Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:05 am

Hit two CVS stores this morning. Tried to load Serve at first one: "pre-authorization declined. card cannot be sold." Same result at second store although interestingly enough, I bought a PP cash card with a CC right after the Serve failed. Seems strange that only the Serve is hard-coded while the PP cash card was not. If I remember correctly, the PP cash card was mentioned on the memo as well. I'm wondering if its more on the AMEX side since I maxed out my $5K load last month. Did the limit not reset properly since its the first of the month? For those of you who also got the pre-auth declined, was your Serve maxed out last month?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by LordStark1
A bit harsh dont you think?
Harsh but true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

It's a zero sum game. The more low hanging fruit out there, the more miles and points in circulation, the less awards for everyone.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
Really? You people want to map where the VRs are available for purchase with CCs after all this? That creates nothing more than competitions. Not only that, as the post above mentioned, stealing from stores, etc., etc. This is as stupid as the CVS manager who let a customer take a pic of the internal memo. You are pretty much asking for troubles at your CVS.
You people? What do you mean "YOU people"??
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Those of you newly getting blocked on VR purchases, are you still able to purchase OneVanilla Visa? Reports yesterday and Sun night were positive for this at least.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by crapz1
Hit two CVS stores this morning. Tried to load Serve at first one: "pre-authorization declined. card cannot be sold." Same result at second store
Same for me. I tried two Serve cards and both got that error. It was after he swiped the Serve card, I didn't even have a chance to select a payment method. Went to another CVS in Northeastern PA and bought $5k VR no problem, but the cashier volunteered that these would be cash only starting tomorrow.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:19 am

Talking

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Those of you newly getting blocked on VR purchases, are you still able to purchase OneVanilla Visa? Reports yesterday and Sun night were positive for this at least.
Yes. I bought a $500 OV in CVS in Orlando this AM with no problem. Only $500 as a quick test. I want to verify the rest of my plan, MO, works as I hope. I dont have WM super close, so Im going to do a MO at Publix with it at lunch.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:28 am

I heard the CVS in Kansas where Darius and Emily shop is exempt from the rollout. 3M is also testing a new product called, "Peel-and-Stick Circles and Arrows" in stores after a successful trial on some blog.

Purchased another $999 in the south Chicago burbs.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DDF
Originally Posted by atxtravel
Harsh but true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

It's a zero sum game. The more low hanging fruit out there, the more miles and points in circulation, the less awards for everyone.
Fair point. Although I might argue that points and awards are certainly more renewable than say oil or coal and therefore the sustainability factor would still be greater. However, in context with the VR, your point is understood.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I hope you mean the other way around. What is the point of getting serve unless you have a place to get VR. BB can be loaded with GC. The $1K-1.5K you can load with CC on serve online is less headache than the $5K on BB but obviously way less per month.
i've gotta agree with yoshapman - it's starting to look like living in a walmart desert is even worse than living in a VR desert
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by dublin487
i've gotta agree with yoshapman - it's starting to look like living in a walmart desert is even worse than living in a VR desert
Yes! Those of us who have to pass 5 Walmarts to get to the closest CVS can now rejoice! Our time has finally come!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by scoder
VR is the lowest hanging fruit. Hopefully those reliant upon this will perish of starvation.
Stalin, is that you Stalin?

"Damn Kulaks, hoarding all the VRs"....

Last edited by Brugge; Apr 1, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Manager at one store in DFW told my father they are going cash only in the next day or two. Store manager at the next location told him they are officially going cash only starting tomorrow per company email.

He's not asking, they are giving up this info.

Runaway gravy train is about to officially pull the brakes!

Looks like there was a recent arrest involving over $500k of fraudulent VR purchases at CVS in NJ.

http://oceancity.patch.com/groups/po...-atlantic-city.

Originally Posted by LordStark1
Fair point. Although I might argue that points and awards are certainly more renewable than say oil or coal and therefore the sustainability factor would still be greater. However, in context with the VR, your point is understood.
I meant more in terms of the use of the manufactured points. While they're renewable, the availability is very limited and now many more people were chasing the same airplane seats or hotel rooms. I'm all for equal opportunity to succeed but there must be a barrier to entry otherwise the system is ruined for everyone.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
While I haven't tried VRs, I did get a $2k batch of GCs just fine this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.