FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   R.I.P., Mint. We loved you. Fan thread. Share your memories, stories etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1239815-r-i-p-mint-we-loved-you-fan-thread-share-your-memories-stories-etc.html)

Fevsi Jul 22, 2011 3:50 pm

R.I.P., Mint. We loved you. Fan thread. Share your memories, stories etc.

Dear United States Mint Direct Ship Customer:

The United States Mint has eliminated the credit and debit card purchase of $1 Coins through its Direct Ship Program effective July 20, 2011. Customers who wish to purchase $1 coins through the Direct Ship Program can still do so by using a wire transfer, money order or check. Customers who wish to purchase the coins by wire transfer may fax their order to (202)756-6585. Customers interested in purchasing by money order or check may do so by submitting your request in writing to the following address:

United States Mint
PO Box 71192
Philadelphia, PA 19176-6192

Please download the order form which includes wire transfer information and follow the instructions provided on the form. http://www.usmint.gov/downloads/dire.../orderform.pdf

If you currently have an open $1 coin Direct Ship order placed with the United States Mint, that order will be cancelled. Please resubmit your order by wire transfer, check or money order using the order form. The Mint has determined that this policy change is prudent due to ongoing activity by individuals purchasing $1 coins with credit cards, accumulating frequent flyer miles, and then returning coins to local banks. Local banks, in turn, return coins to the Federal Reserve. While not illegal, this activity is a clear abuse and misuse of the program which was intended to facilitate the use of $1 coins in cash transactions.

The Mint has undertaken several aggressive internal and external actions to mitigate this issue, including restricting chronic and repeated use of credit cards, contacting customers who frequently placed large numbers of orders to ensure they were using the coins for legitimate business purchases, and other measures. While these efforts eliminated a significant amount of misuse in the program, we believe some abuse still exists. Eliminating the credit and debit card purchase of the $1 coin is the next step in our efforts to root out abuse in this program and ensure it is better targeted toward fulfilling its intended purpose – which is to get the $1 coin into greater circulation.

Thank you for your understanding and your continued support of the $1 Coin Program.

The United States Mint

uclabruin82 Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm

haha. I just got the email myself and the first place I went was FT!

dshides Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82 (Post 16779068)
haha. I just got the email myself and the first place I went was FT!

Haha me too.. First thought, FT. Second thought, where am I going to get the rest of my spend before the end of the year... It was good while it lasted

fragment54 Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Sucks for us.

Fevsi Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

5 stages of grief

Lets be festive and solemn, as the occasion requires.

First things first: shock-denial-mourning -

wow, there is venmo! :)

NYBanker Jul 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Here's a zoom in on the building where the coins come from. Ironic that there's a bunch of workers already sitting around outside. (I know it wasn't taken today...)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=map+27...8lsBcom8XyRxGA

Azurik Jul 22, 2011 3:57 pm

I just got the e-mail on my phone... R.I.P.

I love how it mentioned frequent flyer miles and not cashback or other programs. I think it shows the severity this had on it - not to mention all those news that it created (which quickened its downfall).

Dirk1609 Jul 22, 2011 4:05 pm

US mint is done : (

Dear United States Mint Direct Ship Customer:

The United States Mint has eliminated the credit and debit card purchase of $1 Coins through its Direct Ship Program effective July 20, 2011. Customers who wish to purchase $1 coins through the Direct Ship Program can still do so by using a wire transfer, money order or check. Customers who wish to purchase the coins by wire transfer may fax their order to (202)756-6585. Customers interested in purchasing by money order or check may do so by submitting your request in writing to the following address:

United States Mint
PO Box 71192

Gamecock Jul 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Dear Mint,

I ordered $250 twice an month. I never deposited them, but put them into circulation as per the intent of the program. I used them to buy drinks from vending machines, to buy lunch at work and to give the kids when they wanted a few dollars.

The paltry 500 miles I received was just enough motivation to participate in your program.

I don't do checks and I am not wasting my time going to get a money order just to have pocket change.

Gamecock

Jesperss Jul 22, 2011 4:06 pm

REALLY? :mad:

Dirk1609 Jul 22, 2011 4:07 pm

big question

WHATS NEXT?

magiciansampras Jul 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Good for them. ^

Travel K Jul 22, 2011 4:21 pm

It was fun while it lasted. I had lots of friends that would buy them off of me as well. I put a lot into circulation and deposited the rest.

Spock Seat Jul 22, 2011 4:28 pm

I think the real reason is the debt ceiling collapse----what does the MINT care about FF Miles or even credit card purchases without them. If it's "circulation", then all the MINT has to do is get the coins at the Fed Reserve and ship 'em out again. That's circulation.

That's hilarious. Oh well, let's get the checks and MOs now.
The real reason --- is the debt ceiling collapse.

Spock Seat :-:

atalerico Jul 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Are there any other 'free' ways to get miles now?