Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by BigWillyStyles
*Debit cards (such as the Suntrust) have a limit thru BB of $100/day and $1000/month. That means you'd have to make 10 trips a month to Wal Mart and you would only get 1,000 miles a month doing this. I mean for all intensive purposes you really have to be a true grinder and probably dont have much of a life if you want to go to Wal Mart 10x a month for 1,000 Delta miles, but that's just my opinion.
You pay the debit card load fee and have the $100 daily limit when you load Bluebird with a debit card ONLINE.

You do NOT have a debit card load fee and have a $1,000 daily limit and $5,000 maximum limit when you load Bluebird with a debit card at Wal-Mart.

Also, don't forget the ability to withdraw money into your bank account, just like Amazon payments.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:03 am
Suspended

Your 5K in purchases equate to:

25K Points in Ink/Bold cards that give you 5:1 (with a max of 250K/year due to the $50K cap)
30K Hilton Points/month from the AMEX Surpass (that gives you 6:1)
Unless I'm missing something, that Surpass 6:1 only plays out if you find a grocery store/gas station selling reloads
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Unless I'm missing something, that Surpass 6:1 only plays out if you find a grocery store/gas station selling reloads
And there is a $1500 limit now...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Has anyone tried buying Ice Cream with OD gift cards? I think there could be potential for more miles by purchasing OD gift cards via a shopping portal like MyPoints, which gives 4,000 points (redeemable at 2:1 ratio to UA) for a $400+ purchase at OD website.

$1000 in OD gift cards could add an additional 5,000 miles (4000 + 4000 + 2000 MyPoints for $400 + $400 + $200 OD purchases), if those OD gift cards could be redeemed for Ice Cream and churned through BB. I'm also not sure if OD online purchases qualify for 5x bonus, but just thought I'd throw this out there as a possibility....
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: DL, WoH
*You can then turn around and pay off your credit card using BB's bill pay. (The limit on bill pay per month on BB is 10K) So buying 5K of Ice Creams with your credit cards matches up with the limits of BB's bill pay, meaning you can cleanly wash your money using that cycle.
Are you serious? This is the easiest way to get shut down. Stop posting stuff that will easily kill this deal.

The best thing to do is pay bills like a mortgage that you normally can't use a credit card to pay for. Please don't kill this before it even takes flight.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by sunshine-state
Has anyone tried buying Ice Cream with OD gift cards? I think there could be potential for more miles by purchasing OD gift cards via a shopping portal like MyPoints, which gives 4,000 points (redeemable at 2:1 ratio to UA) for a $400+ purchase at OD website.

$1000 in OD gift cards could add an additional 5,000 miles (4000 + 4000 + 2000 MyPoints for $400 + $400 + $200 OD purchases), if those OD gift cards could be redeemed for Ice Cream and churned through BB. I'm also not sure if OD online purchases qualify for 5x bonus, but just thought I'd throw this out there as a possibility....
Register doesn't block it, but most employees will not accept GC for ice cream
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by leftpinky
And there is a $1500 limit now...
$1,500 limit on what?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:01 am

Your 5K in purchases equate to:

25K Points in Ink/Bold cards that give you 5:1 (with a max of 250K/year due to the $50K cap)
30K Hilton Points/month from the AMEX Surpass (that gives you 6:1)

So factored out over a year, your haul within the rules of BB's T&C's would be:

*250,000 Chase points OR
*360,000 HHonors points (plus you would also become or retain Hilton Diamond status since a perk of that card is Diamond if you spend 40K/yr on the card, in which you would meet that requirement)
How would you get 6x Hilton points with the AMEX HH Surpass? Are you talking about getting beans at a gas station and paying with credit card? There isn't too much documented success for that.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Are you serious? This is the easiest way to get shut down. Stop posting stuff that will easily kill this deal.

The best thing to do is pay bills like a mortgage that you normally can't use a credit card to pay for. Please don't kill this before it even takes flight.
I agree that it sounds inherently risky, but I'm wondering why everybody says that paying the CC bill with BB will get you shut down? AMEX won't know that you used the CC (presumably IB) to get the Vanillas, as they don't communicate with Chase; and Chase probably won't care where the funds are coming from.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I agree that it sounds inherently risky, but I'm wondering why everybody says that paying the CC bill with BB will get you shut down? AMEX won't know that you used the CC (presumably IB) to get the Vanillas, as they don't communicate with Chase; and Chase probably won't care where the funds are coming from.
While I agree with you, I do believe there is a danger to those who simply use this to funnel $ back to the source. Paying your CC bill is fine, but people, and there will be those who do this, load the card and then use all of those funds to pay off a CC bill, and who repeat this process month after month are going to raise a flag.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:25 am

While I agree with you, I do believe there is a danger to those who simply use this to funnel $ back to the source. Paying your CC bill is fine, but people, and there will be those who do this, load the card and then use all of those funds to pay off a CC bill, and who repeat this process month after month are going to raise a flag.
Fair enough. I think we still have to learn their (meaning AMEX/BB's) threshhold for spending practices before they raise an eyebrow. My goal is primarily to pay off my property taxes before they're due in December. Assuming my BB comes in today and I load 2-3K beans into it by then, how much "regular" spending do I have to do so that I'm not flagged?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
how much "regular" spending do I have to do so that I'm not flagged?
Someone is gonna have to find that out the hard way, like almost everything else ever done on here .
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by shadow2k
This sounds more like a summary of how to get thrown out of the game.
No worries...with the summaries here & on blogs, there will either be much stricter rules or no game (for some certainly) in no time.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Register doesn't block it, but most employees will not accept GC for ice cream
Ok good to know. Just an idea I thought about, as I know the OD bonus on MyPoints is really pretty good....thanks for the info!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:48 am

Right and the 10 bloggers who will be broadcasting this to the nation won't. If anyone shuts this down, it will be a place like MMS, who will be soon bragging about it and telling us how he and his wife used it to save $2.99 and got 2 free orange juices... FYI, my post wasn't a step by step how to, it was more of a general summary in which one can then go off and be creative on how to make it work for them using that info then twisting it up so it's not obvious. I somewhat value the brains of FT community posters and it's a given to me that the large majority of people on here are creative and smart enough because they don't want to raise red flags, so they won't.

And to each their own on whether they like long summaries or not. I personally don't like wading thru 22 or 440 pages of stuff. You always have the option of skipping over it and not reading it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.