Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:52 am

Found out my acct. was closed yesterday when I went to load it, looks like I got shutdown pretty much the instant my month was up. Statement shows a 7/12 end date (Friday) and I was trying to load on 7/13 (Saturday).

15k in loads, all GC's, all unloaded with BP via the app. I was going to hold at 5k but decided to go whole hog once I read about the shutdowns at 4k and under.

Any update from the user in the wiki listed as still open that primarily used ACH pulls? I'm thinking of getting a card for my wife and trying to stay under the radar.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what I'm doing to stay under the radar, but my two accounts are still open.

I keep expecting a shutdown. I do some small swipes around town occasionally, but not much.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I don't know what I'm doing to stay under the radar, but my two accounts are still open.

I keep expecting a shutdown. I do some small swipes around town occasionally, but not much.
Can you tell us how much are you loading per month? What other activities are you doing with the account?

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:53 pm

I loaded 7.5k so far. ~20 days into my first statement cycle. Did three small purchases and unloaded all via BP.

I try to follow cashback's pattern, i.e., load and then billpay clean, load and then billpay clean. I never carry a balance over $1500.

I'll stop for now and wait to get my first statement to test the hypothesis. If I'm still alive then this hypothesis may be valid.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oracles4444
Can you tell us how much are you loading per month? What other activities are you doing with the account?

Thanks
I generally haven't let the balance go below $2k, but I did once.

In June I did about $6k total load per card.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Update 2: Wife's account now has the following message: "Please call our Member Care team at (888) 280-8260 to access your account." No new loads since July 3, and only one, small bill pay for about $200. Will have her call and try the just got the paycheck and the end of the month scenario.
Update 3: Log in now shows that the account is closed. GoBank closed the account before we could even call. Nice.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:45 am

Same here. I'm done with GD products.

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Update 3: Log in now shows that the account is closed. GoBank closed the account before we could even call. Nice.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
GD is the scum of the Earth. They must really rip people off.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by stainlesspoints
Found out my acct. was closed yesterday when I went to load it, looks like I got shutdown pretty much the instant my month was up. Statement shows a 7/12 end date (Friday) and I was trying to load on 7/13 (Saturday).

15k in loads, all GC's, all unloaded with BP via the app. I was going to hold at 5k but decided to go whole hog once I read about the shutdowns at 4k and under.

Any update from the user in the wiki listed as still open that primarily used ACH pulls? I'm thinking of getting a card for my wife and trying to stay under the radar.
Updated for July. Still open, scaled way back to $5k, 6 loads, and I ACH pull it out the day I load. That's my plan for the future as well.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I just opened an account and I tried to be nice with GoBank by depositing a rebate check for $10 and it took atleast 10 attempts for me to make the mobile app accept the check photo.. Got a mail a couple of later that the money will be available only by Jul 29.. Wow !! Really?? 2 weeks to clear a check? Is it because my account is new? Or thats how they do?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
I just opened an account and I tried to be nice with GoBank by depositing a rebate check for $10 and it took atleast 10 attempts for me to make the mobile app accept the check photo.. Got a mail a couple of later that the money will be available only by Jul 29.. Wow !! Really?? 2 weeks to clear a check? Is it because my account is new? Or thats how they do?
they definitely take their time.. similar thing happened with me.

Same thing with bill pay. Unlike most banks it's not always the next day for e-payments.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Yes its garbage. Go to a real bank if you want actual service. My bank (USAA) allows instant access to funds deposited by mobile check deposit.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kjgco
Please clarify. With what did you try to reload, and where?
I was attempting to load an MP via the regular website to my Go Bank Visa. Once I was told that it is a non-reload card, I punted and put it on a different product. I won't use MP unless desperate to generate spend. Not worth the $1 premium for the hassle.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cashback
Yes its garbage. Go to a real bank if you want actual service. My bank (USAA) allows instant access to funds deposited by mobile check deposit.
When I saw you posted in this thread, I thought you were going to say that you were shut down. Phew.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
When I saw you posted in this thread, I thought you were going to say that you were shut down. Phew.
Lol I have no idea how I have avoided it, but I'm still alive and just loaded today. *knocks on wood*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.