Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
3 more beans, just like clockwork in the Midwest (not Chicago). Still think this is regional...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:00 pm

My store manager is an extremely sharp older Russian lady that was probably a surgeon back in the old country. She gave me a copy of the memo w/ product numbers, and said that the new policy starts April 2 in our area. She also said that the registers would be programmed to deny CC use, such her people really didn't have to be re-trained.

Good thing I had some VRs stashed behind the Bob Evans cards ...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Debit card fees are MUCH lower... like 20 cents a transaction compared to 2%
this is accurate, 21 cents plus 0.05% for major debit cards

Last edited by Alcibiades; Apr 1, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
3 more beans, just like clockwork in the Midwest (not Chicago). Still think this is regional...
Regional was a good guess until we got the updated memo. Now it's pretty clear that the only thing that's regional is the rollout date.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold, UA Silver
Still working in Suburban Charlotte, NC....Just got 5k more
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Gary from View from the Wing supposedly has a CVS employee who commented on his blog entry that he has the memo on his desk confirming 4/4 all stores will be cash only.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:04 pm

Does anyone know if this change impacts vanilla gift cards or mvd cards??
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4
I am certain that there are people on here who know more than he does about prepaid cards... by FAR
Well, possibly only from one side. Not sure any MS person would be great at running the business profitably
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:07 pm

So far VGCs are safe. Not one report on this thread about them going under too, which is great! My Wally World is right on the way home from my CVS. Even if it's not regional, as long as the VGCs stay the same, it's totally game on!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Got $5K in VRs from my favorite Atlanta location today. The manager, who I know pretty well, knew nothing about any potential move to cash only.

Boston MA: Bought some Vanilla variables ($20-$500, 4.95 fee) today with a credit card, as usual.

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
So you work in the industry to come up with this number? Also its 20 cents per transaction regardless of the amount? I don't buy that. Doesn't matter if debit card fees are much lower. That is still a fee. We know that CVS already does not pay the often misquoted 1.9 - 2.9% processing fees on CC but yet they opted to get rid of it anyway. It won't matter how low the fees are because due to the sheer volume of MSers buying the lion share of reloadable cards all over the US. Even if it was 0.20% to 0.40% for debit card it all adds up. If it was just that cheap regardless of transaction amount, then give me a reason why CVS wouldn't do it?
The point is the memo states that the reason is increased card swipe fees. If the VR at CVS was previously profitiable, breakeven, slight loss, whatever, with a CC before the increase, clearly its now considered enough of a loss with the increase that its not worth doing anymore (per memo statment), however, there is no way that paying with a VR with a CC BEFORE the increase was in anyway shape or form cheaper than a debit card transaction, and i highly doubt debit card transactions have risen to the level OVER what the fees for paying with a CC used to be, so if VRs were being nixed on the sole reason of increased fees, and they still desired selling them, debit cards would still provide enough of a margin for them to keep them. But they arent allowing debit card purchases either, its cash only. So the increase in fees is clearly not the main reason for disallowing purchase, its just being used as the reason.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by silver6054
Well, possibly only from one side. Not sure any MS person would be great at running the business profitably
profitability??? What's that?? . 5% cash back!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, AA, Marriott
Denied in Houston at Westheimer @ Voss. Manager working the register said cash only on VRs. Also tried Westheimer @ Yorktown but no cards in stock.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by UserMark
Boston MA: Bought some Vanilla variables ($20-$500, 4.95 fee) today with a credit card, as usual.
You see, that's outstanding news! With VGCs still in play, the game is still on big time. It's a dollar more, and a trip to WalMart. Still the best option out there for low hanging fruit, for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.