Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Trying to send money but when i click continue to select the funding source, nothing happens. Blank page and thats it.
Any one else having this problem?
Never encountered anything like that before.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:51 pm

I've used amazon payments off and on. I tried yesterday to send a payment and it immediately came back as "Failed", with no other information. Anyone know why? I was making like a 383.92 payment with an amex cc. I have not sent any other money this month so my account says I still have $1000 limit on send.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by sarrisa
I've used amazon payments off and on. I tried yesterday to send a payment and it immediately came back as "Failed", with no other information. Anyone know why? I was making like a 383.92 payment with an amex cc. I have not sent any other money this month so my account says I still have $1000 limit on send.
sometimes it depends on who you are sending.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Good news for those of us that got in the "special" timing the beginning of june and had our limits reset mid/late June. It's july 1 and my limits have been reset again! Free extra amount for last month looks like it worked and real reset date is still 1st of the month!

Last edited by glocklt4; Jul 1, 2012 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Good news for those of us that got in the "special" timing the beginning of june and had our limits reset mid/late June. It's july 1 and my limits have been reset again! Free extra amount for last month looks like it worked and real reset date is still 1st of the month!
Can you please provide instructions on how to check the reset date?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by partizanka
Can you please provide instructions on how to check the reset date?
That special reset date doesn't matter as of now because it's a new month and we should all be reset to the standard $1,000 limit.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by infamousdx
That special reset date doesn't matter as of now because it's a new month and we should all be reset to the standard $1,000 limit.
Correct.

To view your limit go to Edit My Account Settings -> View My Account Limits.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:58 pm

I am using AP early this month hoping for a mid month reset.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vitousa
I am using AP early this month hoping for a mid month reset.
LOL!

Considering last month was the first time ever, I wouldn't waste too much time checking very often, but good luck!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:44 pm

It reset on the 30th.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:35 pm

I have a Citibank online only Visa debit card worth $150. It's essentially a Visa gift card. Can I use Amazon payments to convert it to cash, for example, send my wife $150?

The terms of the card include: Avoiding "cash equivalent" transactions: Sorry, but you cannot use your card for cash equivalency transactions (e.g. ATMs, Western Union).

If not Amazon payments, is there another mechanism?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
I have a Citibank online only Visa debit card worth $150. It's essentially a Visa gift card. Can I use Amazon payments to convert it to cash, for example, send my wife $150?

The terms of the card include: Avoiding "cash equivalent" transactions: Sorry, but you cannot use your card for cash equivalency transactions (e.g. ATMs, Western Union).

If not Amazon payments, is there another mechanism?
If you can use it as a debit/credit card, you can use it on AP. I believe your idea will work just fine.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by infamousdx
If you can use it as a debit/credit card, you can use it on AP. I believe your idea will work just fine.
Yes
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:05 pm

The only thing to keep in mind is you will probably need a registered billing address for the card to work on AP.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum
Im getting this message when trying to claim the payment:

This transaction could not be claimed. Please try again later or contact Customer Service for further assistance.

Not sure why... Is this happening to anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.