Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by RedArrowX
If they've been cleared out do Tesco normally fill the empty space with a different gift card till more arrive? As there is never an empty space to suggest they did have them in stock.

Also am I looking in the correct place right, at the end of the aisle in the gift card section?
I've found both an empty space where they once were, and the space being filled up with other gift cards in the past.

Yep you're looking in the right place.

I was finding quite a lot around in May-June but none the last week or so in South London (10 or so supermarkets).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:04 am
used to be 'AndrewSJGrant'

Programs: Black
I live abroad, but when I was back home a couple of weeks ago there was loads in my local Homebase. You don't get the CC points but the MR points are nice.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:18 pm

I'm new to the UK and still figuring out how to play the game on this side of the pond. I have done a lot of reading, but I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.

A blogger (I know! but the blogs are useful for getting an overview) had a fairly recent post on AMEX gift cards. It seems like it might be worth it for me to test the waters with one of these. However - and this is the part that is likely to be a stupid question - I can't figure out how to buy one. The FAQ has instructions for activating cards that were bought online which implies that, well, they can be bought online. But I haven't been able to find a link.

Help, anyone?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
I'm new to the UK and still figuring out how to play the game on this side of the pond. I have done a lot of reading, but I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.

A blogger (I know! but the blogs are useful for getting an overview) had a fairly recent post on AMEX gift cards. It seems like it might be worth it for me to test the waters with one of these. However - and this is the part that is likely to be a stupid question - I can't figure out how to buy one. The FAQ has instructions for activating cards that were bought online which implies that, well, they can be bought online. But I haven't been able to find a link.

Help, anyone?
itchyfeet123, if you are referring to the £50 AMEX prepaid cards, these should be available at TESCO for example.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by peterdudas
itchyfeet123, if you are referring to the £50 AMEX prepaid cards, these should be available at TESCO for example.
The AMEX gc in Tesco carry a £3.95 fee (for the £50 ones). The ones that could be purchased online via AMEX were just face value IIRC?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by flashware
The AMEX gc in Tesco carry a £3.95 fee (for the £50 ones). The ones that could be purchased online via AMEX were just face value IIRC?
IIRC that was only for a limited time, as an introductory offer.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Correct. Occasionally they waive the fee and offer free postage. Transaction is treated as a purchase.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Originally Posted by Raffles
Correct. Occasionally they waive the fee and offer free postage. Transaction is treated as a purchase.
Indeed. As the OP mentioned he picked it up from a blog it would indicate that's what he is probably referring to.....
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Indeed. As the OP mentioned he picked it up from a blog it would indicate that's what he is probably referring to.....
My experience with the AMEX GC was that they were fairly difficult to get rid of - i tried buying an amazon GC with one and this was blocked.... what i had to do was find something i wanted at amazon, buy a GC for a certain amount and then use the AMEX gift card to make up the difference - clearing the balence on the GC this way...

I think i would stick with 3V Cards (buy 2 in tescos for the Tesco Gift Card points bonus) and then use these online.

SF
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:40 pm

The Royal Mint has £100 silver coins with free shipping. Throwback!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, BA, DL, UA, SAS
Originally Posted by Patrickthetiger
The Royal Mint has £100 silver coins with free shipping. Throwback!
Shame they don't take AMEX, that would have been a real winner.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by nitbix
Shame they don't take AMEX, that would have been a real winner.
They do for US customers...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:22 am

Trouble is, where are you going to spend a £100 coin?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anon6969
Trouble is, where are you going to spend a £100 coin?
Paying off a recently incurred credit card debt?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Just to throw in a word of caution about commemorative coins above £2, spending them isn't easy. Nowhere has to accept them. I got rid of mine by depositing them into a bank, but it wasn't an easy process and I'm not sure I'd bother again or recommend it! I did it to meet the signup bonus for a MBNA Virgin Atlantic Black CC - the Visa gives 1 point per mile and Virgin's redemption rates are fair for the time being.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.