostly "at" the counter, meaning on a display rack right next to the cash register. I have also seen one store with the display right behind the cash register (next to the cigarettes). When I go into CVS now, I walk very slowly by the check-out counter to see if I can see anything.

I have asked at a couple of stores where I saw nothing and they simply said out of stock. None of mine are actually putting them out-of-site behind the counter, but some stores may.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hawkandhoo
If you are funding BB solely via CC purchases, whether VR or GCs, then I agree it doesn't really matter what bills you pay with the money in your BB account -- you won't earn more miles or points choosing situation 2 over situation 1. However, you're forgetting about situation 3 -- where you can load BB and earn miles, but without incurring any CC debt. If you choose to go that route, you are expanding your mileage earning opportunities by paying bills like your mortgage, car payment, etc. with BB. And better yet, you're not stuck with a $5,000 CC bill to pay at the end of the month.
How do you fund BB and earn miles without using a credit card in the process?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:17 pm
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
Cool

Originally Posted by cashback
I've hesitated to butt in on this lovely debate you're having, but both of you are missing a key part of the analysis. If you are funding BB solely via CC purchases, whether VR or GCs, then I agree it doesn't really matter what bills you pay with the money in your BB account -- you won't earn more miles or points choosing situation 2 over situation 1. However, you're forgetting about situation 3 -- where you can load BB and earn miles, but without incurring any CC debt. If you choose to go that route, you are expanding your mileage earning opportunities by paying bills like your mortgage, car payment, etc. with BB. And better yet, you're not stuck with a $5,000 CC bill to pay at the end of the month.
Its still the exact thing I have been saying. The points are earned when you fund the account, not when you unload it. It is irrelevant how you unload it, like I keep saying.

For you're situation, you dont fund it with VR's. Whatever the number is, lets go with 3K. When you put that 3K into the account, youve earned the miles. Whether you pay your mortgage with it, or transfer it to your bank account, it doesnt matter.
???

Earning points happens when you use your points earning CC to buy VRs and load those to BB. BB can also be loaded by cash@WM, check by app or mail, direct deposit, debit card directly, tax refund, or reload pack purchased any way but points earning CC. You could churn $100,000 a year using any of those methods and not earn a single point/mile/penny for it.

Though our behavior is a perfect combination of those three steps, one has to wonder which step exactly would the Cardinals or CVS find hateful?
  1. CVS must be getting their interchange fee reduced or comped by InComm, otherwise they would disallow CCs for VR purchases. InComm certainly welcomes the business and distributes through that retail channel deliberately. CVS enjoys the foot traffic.
  2. AMEX (BB) allows and loves having VRs loaded to BB, and most importantly has no access whatsoever to any transaction records of CVS or InComm to know how a particular VR was purchased. They have partnered with InComm deliberately and welcome the business.
  3. As far as spending out, why should AMEX (BB) even care about this? While all banking operations carry some cost to the bank (ACH transactions, mailed paper checks for bill pay, etc.), AMEX's fee structure is deliberate on their part and they don't care how you get the money out of BB. Why would they bother rooting around to try to find out where your loads are coming from and where the money is going? I see no reason for them to care any more than any other bank.
  4. The only realistic worry is the CC issuer, which tends to be more diligent about looking at how and where you shop. While it's unlikely the other parts of the chain will break, AMEX (CC) in particular is likely to pitch a fit over too much VR. This is not because they don't allow you to buy such things but because they perceive it as a cash advance = high-risk customer. Don't look high-risk in other ways and you should be fine here too.
This discussion should really be moved to How to avoid BlueBird shutdowns.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Will a Bluebird card help a college student build credit?

Or does debit card history have no effect on one's credit rating?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

It will not help build credit. Has no effect on one's credit rating.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Why does that matter? I automatically have my CC bill paid in full every month on the due date without lifting a finger and I never incur any interest charges. In the meantime, I can use that money for anything I see fit. So I'm not "stuck" with anything at the end of the month.

You were arguing back and forth with some others about the "best" way to spend $$$ that have been loaded to a BB account using CCs -- and it was rather silly, because, as your counterparts were pointing out, it doesn't matter from a points/miles perspective whether you spend the $5,000 in your BB account on (1) your mortgage, car, etc. or (2) the $5,000 credit card bill that you have as a result of buying VRs/GCs. In that scenario, both sides of that argument were going to be left with a bill that they were going to have to pay with non-BB funds. I was simply saying that all of you were ignoring a method for earning miles that could be used to fund BB -- which in turn could be used to pay your mortgage, car, etc. -- and, under that method, you wouldn't be "stuck" with a CC bill because there would be NO CC bill to pay.

Last edited by hawkandhoo; Jun 6, 2013 at 8:41 pm
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
How do you fund BB and earn miles without using a credit card in the process?

Debit card.

To be clear, I do buy VRs to earn SPG points and Chase GCs to earn UR -- I was just pointing out that there is another option that doesn't force you to choose between mortgage/car and CC bill when deciding how to use the money in your BB account.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Debit card.
Please provide an example of a debit card that earns a significant number of miles. Have I been missing something?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:04 am

Please provide an example of a debit card that earns a significant number of miles. Have I been missing something?
I think he refers Chase GC a Debit card.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:19 am

SunTrust Debit card?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by nsx

My answer is, indirectly, yes. Although the history isn't reported, it teaches young people the right habits so they can make good credit decisions later. The best way to teach them, imo, would be a secured card.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
SunTrust Debit card?
And there's no fee if you go to Walmart to load your BB account, unlike when buying VRs. The only down side is you earn Skypesos, which tend to be worth less than miles in other airline FF programs, mainly due to the scarcity of low-mile redemption choices on DL.

But things are looking up. I recently booked a R/T Business Elite award ticket to Australia in February 2014 almost entirely on DL (one transcon segment was on AS) for 150K miles. That was practically impossible to do a year ago, unless you flew on a partner airline (like KE).
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:16 am

I actually think there is a debit card out there that earns miles. I forget which one. I'm sure someone here will shed a light.

ETA: NM, i didn't update the thread and someone already answered it...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:02 pm

Can anyone fill me in on how best to maximize the Delta SkyMiles World Check Card?

How does Suntrust treat us churners?
Anyone ever try using WM BP to pay a debit card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.