VENMO

Old Jan 21, 19, 8:35 am
  #556  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
What you are saying is that you only need to make a single "direct deposit" and they will accept that as satisfying the terms and conditions. I didn't know that.
That is true, there are banks I signed up for bonuses where the bonus posted right after the first *"DD" posted. Now you know and if you're interested to find out what those banks are, check doctorofcredit website : )

*this was from ACH transfer from a CU, not from employer's account.
ShakuniMama likes this.
Mamibear is offline  
Old Feb 28, 19, 8:44 am
  #557  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,313
Several reports on another site that, as of 2/26, VENMO no longer codes 3x on everyone's favorite business card. (sniffle, sniffle)
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Mar 6, 19, 7:25 am
  #558  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: BA
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
The basic answer appears to be "no". I would suggest that you read backwards on this thread for about 2-3 months and you will find a discussion about this topic.

In general, I find that there are certain sites (such as Paypal) that are too valuable for me to mess with by using MS (to any worthwhile extent, at least). Venmo is one of them, BB and Serve were (for me) another. While I am not a heavy user of Venmo, I find that the convenience of using it far outstrip the minimal MS benefits it provides (when taking in the cost of losing it by being banned).

So YMMV but being able to load 4 $500 GCs a year (if you find ones that actually work) isn't worth the risk of losing the service to me.
Out of curiosity, how does Venmo ban you? Can't you just make a new account? It's not like they have your SSN or anything...
wiivile is offline  
Old Mar 6, 19, 12:30 pm
  #559  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 4,014
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Out of curiosity, how does Venmo ban you? Can't you just make a new account? It's not like they have your SSN or anything...
A good question.
So you may want to read this article which gives multiple examples of how a Venmo account can be restricted.
And interestingly, having multiple accounts is one of the reasons you can be restricted or banned.
radonc1 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:26 am
  #560  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: JRF
Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
Posts: 1,307
If putting in a metabank VGC, what goes in the zip code field? I’ve tried mine, Blackhawk network’s, it all leads to a zip code error. Is the only solution to register the VGC and set your own zip code?
msp3 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:32 pm
  #561  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
If putting in a metabank VGC, what goes in the zip code field? I’ve tried mine, Blackhawk network’s, it all leads to a zip code error. Is the only solution to register the VGC and set your own zip code?
Si.
msp3 likes this.
Thefirst is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 10:45 am
  #562  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,353
I thought you could get rid of a few gift cards on Venmo every year. The last two times I tried it (today and about a month ago), with a $200 Visa GC issued by Sunrise Bank, Venmo told me I could not use this type of card. I've loaded an occasional GC to Venmo over the years, but none so far this year. Is it no longer possible to use a GC on Vemno, or is there something specifically problematic about Sunrise cards?
iahphx is offline  
Old Aug 5, 19, 11:32 am
  #563  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 118
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I thought you could get rid of a few gift cards on Venmo every year. The last two times I tried it (today and about a month ago), with a $200 Visa GC issued by Sunrise Bank, Venmo told me I could not use this type of card. I've loaded an occasional GC to Venmo over the years, but none so far this year. Is it no longer possible to use a GC on Vemno, or is there something specifically problematic about Sunrise cards?
Yes seems to be a new thing. Was reported recently Simon VGC no longer work either.
SideShowBob is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:14 pm
  #564  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 582
Tried to add amex biz delta plat to venmo.
”you cant use this card on venmo. Try another card.”

Are amex biz cards not allowed?

Last edited by Travelchurner; Aug 20, 19 at 2:37 pm
Travelchurner is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 8:05 am
  #565  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 4,014
Originally Posted by Travelchurner View Post
Tried to add amex biz delta plat to venmo.
”you cant use this card on venmo. Try another card.”

Are amex biz cards not allowed?
Do you have more than one Venmo account? If you do, and your DL Amex card is linked to one of those accounts, then it cannot be linked to another Venmo account.
Per their site...."At this time, each bank account or card can only be linked to one Venmo account. This requirement is in place to help prevent fraudulent transactions and protect the financial security of our users."

The site also says that Venmo may decline any card it wishes for whatever reason, so who knows why they would block a real CC from being used, unless they have something against business cards in general
radonc1 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:31 pm
  #566  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 582
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Do you have more than one Venmo account? If you do, and your DL Amex card is linked to one of those accounts, then it cannot be linked to another Venmo account.
Per their site...."At this time, each bank account or card can only be linked to one Venmo account. This requirement is in place to help prevent fraudulent transactions and protect the financial security of our users."

The site also says that Venmo may decline any card it wishes for whatever reason, so who knows why they would block a real CC from being used, unless they have something against business cards in general
No, just one venmo account. It seems to be limited to Amex biz cards as my barclays biz card worked.
Travelchurner is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:58 pm
  #567  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I thought you could get rid of a few gift cards on Venmo every year. The last two times I tried it (today and about a month ago), with a $200 Visa GC issued by Sunrise Bank, Venmo told me I could not use this type of card. I've loaded an occasional GC to Venmo over the years, but none so far this year. Is it no longer possible to use a GC on Vemno, or is there something specifically problematic about Sunrise cards?
I tried for the 1st time today and was able to load 2 metabank vgc (from Staples deal) into my venmo, but on the 3rd card it started saying you cannot add this type of card.
NateDogg757 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:18 pm
  #568  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,120
Originally Posted by NateDogg757 View Post
I tried for the 1st time today and was able to load 2 metabank vgc (from Staples deal) into my venmo, but on the 3rd card it started saying you cannot add this type of card.
Venmo rarely lets me add a card. I think there are limits other than the 4 card per 6 months rule.
nall is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:47 am
  #569  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: REP/LHR
Posts: 1,141
I'm trying to add a Chase Business Preferred card to my Venmo account and it won't let me. Are these cards banned? This is my first and only Venmo account and this will be my first credit card. I've used the Venmo account a few times over the last few months to receive money, but I've never sent anything.
giblet is offline  
Old Oct 15, 19, 12:05 pm
  #570  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Metabank VGC transaction declined

I just successfully added a $500 Metabank VGC into my Venmo account as normal. However, when I tried to transfer money from this card to my friend, an error "transaction declined" popped up. I tried different recipients and a smaller amount, neither succeed.

The balance of VGC is still $500 on the website.

Does anyone have same experience?
Uirseita is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: