Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VENMO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:34 pm

my experience with venmo

Originally Posted by ddutil
I think they banned us all plus anybody who ever sent or received money from one of us.
Excellent so far my experience with venmo is. I have been using this program for about 4 months now and have no trouble at all. But then, I am quite modest, not any more than $200 per month and pay to real people not to my pocket.

In my experience, VENMO is fast and reliable. Unlike ~10 days for (wallet to bank acct) transaction in Xipwire, Venmo transaction is much faster; 2~3 days usually.

Edit: they locked my account, so there is no more invite available.. no matter what, how careful you were using them, in the long run, they ban all your accounts eventually.

Last edited by ninano; Aug 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm Reason: venmo locked my account, so no more invite available
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ninano
Excellent so far my experience with venmo is. I have been using this program for about 4 months now and have no trouble at all. But then, I am quite modest, not any more than $200 per month and pay to real people not to my pocket.
What do you use Venmo for? I'm interested in using it to split rent and utilities, but after reading some people's experiences, it sounds like Venmo doesn't like big charges. Although their website states that you can use it to split rent, I'm afraid because of the amount (rent is usually big even when split), it could be a reason for them to ban you.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - so I've been using Venmo for a few months. I'm surprised there hasn't been more traffic in this forum about it. It's definitely got some problems, but hey, it provides free miles!

Initially, I couldn't get into the beta. But I found a way around that, which is to download the iPhone app, and then you can sign up within the app - no beta restrictions.

Next, I don't really know what the limit is, but it's certainly useful to get SOME miles, and it's also helpful in those situations where you need X amount of charges per month. You can just keep sending your friend/spouse/relative a few dollars here and there and rack up the transactions.

I saw a mention above about fees and ACH and such. For the record, for me:

-No fees

-ACH is only for deposit

-All inputs to the system are by credit card

I assume that'll have to change one day, but in the early days, I always make sure to take advantage, hard.

To me, Venmo is a race: how can I max it out for miles, yet not overdo it and run into problems, all before the inevitable fees start rolling in?

One more note: part of their shtick is that you can take money from friends based on some mysterious "trust" mechanism. To demonstrate that, you can take $1 from Venmo after you get rolling. You also get $1 for each friend you refer, who signs up. Not much, but it's something.

Let me say in advance, while I'm all about referral bonuses, the $1 on this one doesn't interest me enough to overcome the time involved. So if you're looking for a referral, find someone else in this thread, and thanks for the thought!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
What do you use Venmo for? I'm interested in using it to split rent and utilities, but after reading some people's experiences, it sounds like Venmo doesn't like big charges. Although their website states that you can use it to split rent, I'm afraid because of the amount (rent is usually big even when split), it could be a reason for them to ban you.
I'm pretty sure the max charge is $999. Just stay well short of that, and space your rent payments out twice a month if need be.

I think there's a monthly max, but I haven't had a problem so far.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
OK - so I've been using Venmo for a few months. I'm surprised there hasn't been more traffic in this forum about it.
Did you ever think the less traffic it gets the longer it will last?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QL_714
Did you ever think the less traffic it gets the longer it will last?
Not my MO. I learn a lot here, and I have to add what I can.

I'd rather FTers get it while it lasts, instead of others.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got an email from these guys today telling me that ACH deposits will now happen overnight.

All I can glean from that is that they want me to pull my money out, and not keep it there to send to others. Fine!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know how to get all of my contacts out of the iPhone app?

When you set it up, it automatically imports your contacts. I hit "cancel" as it was going, but not soon enough. I hate that there was no option "Should we import your contacts?"

Anyway, I've got hundreds of contacts in there, all with "invite" buttons on their info. I'll clearly never invite, pay, or receive from 99% of them, so it's actually more useless than building them manually.

But I can't figure out how to delete - I might try deleting the app, reinstalling, and getting ready to hit "cancel" as fast as possible.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG

Last edited by Ben Linus; Jun 4, 2011 at 6:56 am
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ben Linus
Could someone send me an invite please? I did start this thread....
To send an invite, the member needs your email address. I'm happy to do it if you PM me. But I'm happy to spread the wealth also.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG

Last edited by Ben Linus; Jun 4, 2011 at 6:56 am
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone try multiple referrals? If ten of us refer one email address, and that email gets signed up, do we each get a buck? Or does each referral after the first get denied when you try to refer?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Three things:

1 - There is currently NO referral bonus with Venmo. That seems to be turned off.

2 - I don't mind referring people, but I keep getting PMs asking for a code. There's no code (not sure if the Venmo site implies that) but rather, I need your email address, and I enter it in my phone app. So if you PM me, please just include your email address in the first PM, and I'll try to do them when I have a sec - usually it's within a few hours. (EDIT: I just found a referral URL, so I don't need your email address actually)

3 - If you don't want to bother with a referral and you have an iPhone, just download the app. That's how I got in. You can sign up in there without a code.

Last edited by josephstern; Jun 6, 2011 at 10:08 am
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
3 - If you don't want to bother with a referral and you have an iPhone, just download the app. That's how I got in. You can sign up in there without a code.
They have an Andriod app as well. Just DL'd it
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
They have an Andriod app as well. Just DL'd it
And you can sign up through it without a referral? If so, that's great.

Also, I just found a referral link I can give out, so I don't need your email address anymore by PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.