Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:54 pm

This may be a dumb question...but I am new to all of this and don't want to assume anything. I will be sending $ to my husband who has my same last name, lives at my same address and shares my bank account. If I send money from my credit card (ONLY my name on it and the account) to him, and he withdraws it to OUR joint bank account, will that be a problem? Will they catch that I'm married to him?

I will be using separate computers (and IP addresses) for each part of the transaction.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:08 pm

Just PM for questions. You can use the search feature to cruise through the thread too.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
I take care of 4 AP accounts. mine, wife, sister and niece.
You are probably about to get banned. Should have stuck with the T&C's.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Caymen
This may be a dumb question...but I am new to all of this and don't want to assume anything. I will be sending $ to my husband who has my same last name, lives at my same address and shares my bank account. If I send money from my credit card (ONLY my name on it and the account) to him, and he withdraws it to OUR joint bank account, will that be a problem? Will they catch that I'm married to him?

I will be using separate computers (and IP addresses) for each part of the transaction.
Or... you can open a new bank account. It's so damn easy these days.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by MilesGator
Thanks for mentioning this. I was ~75% sure two computers on the same router would have the same IP addy. Your post saved me searching the interwebs for the answer!
browse to whatismyip.com and it will tell you what IP each computer is using (It will be the same)
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:14 am

Question.

I currently Send to my wife, she sends to a friend, and that friend sends back to me. Works great.

I have a stack of cards in my name to hit minimums with. Is it safe to add my wife as a second cardholder and keep sending through the 3-way that way?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:18 am

4 accounts

I also use 4 accounts, me, wife, 2 kids accounts. $4,000/mo cycled for 5 months now.

Everyone has their own bank accounts. I just go in and move money around then pay the cc bills. Amazon accounts are easy to set up.
Anyone not using the entire family is leaving miles/money on the table.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: Several dozen
Originally Posted by jrreynolds
I also use 4 accounts, me, wife, 2 kids accounts. $4,000/mo cycled for 5 months now.

Everyone has their own bank accounts. I just go in and move money around then pay the cc bills. Amazon accounts are easy to set up.
Anyone not using the entire family is leaving miles/money on the table.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: Several dozen
As astro noted, PMs are your friends. Loose lips sink mints.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
As astro noted, PMs are your friends. Loose lips sink mints.
^ Good example is NPR and the US mint.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Loose lips sink mints.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by slider34
Question do you send money to your wife (deposit via credit card), withdrawl then do it the other way wife sends money to you (deposit via credit card), withdrawl?

I'm currently only sending one way, easily hit my bonuses that way but hitting 2 of the BA Visa's 20K bonus will be more difficult...
yes, exactly. Sometimes the same credit card, sometimes different ones, but we just sent 1k back and forth each month.

It's not much, but it helps hit initial spending requirements when necessary.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:29 pm

Read about the last 10 pages but not sure if I can or can't buy visa gift cards and unload through AP? If so, I will buy a bunch at office stores of course
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by brewernq
Read about the last 10 pages but not sure if I can or can't buy visa gift cards and unload through AP? If so, I will buy a bunch at office stores of course
Maybe
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
you dont seem to know what u r talking about!

each person can have one account, family of 4 has 4 accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.