Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:43 pm

deleted

Last edited by mizzou1; Nov 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:47 pm

Actually I have no problem with sliding my BB card as soon as I receive it, but I am not sure that it solves the issue in FD.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I agree with the notion of using Bluebird with a balanced approach (rather than loading it and withdrawing to ATM/checking account). Would simply loading with beans, then using to pay bills (CC, rent, elec -- all of which only take checks) be enough? I really don't care about using it as an Amex in my wallet ... the margin of extra points wears thin when I consider the bonus categories on my other cards.

I don't know how AMEX makes money off that. The only way I see them making $ is via online debit loads and transaction fees.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:17 pm

I'm trying to see how credit card companies can legitimately close your account if you are NOT using the value on the reload cards to pay off your CC bill. What's the diff if you buy $4000 in reloads at OD or 6 computers to them?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
I'm trying to see how credit card companies can legitimately close your account... What's the diff if you buy $4000 in reloads at OD or 6 computers to them?
They sometimes have something against purchasing cash equivalents in their terms and conditions. They see it as a way of giving yourself a cash advance while avoiding the cash advance fees and immediate interest and higher APR. Purchasing coins was the same kind of thing but very few of the card companies did much about that. They have to first identify your account as having that type of activity. So it probably won't be an issue unless you go really big.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:07 pm

Went back to the original one that said they had problems. Told them they work now, so bring me their stock in the back. They said they had to (gasp) completely get rid of them. What?! But they ordered more and they should be in this week. Woohoo. But I'm out of town the rest of this week...crap. Please leave me some.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:15 pm

Finally found success at a Walgreens.

Also, went to dollar general and tried to do a reload. BB was declined by register and manager says they can't accept Amex no matter what. Seems strange that they sell Amex gift cards, but you can't use them at the store.

Programs: Northwest, United
I'm trying to see how credit card companies can legitimately close your account if you are NOT using the value on the reload cards to pay off your CC bill. What's the diff if you buy $4000 in reloads at OD or 6 computers to them?
Because this is not a public utility or something else that you have any sort of right to. This is a private for-profit business, and they get to make up the rules and interpret the rules and change the rules any time they want to.

If they say you're doing something that constitutes abuse, they're the sole judge of that, and they can shut you down and don't have to give you any reason.

Sure, they're a business, so they don't want to piss off large numbers of customers, but once you cross the line from valuable patron and are viewed as a risk (or just a pain in the arse...) they have every right to send you packing and they will. Count on it.

The trick is to gain the benefits you can while still remaining on the good side of their line. What makes it tricky is that you can only see the line after you've stepped over it and they've smacked you down...so you never know if the next vanilla card you charge will be your last. Madagascar roulette?

Programs: UA 1K
Vanilla to bluebird transfer

I have both my bluebird card as well as a vanilla card purchased at OD. My question is, how do I actually transfer the balance on my vanilla card to re-load the bluebird card? Do I go to a cashier at walmart or do I do it online?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA ExP, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
James - if you have the correct bean reload, then you can just do it online. Go to the reload website, punch in your bb card # and then the pin from the bean and you're good to go!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Because this is not a public utility or something else that you have any sort of right to. This is a private for-profit business, and they get to make up the rules and interpret the rules and change the rules any time they want to.

If they say you're doing something that constitutes abuse, they're the sole judge of that, and they can shut you down and don't have to give you any reason.

Sure, they're a business, so they don't want to piss off large numbers of customers, but once you cross the line from valuable patron and are viewed as a risk (or just a pain in the arse...) they have every right to send you packing and they will. Count on it.

The trick is to gain the benefits you can while still remaining on the good side of their line. What makes it tricky is that you can only see the line after you've stepped over it and they've smacked you down...so you never know if the next vanilla card you charge will be your last. Madagascar roulette?
How is it abuse if you are not using the funds to pay off the CC bill? I understand the point of avoiding the APR rate for cash advances, but anything else I find it hard to constitute abuse.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gfu18
James - if you have the correct bean reload, then you can just do it online. Go to the reload website, punch in your bb card # and then the pin from the bean and you're good to go!
Bean reload? Sorry, I'm thinking thats something to do with the vanilla card?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:34 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Agree, but in my case the first cashier didn't even know what this card is supposed to be. Hence she called for the manager and it was the manager who told me the story. I know how the Vanilla reload is supposed to work but when she explained that I need to slide the card to which I want to reload the Vanilla, otherwise she cannot continue the transaction, I was kind of speechless. She showed me the screen, I couldn't see anything that was either confirming or disconfirming her claim nor a place to enter the amount I wanted to charge to Vanilla...
When I last time bought icecream at OD, I saw everything what was on cashier's display - it was step by step instructions, how to proceed with selling the item (scan, add, type, ....).

However, the big problem when cashier doesn't know what to do, but pretends he knows a lot and can handle it. My story - last week I was able to buy some vanilla at my walgreens using CC. I guess I was lucky, since the cashier was the senior person (probably, manager on duty). I purchased vanilla without any problems (register allowed to do it). I tried MoneyPack and register declined it immediately - cash only.

Today I visited this walgreens and wanted to buy more icecream. It was evening and probably "most experienced" personnel wasn't working. Cashier obviously didn't know how to proceed with vanilla and she started to read what is written on Vanilla. She found "load cash" and said that only cash can be used. What is sad that register did not displayed "cash only". I started to argue with her, she called manager. Manager came and she showed him Vanilla with sentence "Load cash". Manager wasn't smart enough, so he followed this sentence and said that this is corporative policy (in other words, if it is written, he must follow it, otherwise he will loose his job). I understood that they would not budge and I left very angry. I hope tomorrow will be more experienced person who would not hesitate to proceed with such transaction.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
How is it abuse if you are not using the funds to pay off the CC bill? I understand the point of avoiding the APR rate for cash advances, but anything else I find it hard to constitute abuse.
If they say it's abuse, then it's abuse. Period.

That's all there is to it. Honestly, it's no more complicated than that.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Agree.

Keep in mind that many of these OD cashiers are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed and/or highly trained/motivated (no offense, that's just life at a cash register in a chain store). And they have a bazillion items in their store, including many dozens of different "gift cards" which all have their quirks. It shouldn't be a surprise that you probably won't find an expert there.

YOU need to be the most informed person involved in the transaction.
Not the sharpest? At least try to denigrate the clerks at the correct store (the poster was at Family Dollar). And for the record, the Manager at FD is correct in her assessment of how the system works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.