Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

R.I.P., Mint. We loved you. Fan thread. Share your memories, stories etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R.I.P., Mint. We loved you. Fan thread. Share your memories, stories etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Sad. I was looking to maximize circulation through nearly 100k per year of legit cash purchases. Oh well, 30k in 6 weeks was at least an attempt. Back to waiting on BD to give me lifetime status.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by Yobz
That's a shame. Now I have a $500 Amex GC to burn through.
I have 5k!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To those on FT who want the coins for non-abusive purposes, they are still available. It's simply a cash-for-cash exchange. The Mint's action here cuts off only a device which could and was clearly being abused.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Often1
To those on FT who want the coins for non-abusive purposes, they are still available. It's simply a cash-for-cash exchange. The Mint's action here cuts off only a device which could and was clearly being abused.
Yes it was nice well it lasted, but with all the bragging by some it was bound to end. When you start making national news bye bye. My 1st and only post about anything to do with coins.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I mean if you were getting them with your card and circulating the coins it was beneficial for everyone. Now it's not really beneficial to anyone. Who wants dollar coins anyway? They're gross. In the States you can practically buy everything with credit. I never have more than $20 in my wallet at any given time when I'm back visiting. In Japan good luck finding anyone to accept your card.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by aragno
Sad. I was looking to maximize circulation through nearly 100k per year of legit cash purchases. Oh well, 30k in 6 weeks was at least an attempt.
You still can. Write a check.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:36 am

It will be interesting to see how they progress on their Congressional mandate after this decision. I would venture that, while most of the coins purchased by FT'ers only made it one step into circulation, the majority of the other coins probably only made it two steps into circulation. I can honestly say that the only $1 coins I ever received were directly from the mint, never as change back from a transaction. The bottom line is that this "experiment" has shown that nobody wants a $1 coin in the United States.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: LOL, ROFL & ...
I circulated the crap out of the coins too. People loved getting them, even taxi drivers who never like anything. The local Thai delivery guy knew me as the guy who always paid in coins. The novelty never wore off.

Alas, it's too much effort to get the coins now.

It will be interesting to see what's going to happen now to incentivize the circulation of these coins.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was only able to get 2k in coins....i placed an order last week that is scheduled to ship 8/7, hopefully that order still goes through.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Originally Posted by Ritz
Originally Posted by aragno
Sad. I was looking to maximize circulation through nearly 100k per year of legit cash purchases. Oh well, 30k in 6 weeks was at least an attempt.
You still can. Write a check.
The point was to earn miles on these cash expenses. As well, this cash expense is spread across the US and checks are not accepted at any of the merchants- only cash or cc (at a 2-3% premium, which doesn't work out considering the low operating margins of the company).

Oh well, back to ATM withdrawals and new ways of racking up miles.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I bought the coins a couple of times and used them. I thought it was a win/win for everyone.....
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by fstop75
I can honestly say that the only $1 coins I ever received were directly from the mint, never as change back from a transaction. The bottom line is that this "experiment" has shown that nobody wants a $1 coin in the United States.
In the five years or so of this post-Sacajawea experiment, I received only one dollar coin in a business transaction, and that in change from a friend who said he had gotten it "palmed off" on him and he wasn't even sure it was legitimate, but if I was willing to take it, great; if not he'd give me a "real" dollar instead.

I seem to remember having received a Suzie B in change one time. I didn't notice it at the time, and don't know whether it was given to me as a dollar or as a quarter. I carefully spent it quickly as a dollar before I forgot and treated it as a quarter.

The Mint needs to create something that looks *and feels* different for their $1 coin, maybe a bi-metalic like the euro coins (and others from Europe) or actually make it hexagonal or octogonal, or even put a hole in the center. Then it might catch on.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:51 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by ftizzy
I circulated the crap out of the coins too. People loved getting them, even taxi drivers who never like anything. The local Thai delivery guy knew me as the guy who always paid in coins. The novelty never wore off.
Same here.

I think the only way the $1 coin will take off in the US is if we stop printing the $1 bill. That would be fine with me. This current $1 coin is fine "as is." It definitely can't be confused with a quarter, like in the past. It sure looks and feels different to me than any other US coin.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by fti
Same here.

I think the only way the $1 coin will take off in the US is if we stop printing the $1 bill. That would be fine with me. This current $1 coin is fine "as is." It definitely can't be confused with a quarter, like in the past. It sure looks and feels different to me than any other US coin.
I agree 100%

We need to stop printing the $1 bill tomorrow. A paper bill has an average life span of 11 months. A coin, 35 years.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:34 pm

All good things must come to an end.

Actually, I could give a hoot, as people truly abused the intent of the program. It's one thing to order $1K of coins to meet a credit card spending requirement, but some people went on to purchase tens of thousands of dollars worth of coins, only to deposit them at a bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.