FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

PaulMSN May 7, 2014 10:23 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 22824979)
...That said, all the banks seem to be getting stricter on MS practices...

Why do you think this? The incidence of reported account closures or even inquiries has been pretty sparse, and I've seen no evidence of an upswing. Do you have further info?

For a data point, I've been averaging over $42,000/mo into my CU. Not a peep. I think where people run into trouble is with the banks that issue the credit cards and with sudden rises in activity in newer accounts.

Of course this is all guesswork, as is most of what is posted here.

iahphx May 7, 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22825326)
Why do you think this? The incidence of reported account closures or even inquiries has been pretty sparse, and I've seen no evidence of an upswing. Do you have further info?

For a data point, I've been averaging over $42,000/mo into my CU. Not a peep. I think where people run into trouble is with the banks that issue the credit cards and with sudden rises in activity in newer accounts.

We're definitely seeing more shutdowns if you read the MS threads. The most troubling activity is at Chase -- especially since that's the "bread and butter" bank for most of us. There are even several reports of folks being asked about their prior MS activity when they call the reconsideration lines to get new credit cards. That's pretty weird, no?

None of this is particularly surprising. Our actions costs the banks money. As the hobby becomes more popular (largely due to the blogs), we cost the banks more money. They notice, and take counter-measures. It's certainly what you and I would do if we were running these banks. I do fear that this game will get harder in the next year or two.

TheDapperDon May 7, 2014 11:41 am

This thread supports my desire to feed 3 birds and possibly a 4th. I use MOs as a secondary method for MS so I can avoid bank scrutiny.

Alcibiades May 7, 2014 11:42 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 22825813)
There are even several reports of folks being asked about their prior MS activity when they call the reconsideration lines

Yeah, only by Chase. AARP really chaffed their hide.

3ZeroT May 7, 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 22825326)

I tend to agree - if anything, as banks become more aware of legal MS activity it may be less likely to get binned as other illegal activity. That doesn't mean they are less likely to shut it down but we already know they have a strong motivation to shutdown the latter. [Edit this applies to deposit accounts as in this thread - CC accounts on the other hand is a different story I agree]

cdancer20 May 7, 2014 11:48 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 22825872)
This thread supports my desire to feed 3 birds and possibly a 4th. I use MOs as a secondary method for MS so I can avoid bank scrutiny.

Same here. That's why I have moved to BillPay. The process/time at WM sucks compared to MO and it costs more (for me) but it helps to cut down on adding too many MOs to my accts.

silver6054 May 7, 2014 11:48 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 22825872)

And this may be getting harder as well, depending on your local WM!

TheDapperDon May 7, 2014 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 22825921)
And this may be getting harder as well, depending on your local WM!

I stay under the radar. I visit different registers at different WMs. Loading 4 BBs at one register doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure it does for others. 1k per register is my limit.

USFishin May 7, 2014 12:23 pm

Here's another way to look at it... If you're a bank and you have a customer that has a mortgage, checking account, savings account, and credit card with you, why would you give scrutiny to that customer when they're doing so much business with you and you're making so much money off of their accounts? If a bank has your mortgage, making $100's of dollars a month in interest on you, why would they close your account because you're depositing MOs?

As far as the ease of purchasing MOs at WM, it all depends on your store and the CSRs you deal with. I have a several I deal with on a regular basis that know what I'm up to. They're almost rooting for me. I just walk up and they ask me how many $1K MOs I want this time.

silver6054 May 7, 2014 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 22826026)
I stay under the radar. I visit different registers at different WMs. Loading 4 BBs at one register doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure it does for others. 1k per register is my limit.

More some Walmarts rejecting cards that aren't "real", i.e. have your name on

MsArbi May 7, 2014 12:36 pm

Deleted.

MsArbi May 7, 2014 12:44 pm

Deleted.

tuphat May 8, 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by MsArbi (Post 22826259)
I've said this before, I think it's unwise to do large volume of MOs with the large consumer banks. They will opt to sever the banking relationship with the customer rather than to do any due diligence on unusual activities.

And I've said this before: Why does the anti-MO crowd care so passionately about what the pro-MO crowd does? Why bother with all the dire warnings, etc.?

MsArbi May 8, 2014 10:15 am

Deleted.

tuphat May 8, 2014 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by MsArbi (Post 22831626)
If you are suggesting that I am part of the anti-MO crowd, you would be very wrong.

:confused: Certainly fooled me, most of your posts in this area reflect an overbundance of wariness and caution.