Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

R.I.P., Mint. We loved you. Fan thread. Share your memories, stories etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R.I.P., Mint. We loved you. Fan thread. Share your memories, stories etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA G
Thanks for justifying my SPG AMEX.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Good for them. ^
Agreed-but it did take them a while (with the help of one newspaper article) to "figure it out"

Originally Posted by k_malm
It was fun while it lasted. I had lots of friends that would buy them off of me as well. I put a lot into circulation and deposited the rest.
That it was (not for me but for quite a few of my friends)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
NPR, Yahoo, et al =
No, it was because it was a clear abuse of the program. The intention was to circulate $1 coins, not to create a never-ending circle of delivering the coins from the US Mint, then returning them straight to the bank.

Had people used this program legitimately, more than likely it would still be in existence today. But you only have yourselves, or your fellow coins program abusers to blame.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
No, it was because it was a clear abuse of the program. The intention was to circulate $1 coins, not to create a never-ending circle of delivering the coins from the US Mint, then returning them straight to the bank.

Had people used this program legitimately, more than likely it would still be in existence today. But you only have yourselves, or your fellow coins program abusers to blame.
I'm just being sophomoric in my complaint. I'm well aware of purpose of the coin program, I'm just sad I deposited all of my coins before I got to pay my marriage license with them in Sept.

Last edited by UNHBuzzard; Jul 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm Reason: iPad fat fingers
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
I'm probably pretty small fry here with only about 20K in coins over the past two years and ironically enough I received my final box of Frankin Pierce coins today from a 500 dollar order that was only half filled. Although I must say that even though I deposited some of the 20K, the majority was spent on daily expenses such as lottery tickets and alcohol. Of course I have no illusions that most of those 'circulated' coins went straight to the bank or wound up in the cashier's piggy bank. If anything the adverse reactions to the coins from some on this board and from those at convienence/fast food restaurants makes me wonder how these same people will react if there's a real financial crisis in this country. Actually the whole thing started to feel like polishing brass on the Titanic, that is spending real money to get theoretical miles that devalue every year on the airline industry which isn't the most stable of businesses to begin with.

Still I got so used to spending the coins and irritating cashiers that I'll still go to the bank and get the occasional roll for small purchases.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: United: 1K
It's going to be sad going through my last box of George Washington's knowing I probably won't be getting any more. I loved the reaction I got from people when I spent the coins. Movies, dinner, lunch, a car, the dry cleaner, tips, I spent the coins everywhere.

I liked having at least a dozen jangling in my pockets at all times and rolls in my bag.

But, alas, it's over.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Today I just spent my last order paying bills and my mortgage. The teller asked when I would be back in and explained that it was getting harder to get coins. Little did I know that it would be the last time. I'm so glad I have a few rolls left. I just put 2 rolls into my purse to spend tomorrow at RenFair. I loved spending them. Surprising people with them. My son loved spending them at school for lunch. I used them in parking meters, farmers markets and for small spends for which I was too embarrassed to use a credit card. My husband used them to pay for his addiction to Starbucks several times a day. I will miss them.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Got the same email. Also will be interesting to see if my back-ordered coins ship (still shows as back-ordered on their site) -- assume they won't. I only ordered a few thousand since I had a real difficult time spending them. I was too lazy to lug them to the electric company or other labor intensive ideas mentioned here. It was a bit difficult to spend them and they are very heavy to carry vs $1 bills.

Personally, I would get rid of the penny and nickle (no matter how poor you are, they are worthless - prices still denominated in pennies, just final checkout to be rounded to the nearest dime) and make the dollar coin only 20% bigger and heavier than a quarter but keep its brass color. At that point, the mint would probably get people to want them. Oh, and they would certainly have to stop printing the $1 if there is any chance. Too bad our congress would never do something so smart, though I admit they have bigger things to worry about right now.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I ordered $500 in coins once, about a year ago.

Now let me see. Where is that credit card sign up thread?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:20 pm

Dear Mint,

You and I have gone through so much together. While I am sad to see you will no longer send me coins in the mail, I appreciate the $175k in coins you sent to me over the course of the last few years.

While all my local banks still give me the stink eye and Chase blacklisted me from ever opening another credit card again, you were my only friend. Alas, you too have abandoned me.

It was good while it lasted. Thanks for the memories.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by balima
Today I just spent my last order paying bills and my mortgage. The teller asked when I would be back in and explained that it was getting harder to get coins. Little did I know that it would be the last time. I'm so glad I have a few rolls left. I just put 2 rolls into my purse to spend tomorrow at RenFair. I loved spending them. Surprising people with them. My son loved spending them at school for lunch. I used them in parking meters, farmers markets and for small spends for which I was too embarrassed to use a credit card. My husband used them to pay for his addiction to Starbucks several times a day. I will miss them.
If you miss them this much, send in a check and buy some!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by dweick
I liked having at least a dozen jangling in my pockets at all times and rolls in my bag.

But, alas, it's over.
A friend of mine made the point that if they ever do the logical thing and get rid of $1 paper bills, we'd all have coins jangling all the time. I suggested bringing back the Robin Hood era leather coin bag.

Society's rejection of the $1 coin made annoying people with the coins a fun game. My favorite was borrowing money from a buddy, and then paying him back in coins. He was pissed.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:42 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
So now, not only will there be coins stacked up at The Fed's warehouses, but at The Mint's warehouses. I'm going to enjoy going into my bank and asking for rolls of dollar coins now. I like them and keep about a roll's worth in my change purse.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by tripice351
A friend of mine made the point that if they ever do the logical thing and get rid of $1 paper bills, we'd all have coins jangling all the time. I suggested bringing back the Robin Hood era leather coin bag.

Society's rejection of the $1 coin made annoying people with the coins a fun game. My favorite was borrowing money from a buddy, and then paying him back in coins. He was pissed.
A large portion of the rest of the world functions just fine with coins roughly equivalent to $1 and even $5 like the 100 yen and 500 yen pieces which have no bill equivalent.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
So now, not only will there be coins stacked up at The Fed's warehouses, but at The Mint's warehouses. I'm going to enjoy going into my bank and asking for rolls of dollar coins now. I like them and keep about a roll's worth in my change purse.
I like to use them too.

If anyone's ever in downtown D.C. and wants to pick up some dollar coins (albeit with cash only...sadly they don't take credit cards!), the U.S. Mint building at 801 9th Street N.W. has machines in the lobby with NAs, President $1s, and the current state park quarter available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.