FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

cdancer20 Jun 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 23017883)
At a guess, depositing one MO for every three checks (presumably by number rather than value), so the bank doesn't think you are only using them from MOs

Thanks

USFishin Jun 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 23011968)
I spread MO deposits around since banks are always closed after work hours and I generally don't deposit >3k into ATMs to avoid more funds being locked up if a hold gets placed (light ink, general suspicion, etc.).

Does anyone else feel comfortable with large MO deposits into ATMs like that? Any other day jobbers / working stiffs have a good MO for MOs?

I've been making large MO ATM deposits regularly approx twice a week for the past 10 months or so. I've never made any deposits in person, just at the ATM. I've never been questioned or had any issues and they're usually cleared within 24 hours. I've done a lot of reading on these forums and there seems to be no consensus, rhyme, or reason as to what triggers the banks and what they just look past and don't bother with.

MsArbi Jun 13, 2014 6:37 am

Deleted.

cdancer20 Jun 16, 2014 8:24 am

Originally Posted by MsArbi (Post 23027510)
Dollar amount. If I deposited $1k in MOs, I wrote out one check to myself for $3k and deposited a total of $4k. The intent was to maintain a certain level of dollar volume going through the account, not a ratio of the number of MOs vs checks.

Thanks for the explanation.

tuphat Jun 16, 2014 10:13 am

Originally Posted by MsArbi (Post 23027510)
Dollar amount. If I deposited $1k in MOs, I wrote out one check to myself for $3k and deposited a total of $4k. The intent was to maintain a certain level of dollar volume going through the account, not a ratio of the number of MOs vs checks.

Not to criticize, but:

In depositing checks from yourself in such volume, you probably elevated your account in the bank's anti- check kiting system. Ironic.

MsArbi Jun 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Deleted.

farwest101 Jun 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by MsArbi (Post 23043364)
If I got flagged for potential kiting, I certainly don't know about it, and nobody has asked me about the volume of checks. I've had no problems moving large sums with personal checks, though some banks initially called the check issuing bank to verify funds. Of course I always keep accounts funded to cover all outstanding checks.

Few risk people are going to bother asking you about your activities - they typically cut the cord if they don't like what they see. And yes, it's ironic your personal checks are likely adding to your risk profile, not lessening it.

AndrewTheMan Jul 24, 2014 6:53 pm

I got hit with this today at Publix. I gave the lady an inaccurate SSN (changed last four digits) and the address on my DL is very old. Hopefully my identity doesn't get stolen.

nnugnotsle Jul 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Oh, so publix sent your information to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network?

Happy Jul 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan (Post 23252534)
I got hit with this today at Publix. I gave the lady an inaccurate SSN (changed last four digits) and the address on my DL is very old. Hopefully my identity doesn't get stolen.

Where you are located? How much you purchased and did you go to the same store often?

About 10 days ago I was surprised by a Publix store that asked to see the debit card and the DL when just buying 2x $500. And this was the first time I even buy it from this store or first time in 5 months buying from any Publix to be more precisely. I flat out told the cashier the debit cards are prepaid and have no name on it. She went in to ask store manager but emerged after a long time to tell me manager OKed it as long as I gave the DL info and the prepaid debit card numbers. So it is more like loss prevention than anything to me.

My guess is after the demise of OVC at WM, there must be a surge of buying MOs at the grocery stores using split payments of multiple $500 cards. The volumes show on the store's if not daily, at least weekly report and the rising level caught store managers' eyes.

AndrewTheMan Jul 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by nnugnotsle (Post 23252571)
Oh, so publix sent your information to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network?

Supposedly. They asked for my occupation and made a big stink when I told them I flip houses. Apparently anything related to self employment is not allowed. I tried to make small talk with her about flipping in the area after she said she knew a few people in the business. Don't know if that did anything.

It looked official; they wrote down my address, DOB, occupation, SSN, DL #, asked for two forms of ID (I only gave one), and they stamped it with some Store Stamp. During this one my OV card declined so I reached into my CVS bag and opened another. The store manager and district manager (standing next to her) just smiled and made a comment about miles.

In the past I did about $25,000 at this store. Today I did 3k. Each $499.11 MO split into six transactions.

AndrewTheMan Jul 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 23252580)
Where you are located? How much you purchased and did you go to the same store often?

About 10 days ago I was surprised by a Publix store that asked to see the debit card and the DL when just buying 2x $500. And this was the first time I even buy it from this store or first time in 5 months buying from any Publix to be more precisely. I flat out told the cashier the debit cards are prepaid and have no name on it. She went in to ask store manager but emerged after a long time to tell me manager OKed it as long as I gave the DL info and the prepaid debit card numbers. So it is more like loss prevention than anything to me.

My guess is after the demise of OVC at WM, there must be a surge of buying MOs at the grocery stores using split payments of multiple $500 cards. The volumes show on the store's if not daily, at least weekly report and the rising level caught store managers' eyes.

I am in SW FL. Specifically Lehigh Acres/Fort Myers. Right on the border there. I do go often; sometimes doing 2k at a time several times a day. This time it slipped my mind and I did 3k.

Last week I was in a different Publix on the wealthy side of town (walking distance to my house) and upon seeing the front of my Staples $200 MGC the manager asked to see the card, ran to someone in the back, and came back saying a memo went out that those are credit cards and can't be used to buy MO. I left.

I did go to another publix (by a college) and the manager was OK with me doing just under 3k ($2,996.xx) and the associate next to her thought I was just prepaying my dorm rent. I just said "sure" and left.

Happy Jul 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan (Post 23252603)
Supposedly. They asked for my occupation and made a big stink when I told them I flip houses. Apparently anything related to self employment is not allowed. I tried to make small talk with her about flipping in the area after she said she knew a few people in the business. Don't know if that did anything.

It looked official; they wrote down my address, DOB, occupation, SSN, DL #, asked for two forms of ID (I only gave one), and they stamped it with some Store Stamp. During this one my OV card declined so I reached into my CVS bag and opened another. The store manager and district manager (standing next to her) just smiled and made a comment about miles.

In the past I did about $25,000 at this store. Today I did 3k. Each $499.11 MO split into five transactions.

The numbers did you in. $3K is the threshold requires reporting. The way you split it, can be viewed as structuring to avoid being reported. There are a few lengthy threads in this forum discussing such topics.

The frequency, and the fact you go there multiple times a day also eventually becomes a flag that the store could not ignore.

AndrewTheMan Jul 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 23252639)
The numbers did you in. $3K is the threshold requires reporting. The way you split it, can be viewed as structuring to avoid being reported. There are a few lengthy threads in this forum discussing such topics.

The frequency, and the fact you go there multiple times a day also eventually becomes a flag that the store could not ignore.

Structuring? I always thought SARs are only filed when transactions are cash. Anyhow I'll be back tomorrow. I just got 10k of AMEX cards in today.. The CVS OV limit is 5k per DL, right?

hamhead Jul 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan (Post 23252603)
so I reached into my CVS bag and opened another. The store manager and district manager (standing next to her) just smiled and made a comment about miles.

Seriously?

Is it that hard to be a little bit more discrete about what you're doing?