Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ctbarron
It resets at midnight GMT. I'm not sure if they account for BST. In your case the exact time of the 8 pm purchase becomes important.
In that scenario I will try after 8 PM today...
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Went to three different CVS today, spoke with three manager, none knows about the supposed cash only thing. They said if the rule were to be implemented, they would have gotten emails about it.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by agp423
Went to three different CVS today, spoke with three manager, none knows about the supposed cash only thing. They said if the rule were to be implemented, they would have gotten emails about it.
I don't know whether to kiss you or stone you, so I say Thank you.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
For anyone who is posting this kind of information, please also post locations as well. This would be helpful in identifying if this is regional, or national.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: SQ
Well, this started to get way too much publicity and was too easy. It seems that no one really ever tried to be discreet about this and that includes blogs and individuals buying large amounts at once.

That being said, I don't think that we are the reason behind the change, especially since all of the cards are going to cash only.

This is not the end of MS, it is the end of MS for dummies
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:42 am

It's a happy weekend for those icecream hackers. They will find tons of activated icecreams ready for them to steal!!
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Miami305
For anyone who is posting this kind of information, please also post locations as well. This would be helpful in identifying if this is regional, or national.
Talked to 4 CSRs between two stores in RDU and none had heard about cash only. Granted not mgmt, so taken it fwiw.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:46 am

Can anyone confirm that the item # for VRs at CVS is 904509?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Can anyone confirm that the item # for VRs at CVS is 904509?
Few pages back. Several reports confirming this last night.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:50 am

Just bought and cashier went through motions as usual. She didn't say and I didn't ask.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by kasan08
It's a happy weekend for those icecream hackers. They will find tons of activated icecreams ready for them to steal!!
I was thinking just this as well. Holding on to an activate VR for 5 hours makes me nervous; imagine holding on to one for 2 days, or worse, a whole month!
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I should have warned you all.....
I jumped into the coins and a month later it ended.
I started VRs in early March.
It's my fault this happened.
That's usually my case. But fortunately for me not this time. It helped with my 4 US air cards. For once I came out ahead.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
For those who have spoken with management at your CVS location, please update the Wiki with what information you got.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:13 am

Personally, I believe this is a farce and anyone feeding it stating they have seen the memos at stores are just trolling. I may be proven wrong come Tuesday, but I'm holding out until then. I have nothing to lose by having faith and not letting it ruin the rest of my weekend. If I'm wrong, I'll apologize in advance to those I accuse, otherwise I hope that all feeding a lie like this are recognized and black listed.

While there is quite a bit of realism in the memo, there are also quite a few things that strike me as odd, not just about its composition, comparison to other CVS memos, but also in the details.

I think the biggest point to me is that Visa cards are not excluded (only MyVanilla VL is listed). While the standard Vanilla of course are not re-loadable cards, I believe that any possible risk/cost associated with selling the cards listed on the memo are true of the Visa cards as well.

As many have noted, if we can't buy VRs come 4/1, there are other methods - I can still go in and buy 5K worth of Visa cards. And yes, the Visa cards have an extra $1 margin on them - but I have a hard time believing that with processing $500 purchases that extra $1 makes much of a difference in overall strategy compared with their reloads.

Remember - this is meant to be a hard code in all registers - so as soon as the first person Tuesday morning purchases a single $500 card with credit, I will hold this myth busted.

I hope for all our sake's I'm right
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by BenH
Personally, I believe this is a farce and anyone feeding it stating they have seen the memos at stores are just trolling. I may be proven wrong come Tuesday, but I'm holding out until then. I have nothing to lose by having faith and not letting it ruin the rest of my weekend. If I'm wrong, I'll apologize in advance to those I accuse, otherwise I hope that all feeding a lie like this are recognized and black listed.
So if it is true, I assume it will be OK to blacklist you, for accusing others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.