Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
Looks like failed transactions count against the monthly limit. Stupid Discover, they put a security hold on my account after first AP transaction, so the next one didn't go through. I cleared the security on the card but AP says I have already reached my monthly limit from the failed second transaction.
It will clear up, just give it awhile. Also, don't be in a rush and doing this at 11:50 p.m. at the end of the month, you'll give yourself a heart attack
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
phone call from Amazon

Phone rang tonight and the ID said "amazon.com" "Seattle" Oh crap. They're on to me. Well, it turned out OK. I had a couple xfers, one in June & one in July, that never went through. They emailed me, weeks later, saying that the street address I entered for the CCs didn't match. Minor issue. They asked if I wanted them to retry the xfer. I wrote back & told them to forget it. The call tonight was to verify that I had received an email & if everything was OK on my end. I said yes & we ended the call. Relief.

Last edited by philemer; Oct 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:30 am

Has anyone done any experimenting with buying AmEx gift cards through Amex online and getting 5% CB?

The terms of the offer only say "online" purchases so I'm a little confused at how broad that is.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:41 am

While it worked last year I believe last year's bonus category was for all online purchases (holiday shopping). That was a very broad brush.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:48 am

Statement closed today, with the AP test run as my statement balance (grumble). Took 3 days to post which is frustrating, however I do not see the additional cashback I expected. Any idea if it will be instead on the next statement since it didn't post til this statement closed? (Showing as statement balance)

Or any ideas how to track/view cashback history?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by nrdk
Statement closed today, with the AP test run as my statement balance (grumble). Took 3 days to post which is frustrating, however I do not see the additional cashback I expected. Any idea if it will be instead on the next statement since it didn't post til this statement closed? (Showing as statement balance)

Or any ideas how to track/view cashback history?
IME, often times transaction posted within 3-5 days of statement date are included in the follow statements cash back rewards. Has happened to me on several occasions and normally shows up no problem.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:08 am

Sorry if this has been answered. i have read the entire thread however it has been awhile now.

Just want to make sure that this method will be OK.

I am sending 1k to my best friend via amazon payments. He then receives it and deposit it into my bank. He then sends me 1k from his credit card to my account. I then deposit it. Will amazon say anything because they see me giving him 1k and he is giving me 1k back?

Thanks for your input
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by oracles4444
Sorry if this has been answered. i have read the entire thread however it has been awhile now.

I am sending 1k to my best friend via amazon payments. He then receives it and deposit it into my bank. He then sends me 1k from his credit card to my account. I then deposit it. Will amazon say anything because they see me giving him 1k and he is giving me 1k back?

Thanks for your input

Surprised you missed this If you read back already,as the answer would be there many times.
The general concensus here is never do back and forth transactions (A-B/B-A) as this "may" raise red flags with Amz. and possible shut down.
You will see many (including myself) who will advise A to B and B to C. Then C can send money back to A.

Cheers
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by oracles4444

Thanks for your input
not recommended. At all. A->B->A transfers are known for troubles.

However, some people say they are doing it w/o any problems.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
delete
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jonnyd13
IME, often times transaction posted within 3-5 days of statement date are included in the follow statements cash back rewards. Has happened to me on several occasions and normally shows up no problem.
That's what I figured, however it is frustrating the Discover has no way to track where cash back came form as far as I can tell. Also annoying that we didn't get the AP test Ah well
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:54 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
not recommended. At all. A->B->A transfers are known for troubles.

However, some people say they are doing it w/o any problems.
I've been doing this since the AZ payment method started and have had zero issues at all... It's a total YMMV situation.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:11 pm

Is everybody's AP going through ok? I'm getting an error since last week. After inputing my card info the system goes to error and telling they are trying to fix it.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Amazon Gift cards

Does anyone know if amazon gift cards charged to Discover and Chase Freedom (amazon is a 5% cash back partner this quarter) will earn the 5% cash back or is it purchases of goods only?

I purchase a lot through Amazon through the year and want to just purchase 2-$1,500 gift cards and apply them to my amazon account, since I know I will burn through $3k in purchases by March, 2014 on Amazon. I just want to make sure that I will get the 5% cash back before doing this and that I can also apply the cards to the same amazon account I purchased them from.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Does anyone know if amazon gift cards charged to Discover and Chase Freedom (amazon is a 5% cash back partner this quarter) will earn the 5% cash back or is it purchases of goods only?

I purchase a lot through Amazon through the year and want to just purchase 2-$1,500 gift cards and apply them to my amazon account, since I know I will burn through $3k in purchases by March, 2014 on Amazon. I just want to make sure that I will get the 5% cash back before doing this and that I can also apply the cards to the same amazon account I purchased them from.
Why not just test the waters? Order a $5 on each card, wait for statement to close, and then find out if you get CB or not. You have all quarter to do the spending, not like there is a rush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.