Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
To supply a student/child/etc with the WFPP while someone else funds the account.
There are tons of products for them that does not cost monthly dues, a secondary credit card or debit card, everyone has it if they have a bank account, which is required to fund the Wf PP according the new policy.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Sigh. There it is on the FAQ as well:
"Note: Effective May 1, 2013, only Wells Fargo Debit Cards and Wells Fargo Credit Cards can schedule recurring reloads or transfer funds."

Another one bites the dust. It's kind of a relief in one sense. Now I can stop worrying about whether WF will shut me down. It's full speed ahead until I crash into that May 1 wall!

Andyandy
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by prasha11
There are tons of products for them that does not cost monthly dues, a secondary credit card or debit card, everyone has it if they have a bank account, which is required to fund the Wf PP according the new policy.
And? You asked and I gave you an answer.

And no, NOT everyone who uses a WFPP has to have a CC or bank aco.... with WF, or any other institution, be it today or after the new T&C take effect.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mapenn
Well dang. I've had my WFPP for a few months, but just started cautiously using it this week - testing it with a little $500 load, and $250 BB transfer. Reading the accounts in this thread of people loading & dumping the max amounts over and over again without any normal, "moderation" spending strategy...not saying that it ruined it for us, but I'm sure it raised more than a few red flags at WF.
This is not the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:21 am

Last edited by 30French; Mar 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by punjabi2
Well, recently got in this game, haven't even received my card yet, and demise is near. I am sure this will not be the last, something else will pop up. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Right, these are fly by products and have short life, banks look for a fast buck and we want our points. There must always a win - win situation.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:51 am

I wonder if you have WF credit/debit card, why you need the Wf PP ?
I think it's designed somewhat to be a product that can be loaded remotely for a user who is not the one doing the loading. Like a college student whose parents want to control their monthly spending and see their charges, or add funds when they need to buy books, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by lkar
I think it's designed somewhat to be a product that can be loaded remotely for a user who is not the one doing the loading. Like a college student whose parents want to control their monthly spending and see their charges, or add funds when they need to buy books, etc.
Most college students have a 'Student checking account' and a credit card and also a 'Debit card' linked to their checking account, that does not cost a thing. The parents can transfer money from their checking account remotely online to the student's checking account, does not cost a thing. I do not see need for wf PP and pay the fees for it, the product Wf PP will die in less than a year with new policy......we the points seekers keep these products live for mutual benefits, I think all banks know it, when their objective is served they change the rules of the game in the middle of the game or shut it down, we move on to the next product, keep on churning.....
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:34 am

Most college students have a 'Student checking account' and a credit card and also a 'Debit card' linked to their checking account, that does not cost a thing. The parents can transfer money from their checking account remotely online to the student's checking account, does not cost a thing. I do not see need for wf PP and pay the fees for it, the product Wf PP will die in less than a year with new policy......we the points seekers keep these products live for mutual benefits, I think all banks know it, when their objective is served they change the rules of the game in the middle of the game or shut it down, we move on to the next product, keep on churning.....
agreed. this is their nice way to shut us down.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:16 pm

Too bad this is dying. The economics of this card were pretty good. Using the UA Club Card, I was earning 6750 UA miles per month ($4500 load plus 50% bonus). The costs were:

$10 (2 $5 loads)
$3 (monthly fee)
$6.30 (9 MO's at WM at .7 each)

$19.30 for 6750 miles is $0.0028 per mile, which I'll take any day.

I don't think I'm going to continue even before the May deadline. The recent shutdowns, plus the change in funding, means the risk management folks at WF are paying very close attention to this product. WF's customer service is AWFUL for this card, and I suspect a shutdown would result in a very lengthy tie-up of funds, not worth it for another month of manufactured spending.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I don't think I'm going to continue even before the May deadline. The recent shutdowns, plus the change in funding, means the risk management folks at WF are paying very close attention to this product. WF's customer service is AWFUL for this card, and I suspect a shutdown would result in a very lengthy tie-up of funds, not worth it for another month of manufactured spending.
FWIW, the 2nd of my 2 cards was shut down this week and the check is already in the mail ... I'll post when I get it, but hopefully it's relatively soon.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:17 am

MO at Walmart

Like to buy $1000 Money Order at Walmart using Wf PP, does $600 limit/day apply? it goes as a purchase but does it count towards weekly ATM limit?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:21 am

Bummer to hear this. Only recently got it for the first time in late January and funded once. I just added my second credit card as a funding source but it won't take a charge even though I put in well under my CA limit. Is there a wait time before using the new funding source?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Like to buy $1000 Money Order at Walmart using Wf PP, does $600 limit/day apply? it goes as a purchase but does it count towards weekly ATM limit?
1. It's $600/transaction, not day.

2. It's a pin purchase, not an ATM withdrawal.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Need to hit a 5k limit in a couple of months. Do you guys think this would still be a good option (should be done before the May deadline i think)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.