Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by honu
So I received the new AP T&C (effective as of Dec.?), and that includes a schedule of fees that I never noticed before: 3% and $0.30 for any transaction above $10. Was this always there and not getting applied, or is it truly new and awful?

Oops, never mind, those are the rules for the commercial use of AP (if you use it from, say, your web site). Sorry folks, nothing to see here yet.
thanks. i was too lazy to read thru the T&C that was sent to my email. knew someone would parse it on FT
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
thanks. i was too lazy to read thru the T&C that was sent to my email. knew someone would parse it on FT
Well, I didn't read through the whole thing either. The mention of fees caught my attention, so I looked them up, but, AFAICT, they shouldn't apply to non-commercial users. I'm not sure if there are any "enhancements" that I missed... I was kind of hoping to find out more about it here on FT too...
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
For everyone who uses AP on a monthly basis, do you do exactly $1k, just under $1k, or do you vary the amount every month? Just curious how careful everyone is...

Last edited by dajoip; Oct 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by dajoip
Delete
nvrmind
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:30 pm

For everyone who uses AP on a monthly basis, do you do exactly $1k, just under $1k, or do you vary the amount every month? Just curious how careful everyone is...
I have found that instant payments are more likely at lower amounts. Therefore I usually do 3 payments around $333 (with variation). That is only because I can't stand to wait an hour to see a payment go thru.

If anyone is looking to add another bank account, capitalone360 which bought INGdirect orange is a good option for a free account.

I have

A with bank account a (our normal bank account
mrs. A with bank account b (capital)
A -> B -> b
B -> A -> a
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
all good things must come to an end. goodbye AP
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by aeneas3
I have found that instant payments are more likely at lower amounts. Therefore I usually do 3 payments around $333 (with variation). That is only because I can't stand to wait an hour to see a payment go thru.
I believe it's a YMMV situation. I do 1k transaction all the time and it's always instant.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:05 pm

Instant for me as well for 1k
Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by combiblock
????
Old Oct 26, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
fees

Originally Posted by combiblock
Originally Posted by somdave2005
????
http://travelwithgrant.com/2013/10/2...cember-4-2013/

I don't know if this report that AP will soon be charging significant fees for sending money is right, but if so, it is very bad news.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Looks like it....

The fees on this page apply to all Amazon Payments products except for Amazon Flexible Payments Service. To see fees for Amazon Flexible Payments Service, click here.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
there are people that do both ways and some do multiple smaller amounts, i do just under 1k in 1 payment but they vary slightly from each acct
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:10 pm

Turn out the Lights, the Party's over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGxusvUT3k It had a good run.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: UA, AA EXP
it really did.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: All of Them
3k more points as a going away present from AP.RIP good friend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.