Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by tomcanada22
Using more transfer partners will decrease chances of shutdown.
But make sure you don't link same bank accts or same CC to more than one acct.
Also as been reported, try to use different computers as some suggested they may doing a trail tracking transactions by using same IP address.
Hope this helps.
IP tracking is a forum legend.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:38 pm

Not sure why Amazon will shut you down using Serve? I would have thought it would be the other way around, that Serve might shut you down instead of Amz as Serve only accepts a real credit card link? Maybe I' m wrong here?
I'm not sure if linking Serve was the culprit in any way. Just adding a data point.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by mrmandel
I'm not sure if linking Serve was the culprit in any way. Just adding a data point.

Any thoughts why Amz shut you down?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon

Maybe not as some have reported no other reason other than using same computer- same IP address for transactions. Just saying this could be a trigger if they are doing random audits.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:51 pm

Maybe not as some have reported no other reason other than using same computer- same IP address for transactions. Just saying this could be a trigger if they are doing random audits.
maybe yes as I never bother to change my IP.

But whatever warms your heart, do as you pleased
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by TravelJunky2024
I just setup an AP scheme with family consisting of the following:

A>B>C>D>E>A

Some of the people have the same last name
There is a total of 3 different addresses between everyone.

Has anyone heard of people getting shut down for sending payments to others with the same last name or home address?

I'm trying to strategize if I should separate people by last name or home address, both, or if neither matter.

Thanks for the help.
Mine is very similar, 5 total accounts, 3 addresses, 3 last names between all of us. Me, my wife, my sister, her husband, my mother. Been doing it for 3 months now. Hopefully it stays alive.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I respectfully disagree.

I have 10 accounts that have been successfully paying each other in a circle for nearly 2 years now. Each has it's own IP address. For June, I got in a hurry and forgot to change to the assigned IP address for account "C", and logged into the account from an IP address that was in a different geographic location than usual. A few days later, I received these emails:

---------------
Greetings from Amazon Payments.

At registration we collect information related to our customers, such as name, address, date of birth, social security number and EIN. This information is used to verify the account holder’s identity. We were unable to verify the information you provided during account registration.

In order to verify your identity information and to be able to start transacting using your Amazon payments account, please login to your account and submit the requested information.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter and for using Amazon Payments.

- The Amazon Payments Team

------------
Greetings from Amazon Payments.

We appreciate your use of Amazon Payments. Unfortunately, we have been unable to confirm your account information. This may be because you failed to respond to our past requests for more information or we could not confirm identity information provided by you.

In either case, we are now required to restrict your Amazon Payments account features.

We apologize for any resulting inconvenience and appreciate your understanding of our need to take this action.

Please sign in to your account and contact us should you have any questions about our need to take this action.

- The Amazon Payments Team

--------------

Thankfully I was able to reproduce the data I used when I created the account, and got it restored. But if I hadn't kept good records, and had forgotten the address, SSN, driver's lic number, etc. that I "used" to create the account, I would have been stone cold shut down.

Again, the ONLY difference in activity this month from the previous couple of years was the location of the IP address that I used.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Again, the ONLY difference in activity this month from the previous couple of years was the location of the IP address that I used.
That really doesn't mean anything. Tons of people have done transactions using the same IP address for as long with no issues.

At best, it's just a hint at unacceptable behavior. It's neither necessary nor sufficient for a shutdown.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I respectfully disagree.

Originally Posted by sechs
That really doesn't mean anything. Tons of people have done transactions using the same IP address for as long with no issues.

At best, it's just a hint at unacceptable behavior. It's neither necessary nor sufficient for a shutdown.
Tomato, tomAHto. Some people get away with using the same IP address. Other people have problems due to IP tracking. Including me. To say that my experience really doesn't mean anything is to simply ignore the facts. The ONLY change in my pattern in the past year was the IP address, and that change set off AP's trip wires. The opinion of whether it was necessary or sufficient for a shutdown is irrelevant...AP explicitly stated that they would shut me down if I did not comply with their request for further information.

Either way, to say that IP tracking is a forum legend is simply false. It's not an absolute shut down flag, but it's also not a myth.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:22 pm

Either way, to say that IP tracking is a forum legend is simply false. It's not an absolute shut down flag, but it's also not a myth.
Maybe.

Or maybe not.

Maybe it was just your time/turn to became a target.

Not much room for the argument since we don't know how the Bezos tribe operates.

You do what works for you.

I'll do what works for me.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:37 pm

This whole conversation about ips is absurd. They have your drivers license, your ss number, your address. It should be child's play for Amazon to shut down everyone with a duplicate account. For some reason they are not doing so.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Domat
This whole conversation about ips is absurd. They have your drivers license, your ss number, your address. It should be child's play for Amazon to shut down everyone with a duplicate account. For some reason they are not doing so.
Yep.

One simple automated SQL query, done.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:19 pm

Yep.

One simple automated SQL query, done.
Agreed.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
FYI - in case it helps people, there's a difference between the IP address on your local network/router vs the public IP you're really connected to the internet as (cable/phone provider).

Running ipconfig from the command line - your IP address on your local network/router,

For the public IP - http://www.whatismyip.com/
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: Several dozen
Call me a suspicious old auditor, but maybe the NSA pays Amazon a commission per account information collected. More accounts = more money? Naw, our government would never do anything like that....

Originally Posted by Domat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.