Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by ddallas
By who and why?
Off-shore bank accounts, fiscal cliff, and now beans.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:50 am

Sorry if this has been answered before, but why do some posts say NOT to use any any type of Citi card when purchasing VR? Does Citi alone classify it as a cash advance?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by atanac
Office Depot is nothing more than a retailer for the Vanilla product. They do not own the program
so it doesn't make any sense that they would decide on their own to not offer it as a sale that
they make a profit on. I
It all depends on how you define "profit". Remember that the store has overhead costs (building, taxes, employees, lights, charge card fees etc) that are typically spread over all sales. When you assume those costs, there is no way that OD is getting a big enough discount on the cards to show a profit on their sale. I am sure that stores that carry gift cards are doing so as a convenience to the customers and not as a profit center. If selling gift cards was really profitable there would be stores opened just for that purpose.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Sorry if this has been answered before, but why do some posts say NOT to use any any type of Citi card when purchasing VR? Does Citi alone classify it as a cash advance?
I don't recall anyone saying that.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by deant
It all depends on how you define "profit". Remember that the store has overhead costs (building, taxes, employees, lights, charge card fees etc) that are typically spread over all sales. When you assume those costs, there is no way that OD is getting a big enough discount on the cards to show a profit on their sale. I am sure that stores that carry gift cards are doing so as a convenience to the customers and not as a profit center. If selling gift cards was really profitable there would be stores opened just for that purpose.
Profit is profit...why would OD pull any product they sell that makes even a small profit unless
it was illegal, unsafe, vulgar, spoiled, out of date etc. Vanilla cards are just a product to them,
albeit a small profit center but still why dump it? Unless whoever furnishes them to OD has
decided THEY want to restrict their sales.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:02 am

I called all my local OD in 1 hour drive. No one had them (not surprising) and two stores said they got a memo today saying they're not having them anymore.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by atanac
Profit is profit...why would OD pull any product they sell that makes even a small profit unless
it was illegal, unsafe, vulgar, spoiled, out of date etc. Vanilla cards are just a product to them,
albeit a small profit center but still why dump it? Unless whoever furnishes them to OD has
decided THEY want to restrict their sales.
Maybe make a quick call your local OD that had plenty of stock yesterday and ask them if they still have them on the shelf today? There have still been no reports that anyone has seen a card in an OD this morning.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:17 am

I just called a local OD, looks like the reports are true. The person answering the phone said that they're not carrying them anymore, and when I asked since when, she said they just received an email this morning. I called a couple stores yesterday morning to check their stock, and 1 store just received a shipment; when I checked after work, one of the workers said that someone bought 20 of them at once and cleared out their stock.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Maybe make a quick call your local OD that had plenty of stock yesterday and ask them if they still have them on the shelf today? There have still been no reports that anyone has seen a card in an OD this morning.
Yes, any reports of "My OD had stock" for any day before today are out of date at this point. The next closest OD is over 2 hours away so I won't be looking myself.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:22 am

Okay, I"m believing these reports now unless someone posts a picture of his wife holding a copy of today's newspaper standing in front of a rack of vanilla reload cards in an OD.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:31 am

Okay, I"m believing these reports now unless someone posts a picture of his wife holding a copy of today's newspaper standing in front of a rack of vanilla reload cards in an OD.
I'm sure MMS will be right on it^
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by crzn
I'm sure MMS will be right on it^
I'm on my way!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
I'm on my way!
Don't forget Emily !
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:01 am

I just got back from my local OD.

20 there yesterday.

0 there today.

The placeholders are there for them -- just no cards.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Just went to an OD where I had bought Vanillas before. Went for 2 x $500 (still plenty on the rack), cashier had to ask for manager, manager comes over and says "We got a memo about these to pull them off the shelves" and he had to walk over to get the memo. After he studied it for a bit, he said it was effective today but he said he thought it meant AFTER today so he let me buy the 2x $500. .I asked if he knew why, and he said "Well I'm not really sure how but some people have apparently been doing some sort of money transferring back and forth with these, I don't really know how but it's something about rewards and something"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.